Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

Why are people so concerned about frame count

First of all I have been simming since 1998.Being a film major in college I always learned that simming is a different beast than other games on the market.  First person shooter, racing games and so on, yes then we are looking for max frames  Just to make it simple an old theory has been just lock your frames at 30 and you wiill get decent performance

Concluding look at my specs, not the greatest but decent, Yes, I do lock  my frames at 30, and you know what, I have no stuterring, and good performance. Happy camper

• Like 5

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

Simmers have chased frame rates since the beginning of time.  Seems to be an obsession with them.  😳

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I was one of those that was always trying to get more frames until a few months ago when I decided to turn off the fps counter and just enjoy flying, best decision ever👍

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900k@5.1ghz | MSI Rtx3080ti 12gb | 32gb DDR4 Ram 3600mhz | 1Tb M.2 SSD | 4K LG C1 48" TV | Asus Tuf Gaming VG27AQ 27"  | Corsair iCUE H100i  Liquid Cooler |

6 minutes ago, RabH said:

I was one of those that was always trying to get more frames until a few months ago when I decided to turn off the fps counter and just enjoy flying, best decision ever👍

Yep. The best performance-boost tip of them all👍

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Simmers have chased frame rates since the beginning of time.  Seems to be an obsession with them.  😳

I would say Gamers in general not solely simmers, I remember back when FPS Counters first became a thing around the time that GPUs started to become Beefcake!

Personally right now I need to keep an eye on the FPS due to using VR, the fluctuations are far more aggressive than in pancake mode in different situations, so having to dial in the settings after every Sim Update becomes a chore, but a worthy one in the end. When I find a happy medium then I'll turn off the FPS display, but for the most part it's on.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

because the more FPS, the more responsive the aircraft will feel. Also if you have a 60hz monitor, having the FPS as close as the monitor refresh rate is always better. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

FPS is more a macho thing than a measuring thing.  As long as your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the sim, FPS means nothing.  Most movies are recorded at 24 FPS.

Bottom line is you won't be a better flight simmer at 60 FPS than at 30 FPS.  "Different strokes for different folks"

Roy 

• Upvote 1

24 fps hahaha.

• Like 7

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Both points of view on FPS are valid. Yes, what really counts is smoothness of flight, not the measured FPS. But smoothness is largely subjective. What feels smooth to one person might not to another, and FPS is useful in making direct comparisons, especially when changing the settings in MSFS to achieve optimal performance. There is some analogy to temperature and weather: I don't need a thermometer to tell me if it's boiling hot or freezing, but it certainly is useful when I want to know exactly how hot or cold it is, not just how it "feels".

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The mature simmer knows less is more.

I can run my sim at 24fps and I beat it looks far smoother on my screen than it does for others looking to get the max possible frame rate.

I'd be willing to wager that my solution is even better than Gsync even though I've never seen Gsync. 😋

I've always liked 40 for the smoothness. I change my settings to achieve that steady 40, set the limit in Nvidia Control Panel, and forget it. I do look at the GPU and CPU temps every now and then with Afterburner's OSD, but the FPS? Nah.

Edited by patful

10 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

The mature simmer knows less is more.

I can run my sim at 24fps and I beat it looks far smoother on my screen than it does for others looking to get the max possible frame rate.

As smooth, maybe; far smoother, no way. Since the last update I am seeing FPS in excess of 50, sometimes 60(!), and the feeling of immersion and responsiveness is beyond anything I have seen before. 

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On my old 60 Hz monitor, 60 fps vs 30 was very noticeable.  On my 144hz I don't have enough experience to really judge what is smoothest (nor do I have the time to fiddle with it).  I believe I'm locked at 40 in NCP at the moment.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Interesting because I think I’m less concerned with frame count recently, but that may be because I’m lucky enough to have the hardware for it to not be a problem usually.

I remember the FSX days using shiftZ for most flights, trying to make sure I was hitting 20 and getting quite stressed if I wasn’t, closing the flight, searching online for more fiber fraction tips etc.

With MSFS I very rarely check unless I’m trying new settings. As long as it’s smooth, I don’t care what number smooth it is.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I only worried about fps when I was using FSX, P3D, and XP.

My new system allows me to run locked @30 with smooth simulation everywhere I fly.

With those legacy chasing acceptable fps was futile. I'm glad those days are over.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.