Sign in to follow this  
Shack95

Sim vs Real

Just now, mtaxp said:

So I expressed my own opinion about available products. How oes it compare to comparing to an *unreleased* product other than trying to provoke another debate like @abrams_tank is always doing? He mentions x-plane 12 in here more than anyone else!!! Why he is fine but i'm not?! 

Why do we have to discuss XP on the MSFS forum we don't go out of our way to annoy the people on the XP forum? 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, tweekz said:

So what was that major news in reference to my statement?

Don't run away from your own statement, you said I promised stuff to people, where?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

So for you it is all about orthos and photogrammetry? Good for you!  Flight model does not matter, avionics, accurate weather, much better SDK...

When it is MSFS you all like: "it is a 10 years old project!!! Be patient" 

Meanwhile even x-plane 11 is better at all of the above excluding orthos (that can be done for free yeah?), x-plane 12 will be even more better at those, will it still be inferior product if so?  And will even have native seasons and better trees.

Dear abrams, stop the almost promotional comments of yours please 😉

And no please don't mention LMDG, as an x-plane user I don't care, we already have much better than the same PMDG 737 from pretty much more than a decade ago. Yawn.

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive-thru.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Why do we have to discuss XP on the MSFS forum we don't go out of our way to annoy the people on the XP forum? 

Someone mentioned something that I have a different opinion about, I have every right to write it. Note how many people jumped in just because I said something nice about x-plane.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

So I expressed my own opinion about available products. How does it compare to comparing to an *unreleased* product other than trying to provoke another debate like @abrams_tank is always doing? He mentions x-plane 12 in here more than anyone else!!! Why he is fine but i'm not?! 

I'll let Abrams chime in on that question... but to be fair, don't folks on XP forums throw around these talking points and bash MSFS regularly? I recall that during 2019->2021 when I was monitoring all the forums to help me decide on which product to get in order to myself back into flight simming, I'd see this all the time. In any case, we'll agree to disagree I guess about our opinions of these sim products, but no hard feelings. I guess the original intent of this thread has now been drowned out, and I sense a thread lock coming, but @Shack95 please post more great reality vs sim comparisons on another thread if so :)

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

33 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

imo, x-plane 11 is better at flight model, avionics and SDK. If x-plane 12 will be even better (logic) hence...? So no, not promotional. But saying that the *unreleased* xp12 is already inferior seems like someone is really worried about his own interest. My opinion, you can ignore it. If you don't want to see the name x-plane here, maybe revert to @abrams_tank first rather than attacking me.

How can X-Plane be better at avionics when avionics quality is a property of an aircraft add-on and not the base simulator? Avionics quality is determined by how well it is implemented by the particular developer, it has nothing to do with the simulator. Have you even looked at the SDKs of both? I develop add-ons for both simulators and I would refrain from making a bold claim like that, both have their distinct advantages and disavantages.

Also, given that you don't want to hear about "LMDG" 737, what about Leonardo MD-82? It is easily one of the most realistic (in terms of systems) airliners for any simulator, from physically based implementations of several systems and working circuit breakers to persistent aircraft state and maintenance. It is a great example of what can be done with MSFS SDK. I'm not even talking about the upcoming Fenix A320, which is based on ProSim, an A320 implementation that is used for pilot training by various airlines worldwide.

X-Plane indeed has a better flight model, but this was pretty much the only thing you were accurate about. However quality of a simulation is not only measured by flight model, systems are as important for a realistic simulation experience, and both simulators are more than capable enough for simulating aircraft systems. In fact, if I had to choose between the slightly better flight model of Rotate MD-88 and much better systems of Leonardo MD-82, I would go with Leonardo MD-82 without a doubt.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

4 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

Someone mentioned something that I have a different opinion about, I have every right to write it. Note how many people jumped in just because I said something nice about x-plane.

People "jumped in" not because you said something nice about X-Plane, people "jumped in" because you made inaccurate statements about MSFS to say something nice about X-Plane. I have lots of nice things to say about X-Plane, especially the upcoming X-Plane 12, but I can do that without repeating the same inaccurate "MSFS for visuals, X-Plane for simulation" stereotypes which are based on no facts whatsoever.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

There's obviously differences in fidelity and the general grime and "random" messiness of the real world, but man it's really impressive what Asobo/Microsoft have managed to accomplish for the entire planet when you consider that what you're looking at here was created by largely automated systems and geographic data and requires no real work (or added expense) on the part of the person using the sim.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

Don't run away from your own statement, you said I promised stuff to people, where?

It's obviously implicit in your responses. Here are some more and then I'm done hijacking this thread.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:40 AM, mtaxp said:

My bet is x-plane 12 will be released before msfs matures.

I expect 2021 to be great for flight simulation in all platforms.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

2 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

People "jumped in" not because you said something nice about X-Plane, people "jumped in" because you made inaccurate statements about MSFS to say something nice about X-Plane. I have lots of nice things to say about X-Plane, especially the upcoming X-Plane 12, but I can do that without repeating the same inaccurate "MSFS for visuals, X-Plane for simulation" stereotypes which are based on no facts whatsoever.

I expressed my own opinion about available products! I tried MSFS, I already had x-plane 11, I chose the latter dur to the exact reasons I wrote based on my own experience. On the other hand, x-plane 12 is not released and declared inferior, not for the first time rather for the 1000th time by @abrams_tank. So I did excatly the same as him deliberately just from the other edge of this whole debate  presenting a hypothitical x-plane 12 condition (unreleased!!!), why I am the wrong one here getting the backlash?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

I fly MSFS, and you will not see any posts from me on the X plane forum, raving about how great MSFS is. I also  don't go into Apple Stores e and start telling people how wonderful Windows is. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

6 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Very eloquent. My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

It's obviously implicit in your responses. Here are some more and then I'm done hijacking this thread.

*My*! *Bet*! What can be more speculative than that?!

Where does it say, I promise x-plane will be released at x timeframe? Apologize.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mtaxp said:

I expressed my own opinion about available products! I tried MSFS, I already had x-plane 11, I chose the latter dur to the exact reasons I wrote based on my own experience. On the other hand, x-plane 12 is not released and declared inferior, not for the first time rather for the 1000th time by @abrams_tank. So I did excatly the same as him deliberately just from the other edge of this whole debate  presenting a hypothitical x-plane 12 condition (unreleased!!!), why I am the wrong one here getting the backlash?

MSFS is only a couple of years old and has already left X plane in the dust. X plane has been around for decades, and still is lacking in many areas. Why is that? 

• Upvote 2