Sign in to follow this  
Shack95

Sim vs Real

In the beginning cities were too bright in MSFS. This looks quite OK right now.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

But what it won't have are buildings, fields and woods and pretty much everything else in the right place. These are also vital for VR flight so I doubt it will be at all realistic?

XP11 has buildings in the right place by using the same data as MSFS.  I find the use of the word realistic quite odd when talking of a modern sim like XP12.  The latest videos of that product are looking amazingly realistic to my eyes.

We have the best of all worlds with MSFS and XP12.  

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, mtaxp said:

Thats my point, if somebody is flying vfr based on "this building roof is green" or this "terrain should be brown mud" his practice is not safe imo.

If it works for southcal, great, not in my home country and many other locations I experienced that can look radically different from bing and other sources.

I think you misunderstand what prominent landmark means for flying VFR. Snow or not has little to do with that.

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

46 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I guess the question we must ask is do we want our sim to look as much like the real world as possible? Or doesn't it matter?

Sure...but that pretty much always involves a trade-off.  I want a more real-looking world, but not at all cost.  There are things I won't give up, and aggravations I won't tolerate just to get better visuals.  Just in the last few minutes, a bunch of folks are posting about servers being unreachable around the world...again.  That's happening far too often to be acceptable.  The relative realism is a moot issue when you can't reliably access the scenery databases.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

Most real-world simulator training is done on platforms that do not attempt to reproduce an artistically-pleasing exterior view with accurate reproduction/placement of buildings and other infrastructure.  Terrain, user-controllable scenario parameters such as time, season and weather (ceilings, wind, and especially visibility), navaids and the airport environment are what matters outside the aircraft in a training environment, not spotting grandma's house.  I've never heard of an instructor at FlightSafety International putting the sim on pause and telling his trainees "guys, let's take a minute here to have a look at that pretty sunset."

The relative importance of fidelity in the various aspects of a simulation will vary with the user and the purpose of the simulation.  For some, a chock-to-chock procedural simulation with programmable system failures and the ability to set up approach scenarios down to minimums is where it's at.  For others, getting a bird's-eye view of some visually-pleasing scenery while sitting in a 777 fitted with a 4-engine 747 panel is the ideal experience.  Which sim platform you pick will depend on what matters to you.

Bob,

Level D sim has absolutely different focus. No one learns to fly in them!

My points is, when your student got lost or bust  airspace during solo cross-country you most likely appreciate MSFS that depict roof of grand ma house than failures.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Level D sim has absolutely different focus. No one learns to fly in them!

My points is, when your student got lost or bust  airspace during solo cross-country you most likely appreciate MSFS that depict roof of grand ma house than failures.

Au contraire, I used to teach USAF undergraduate pilot training students (and they are still taught) in full-motion simulators.

Like I said before, "the relative importance of fidelity in the various aspects of a simulation will vary with the user and the purpose of the simulation."  If teaching VFR map-reading/navigation is the purpose, then surface detail (but not aesthetic appearance) matters a lot.  For IFR and procedural simulation, not so much.

• Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I don't think either a $40-million level-D sim in a professional training center or a much less expensive microsimulation-based trainer are reasonably considered "just a game."

Most real-world simulator training is done on platforms that do not attempt to reproduce an artistically-pleasing exterior view with accurate reproduction/placement of buildings and other infrastructure.  Terrain, user-controllable scenario parameters such as time, season and weather (ceilings, wind, and especially visibility), navaids and the airport environment are what matters outside the aircraft in a training environment, not spotting grandma's house.  I've never heard of an instructor at FlightSafety International putting the sim on pause and telling his trainees "guys, let's take a minute here to have a look at that pretty sunset."

The relative importance of fidelity in the various aspects of a simulation will vary with the user and the purpose of the simulation.  For some, a chock-to-chock procedural simulation with programmable system failures and the ability to set up approach scenarios down to minimums is where it's at.  For others, getting a bird's-eye view of some visually-pleasing scenery while sitting in a 777 fitted with a 4-engine 747 panel is the ideal experience.  Which sim platform you pick will depend on what matters to you.

This should be pinned in the front page!

• Like 1

Enrique Vaamonde

28 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

Au contraire, I used to teach USAF undergraduate pilot training students (and they are still taught) in full-motion simulators.

Like I said before, "the relative importance of fidelity in the various aspects of a simulation will vary with the user and the purpose of the simulation."  If teaching VFR map-reading/navigation is the purpose, then surface detail (but not aesthetic appearance) matters a lot.  For IFR and procedural simulation, not so much.

I can't comment on Air Force, I only flew with military pilots who wanted to transition to civilian airplane. There were certainly some  gaps we had to cover . But then again not every student pilot is a military cadet  preselected by government for expedited intense training.  I would dare to say majority are not!

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

XP11 has buildings in the right place by using the same data as MSFS.  I find the use of the word realistic quite odd when talking of a modern sim like XP12.  The latest videos of that product are looking amazingly realistic to my eyes.

We have the best of all worlds with MSFS and XP12.  

But at the present time we have XP11.

Edited by jarmstro

Sure...but that pretty much always involves a trade-off.  I want a more real-looking world, but not at all cost.  There are things I won't give up, and aggravations I won't tolerate just to get better visuals.  Just in the last few minutes, a bunch of folks are posting about servers being unreachable around the world...again.  That's happening far too often to be acceptable.  The relative realism is a moot issue when you can't reliably access the scenery databases.

It's horses for courses. There may be moments when the servers play up but for me, as I use sims for entertainment, visual fidelity trumps everything. And I have no doubt that Meyer, if he had the means to do it, would incorporate streaming scenery into X-Plane despite his denials.

Edited by jarmstro

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

I think you misunderstand what prominent landmark means for flying VFR. Snow or not has little to do with that.

Yes I do.

Tell me, if this "prominent" photogrammetry landmark is under some rennovation and now it's surroundings now look different than MSFS, can you count on it? 

I agree, it can help preparing for a flight, it might help when getting lost, but frankly if you are teaching your students to navigate based on photogrammetry or orthos, it is imo a horrible and unsafe practice and I mean it the nicest way possible.

What is more improtant for VFR? Roads/mesh/water bodies/vectors/towns/cities OR the colors of the ground and the roofs (those are not even in maps...)?

Edited by mtaxp
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

But at the present time we have XP11.

Yes, and it's great!  XP12 will be another step forward for flight simulation enthusiasts.  

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

3 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Yes, and it's great!  XP12 will be another step forward for flight simulation enthusiasts.  

I still have XP11 installed and am longing for XP12 because it has been surpassed from my point of view.

Just now, jarmstro said:

I still have XP11 installed and am longing for XP12 because it has been surpassed from my point of view.

Good for you, after all we all have a personal choice.  Nobody has yet seen the final version of XP-12, so I will keep an open mind and continue to be excited at the prospect of another flight sim being updated with modern graphics. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Good for you, after all we all have a personal choice.  Nobody has yet seen the final version of XP-12, so I will keep an open mind and continue to be excited at the prospect of another flight sim being updated with modern graphics. 

I will certainly second that.