Sign in to follow this  
wiggum

They fly always IFR?

Hi,

just a small question:

Lets say we have as small (or big) regional airline that flies planes like a Caravan, Twin Otter, Kodiak or Cessna Citation.

Lets say they fly from one towered airport to another in a country with medium to high activity in the airspace (like North America or Europe).

Lets say the departure and destination airport are both VFR, few clouds.

Would they still fly IFR? Or maybe even VFR?

I imagine its some work to submit an IFR flight plan but on the other hand avoiding clouds is also not really easy and i can imagine it would especially irritate passengers.

So what would happen in real life? 9 out of 10 times they would still fly IFR i would imagine (because safer)?

Or am i wrong?

Not talking about Class B airspace. But Class C airspace around the towered destination and departure airports. 

If I recall, Part 121 and 135 operators shall/must conduct all operations using IFR rules. Therefore, yeah. Always fly IFR.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Typically IFR. However, they on occasion, and due to purpose, can get a special VFR with flight following.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

It depends on the country. In the USA this changed in the 1960s with the Grand Canyon incident. In other countries VFR is still occasionally done.

Well i always felt a bit silly flying a Caravan with 5 passengers with Live Weather on a sunny day without clouds in IFR. Now i feel better about that. 🙂

Thanks.

Many companies are required to fly IFR for insurance purposes. Positive separation being the key factor.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Here is an Endeavor LGA to JFK charter/repositioning and they flew VFR. I don't really know about any other circumstance in which they would.

spacer.png