Sign in to follow this  
pobee10

Tip for Panning Stutter

Been dealing with annoying panning stutters with a good frame rate for a while and think I solved the issue so I thought I would pass along.

if you suffer from panning stutters with otherwise good FPS, take a look at your “free look momentum” setting in the camera settings.  Mine was at 50 and after brining it to zero the annoying stutter is gone. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, didn't work for me. Mine was already at zero and still get a bad stutter. 

The most effective way I've found to reduce panning stutter is to enable the rolling cache (default 8 GIB size), set Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching to LOW, and make sure V-Sync is ON (30 FPS limit).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MadDog said:

The most effective way I've found to reduce panning stutter is to enable the rolling cache (default 8 GIB size), set Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching to LOW, and make sure V-Sync is ON (30 FPS limit).

Absolutely spot on.  I find medium is OK though on my system using ultra for most other settings.

Rolling cache and vsync 30 also helps a lot.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Interesting. I set Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching to Ultra to get rid of the stutters while looking around and it worked a treat. As this essentially removes the unloading and reloading of objects.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lowering the Terrain LOD (100-200) was the only remedy for me. Keep that slider at a number that your system can handle and you will avoid panning stutters.

• Like 3

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

23 hours ago, pobee10 said:

Been dealing with annoying panning stutters with a good frame rate for a while and think I solved the issue so I thought I would pass along.

if you suffer from panning stutters with otherwise good FPS, take a look at your “free look momentum” setting in the camera settings.  Mine was at 50 and after brining it to zero the annoying stutter is gone. 

Thanks for the tip.  I tried this and it works for me as well.

17 hours ago, MadDog said:

The most effective way I've found to reduce panning stutter is to enable the rolling cache

The problem with enabling rolling cache is that I found it creates connection issues. With rolling cache turned off, I no longer have server disconnection issues.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:22 PM, pobee10 said:

Hi, where is the location of the camera file and look for that setting please.

20 hours ago, jcuellar said:

Hi, where is the location of the camera file and look for that setting please.

You don't need the file, pobee10 is talking about the in sim settings page- General options- camera settings 

• Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Setting Low Latency to ULTRA in NV Control Panel def helps--I haven't done the other two methods to improve or eliminate this issue mentioned here.  I do use Vsync to 30fps and do have Terrain Pre-Caching to ULTRA and yet don't have panning stutter.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Setting Low Latency to ULTRA in NV Control Panel def helps--I haven't done the other two methods to improve or eliminate this issue mentioned here.  I do use Vsync to 30fps and do have Terrain Pre-Caching to ULTRA and yet don't have panning stutter.

Everything I've read about ultra low latency says you're more likely experiencing a placebo effect. The mode only does anything if you're getting high FPS and you're GPU-bound. Also, it doesn't even work in DX12, so if you're using DX12, then it's definitely not doing anything. 

6 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Everything I've read about ultra low latency says you're more likely experiencing a placebo effect. The mode only does anything if you're getting high FPS and you're GPU-bound. Also, it doesn't even work in DX12, so if you're using DX12, then it's definitely not doing anything. 

Did you try it? It's definitely not placebo! At least in my case it's one of the most effective setting that eliminates stutters and makes panning very smooth. Turning it off makes an extremely noticeable difference.