Sign in to follow this  
Guest weeniemcween

Bouncing on water with SP1

Guest CocoLoco

>Interesting though that some users don't seem to have the>issue or less so. Maybe there are terrain/cfg related settings>that minimize the effect?>>Cheers, Holger HolgerThanks for confirming my suspicions. I have tried playing around with my config settings and have discovered that (at least for me) if I set the Mesh Resolution to 1m, it more or less gets rid of the problem. I get the very occasional jump but nowhere near as bad as it was. I think Mesh Complexity may also be implicated in this but I think the Mesh Resolution setting is the main issue.I think this relates to what you were saying about the round earth model. Lakes are no longer flat and I wonder if rounding errors are creeping in when we have certain config setting values. I hope this possible fix works for other people as well.CheersDavid

Hello David,that sounds interesting. I usually keep mesh res at 10m and mesh complexity at 80 (100 gives no visible difference to 80) but I'll run a few tests with different values and let you guys know.Cheers, Holger

Guest weeniemcween

Heavens no, don't fix it.I was just getting used to hopping along in my lowrider. :)

Guest Hominuk

Any update on this? I have the same problem with the Aerosoft Beaver.

Guest steve43

Has anyone told Aces about this bug? I am thinking of sending an email to them as it is quite annoying not to have this working correctly.Steve

Guest CocoLoco

>Has anyone told Aces about this bug? I am thinking of sending>an email to them as it is quite annoying not to have this>working correctly.>>SteveCan you please try setting the Mesh Resolution in your Scenery settings to 1m and then let us know if that helps? It seemed to solve the problem for me but it would be good to know if works for other people. David

Setting Mess Resolution to 1m has worked for me. Very few bounces now.Dan

Guest steve43

Yea, cheers will do, thanksSteve

Hi FolksHolger -This issue is not just limited to floatplanes & vessels.For me it can be observed everywhere & all the time,occuring on a regular cycle, (I'll check timing interval & confirm corresponding events).Not just during viewpoint changes, but also during static observation.If you are moving around, or sat in a bobbing aircraft/vessel,users might be discounting the movement as natural/fluke occurence.It occurs with both - - all sliders fully left, (inc FPS locked at 10). - all sliders fully left except terrain, all sliders fully right. It appears to correspond with disk accessesfor the terrain engine performing a repeated elevation recalculation.It also happened in RTM, (and earlier), most noticeably with the baggage cart & loader truck models.Observed after generating an AFCAD for the default offshore oilrig model,and was surprised to see these displayed there, floating in mid-air.Even more suprised by the jumping behaviour.The push-back tug does not exhibit this behaviour.At a guess, altering the contact info may minimise the occurence,but is only masking an underlying event.HTHATBPaulhttp://www.basys.f9.co.uk/resources/images..._sig_500x94.jpg

I had a quick question relating to this bouncing issue. Can setting the mesh resolution to 1M hurt performance in anyway, or is it worth the trade off? Thanks for your input. :)

Hi FolksPSWhilst I've got you water-interested folks attention,could you please check out something.If you pause, or slew,and don't move for a whiledo you get land textures displaying under your aircraft/ship ?You may need to use an external view,as the panels/cockpit generally obscure the hi-detail mip area.See attached screenies -Many thanksATBPaulhttp://www.basys.f9.co.uk/resources/images..._sig_500x94.jpg

Does this make any sense?1. There is a boolean variable, SimIsOnGround. When this is true, the aircraft position is computed relative to ground elevation. In FS9, the ground was, in most cases, flat so this was easy to compute.2. In FSX we know there is the "round earth" model. Hence, mesh must be computed, even under flatten areas / water.3. In the past, IIUC, the terrain engine would use the max vertex level and some other LOD radius cfg entries to compute the mesh. Basically use the TMVL for the near-view mesh and reduce the LOD in the distance. Once the mesh was computed and stored, the engine would compute an error term between the computed mesh and the actual mesh. If the difference (size of error term) exceeded a config setting, the mesh would be recomputed.4. I assume the same basic setup is in effect, using the resolution and complexity sliders. Of course, when the error term is very close to the limit (derived from the complexity term?) you could perhaps get in a condition where you are recomputing the mesh over and over. there probably needs to be some sort of hysteresis (hey I'm not a controls engineer so maybe not the right term) or "null zone" to prevent this.5. We know that changes were made in SP1 to allow placement of 100m2 "flat" polygons on flattened terrain. So it is not outside of possibility that there was a side effect from this fix, which is causing the flatten elevation to be recomputed such that the ground/water changes elevation (makes A/C appear to jump). It may be aggravated in water, since the aircraft is designed to "bob" on the waves.scott s..