Sign in to follow this  
sanh

Has MSFS stalled?

9 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

but I guess their only recourse is to try other sims until whatever feature X/Y/etc they desire comes into MSFS in order to cure their boredom...

True.

Some people (though not that many, it seems) are caught in the middle. To them the older flight sim platforms 'look dated' / 'need tonnes of add-ons' / 'don't perform well' and MSFS isn't ready for them either.
I'm lucky that my P3D, with all the bells and whistles I have thrown at it, has kept my entertained for as long as it has.

The upcoming arrival of the Fenix A320 will get me back into MSFS. The SU10 improvements are very likely to keep me in it.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

How did I know that this thread would turn into yet another my sim is better thanyour sim argument? 

My post isn't any such thing.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

11 minutes ago, F737NG said:

True.

Some people (though not that many, it seems) are caught in the middle. To them the older flight sim platforms 'look dated' / 'need tonnes of add-ons' / 'don't perform well' and MSFS isn't ready for them either.
I'm lucky that my P3D, with all the bells and whistles I have thrown at it, has kept my entertained for as long as it has.

The upcoming arrival of the Fenix A320 will get me back into MSFS. The SU10 improvements are very likely to keep me in it.

I find it odd some people think one should bin hundreds/thousand of pounds/dollars spent on a flight sim because another one is released.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

30 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I find it odd some people think one should bin hundreds/thousand of pounds/dollars spent on a flight sim because another one is released.

It's not odd when the new sim is transformative and revolutionary. For many, including me (a long-time fan of FSX), once I experienced MSFS there was no turning back.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, cobalt said:

It's not odd when the new sim is transformative and revolutionary. For many, including me (a long-time fan of FSX), once I experienced MSFS there was no turning back.

After getting MSFS last year, and flying it for about 2 months, I had to send my new PC back to the company for repair. I dug out my last PC that still had P3D on it , which I had flown for many years.  It was beyond horrible. Like going from a 4K HDR TV back to a 15" BW TV with rabbit ears. Couldn't wait get get my repaired PC back and MSFS. 

• Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 5/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, ryanbatc said:

What?  Constant sim updates, world updates, server side updates, more and more third party addons (and higher fidelity than ever before), a steady flow of user mods (flightsim.to if you've never been)

Seems like the opposite of your post.

Pretty much what I was thinking. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

56 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Would be even weirder to fall into the sunk cost fallacy trap of sticking to something purely because you invested in it, despite it being the worse option overall and only kept alive through the artificial life support of ones investments. 

• Like 4

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

58 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I look at it like any other hobby where there comes a point for a big upgrade.  New golf clubs, new bike, etc. all set you back big time and the old stuff is essentially garbage.  But anyone in a hobby goes through these type of changes over time.  I guess in flight sim the big one is the new computer build and once in a long while a new sim comes along.

• Like 4

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

3 hours ago, Sethos said:

Would be even weirder to fall into the sunk cost fallacy trap of sticking to something purely because you invested in it, despite it being the worse option overall and only kept alive through the artificial life support of ones investments. 

It's not sunk cost fallacy if you currently enjoy what you already own.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

I look at it like any other hobby where there comes a point for a big upgrade.  New golf clubs, new bike, etc. all set you back big time and the old stuff is essentially garbage.  But anyone in a hobby goes through these type of changes over time.  I guess in flight sim the big one is the new computer build and once in a long while a new sim comes along.

That's a really interesting aspect ... I remember a time, when FSX "stalled" (pun intended 😀) - i.e. was stopped and other flightsims were developed further. The argument of the FSX users was "I have invested so much*, so I don't want to switch." And it was (somewhat) a valid point. However, nowadays it's not valid anymore because ... 🤔?
* And it's not only money but also time to e.g. build up knowledge.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

15 minutes ago, uwespeed said:

That's a really interesting aspect ... I remember a time, when FSX "stalled" (pun intended 😀) - i.e. was stopped and other flightsims were developed further. The argument of the FSX users was "I have invested so much*, so I don't want to switch." And it was (somewhat) a valid point. However, nowadays it's not valid anymore because ... 🤔?
* And it's not only money but also time to e.g. build up knowledge.

At least the investment in MSFS is less.  You really don't have to worry about mesh, landclass, city and airport scenery, weather, cameras, etc....maybe just add a few of your key airports.  You are basically just left with aircraft and they are for the most part much cheaper in MSFS.

• Like 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

7 minutes ago, MarkW said:

At least the investment in MSFS is less.  You really don't have to worry about mesh, landclass, city and airport scenery, weather, cameras, etc....maybe just add a few of your key airports.  You are basically just left with aircraft and they are for the most part much cheaper in MSFS.

I am mostly retired on a pretty tight budget, and while I could easily afford MSFS, there is no way I could afford one of the other sims and the money to fix them up. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am mostly retired on a pretty tight budget, and while I could easily afford MSFS, there is no way I could afford one of the other sims and the money to fix them up. 

So much of Flight Sim is the hype machine and fear of missing out.  If you stick with what you know you will fly it can really cut down the costs.  I know I mostly fly airliners but do occasionally like to fly GA...so I have just 1 GA plane, the Constellation.  Took a lot to resist the 310 but I know I will not fly it much if at all.

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

9 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Good thing you hobby isn't boating. With current fuel prices, I can buy a new sim and all of the addons with the fuel money I burn on a weekend. It's the college fund from the kids I never had. 🙂

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

51 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

Good thing you hobby isn't boating. With current fuel prices, I can buy a new sim and all of the addons with the fuel money I burn on a weekend. It's the college fund from the kids I never had. 🙂

HaHa - I live on a UK canal narrowboat😀