Sign in to follow this  
Mace

KSEZ Sedona, Ground Effect Oddity

Guest weeniemcween

Hi,I'm experiencing what seems to be an anomaly at KSEZ, Sedona Airport. Basically if I try to land there during during the daytime I float endlessly, suspended in ground effect as soon as I reach the beginning of the plateau. This occurs regardless of flap and throttle sending. The only landings I've managed to achieve, besides not during the daytime, are when dropping below the plateau/runway level on approach and pulling up at the last minute, only to float about half the length of the runway as opposed to the full distance. Not the safest nor realistic procedure, to say the least.No jets (not meant for them anyway), but i've tested a slew of default/add on props. Helis have a similar problem - they just don't want to descend over the plateau.Turning thermal visualization on, one can see great thermals over the airport so i'm guessing that's the problem.Even with sp1 - which included some thermal work - and activesky x - fantastic program by the way - i'm still experiencing this problem.Anyone else? Maybe one of our resident experts can provide a quick fix, pretty please? It would be a lovely default airport if not for this floating problem. I've watched some sedona landings on youtube and they certainly don't match what I'm seeing in the sim.

Guest weeniemcween

Doesn't anyone know what i'm talking about or care? KSEZ is a landmark airport, so BUMP.

Guest weeniemcween

Well then.Turning off thermal/turbulence effects allows me to land at KSEZ, so it's almost certainly a problem with the thermal mapping for that airport. Using the alternate thermaldescriptions in the avsim library doesn't help, so does anyone know how to edit or exclude the thermals for a specific location? I don't like the idea of having to turn them off just before a day landing every time.

>Well then.>>Turning off thermal/turbulence effects allows me to land at>KSEZ, so it's almost certainly a problem with the thermal>mapping for that airport. Using the alternate>thermaldescriptions in the avsim library doesn't help, so does>anyone know how to edit or exclude the thermals for a specific>location? I don't like the idea of having to turn them off>just before a day landing every time.You are impatient. ;)What you did, (disable the thermal/turb effects on aircraft) is the quick way to end the problem. However...you lose all of the nice effects of turbulence.The SDK has documentation on the thermals. I have not had time to experiment with thermal scenery myself. I do not know if they can be EXCLUDED like other types of scenery, but I would think they could.If so, then Sedona needs a big fat exclude of the thermal right over it.I too have experienced the same issue when on short final. Talk about messing up an approach. I think the thermal effect is too strong. I got mad at the sim, and pitched down at a 90 degree angle in my DC-3, and yet I was still rising. That was ridiculous.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest weeniemcween

Yeah I know I'm impatient but it's just so darn annoying. I did run into multiple forum reports of people being unable to land the dc-3 because of thermals. The problem at KSEZ affects all aircraft and it is absolutely impossible to land them without crashing to nose into the runway or smashing the front gear(s). Yes, a thermal exclude would be great or maybe someone can figure out a way to exclude Sedona's type, whether that be runway and/or plateau, etc.I know there are some talented individuals roaming these forums and I implore you to fix Sedona, a most unusual airport.Ideally, a developer will finally do this location the honor it deserves.

I just now read the SDK on thermals...It appears that you could create a thermal over the same spot that had a neutral effect, or downdraft, if you wanted. I am not sure if this could counteract or override the existing thermal there.I did not see anything about excluding thermals in the ExclusionRectangle command. And I don't think you can exclude them using Shp2Vec either. Thermals are a weather object.Thermals in FSX seem to be effected by the landclass that's underneath them. Each landclass value has a thermal effect associated with it. I bet if you changed the landclass at Sedona you might see a different or no thermal effect. You should get EZ-Landclass and experiment there.EZ-Landclass is so easy to use, even I can use it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest weeniemcween

Thanks for your interest, Rhett.Yeah, I figured it could easily be a landclass issue. Changing from scenerytech to fsg or cloud9 doesn't seem to help, but there's a good possibility they all have the same landclass for the plateau. I'll definitely look into EZ-Landclass.I'm hoping that by fs12 the sim will have a built in hands on editor which anyone can use and does automatic backups. That way we won't have to delve into sdk jargon to perform what at face value are simple alterations and corrections, as well as personal scenery. There are plenty of games that have that capability and it befits fs more than anything.