Sign in to follow this  
captain420

FENIX NDA lifted at 1200Z!!!!!!!!!

Blackbox is so insightful and intelligent. I really wish he'd be more critical at times too. Sometime's he'll see something wrong and say, "Well, for a $50 product on a home desktop that's still good-" which is the kind of comment I wouldn't want if I was striving to push the envelope as far as possible.

I love his insight into where things will eventually be though. He keeps hinting that all the tiny inconsistencies he expects to be polished post release.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

7 minutes ago, tup61 said:

You wish. But I'll let you discover what the future brings on your own. 😉

Hehe - I'm sort of in the same situation.  With 4 kids, one a baby, I've got very little time to actually sim.  I can fire it up to test something quick but I don't prefer to have the baby in my lap (screens) and he pretty much needs constant attention.  It's been a hard realization for me actually.  FS is something I really enjoy, and am probably addicted to anyway.  I would give up all other PC games or software to continue to use flight sims.  But as rest of my kids age - it would be prudent to actually be there and parent them hehe.  I hope to get back on the flightsim train more consistently 5 years down the road or so.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Hehe - I'm sort of in the same situation.  With 4 kids, one a baby, I've got very little time to actually sim.  I can fire it up to test something quick but I don't prefer to have the baby in my lap (screens) and he pretty much needs constant attention.  It's been a hard realization for me actually.  FS is something I really enjoy, and am probably addicted to anyway.  I would give up all other PC games or software to continue to use flight sims.  But as rest of my kids age - it would be prudent to actually be there and parent them hehe.  I hope to get back on the flightsim train more consistently 5 years down the road or so.

I only got one, but I remember your troubles. I had him tight up close to me in a towel while sitting at the PC and doing a flight while he was sleeping. 😄

• Like 7

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

LOL! We are truly armchair-pilots! 😄

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

One and done and now she’s a nearly ten year old that likes occasional flight simming so I think I have it made 😀

• Like 6

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Just now, regis9 said:

One and done and now she’s a nearly ten year old that likes occasional flight simming so I think I have it made 😀

My daughter (my oldest) used to enjoy it but she's moved on to better things haha.  My boys sometimes like it but when they earn the small amount of screen time its usually spent on Age of Empire II (yes the old version lol - what a classic)

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, roi1862 said:

The Fenix sure looks great. My only concern is the performance. Watching few streamers it looks its worse then the PMDG performance wise.

Ya some streamers/reviewers have had great performance like KatiePilot and a320simpilot (https://www.youtube.com/c/320SimPilot/videos) while others have hit some stutters occasionally like Fabio.. not sure if it's due to the Fenix itself or their particular setup (i.e. msfs settings, add-ons, multiplayer on or off, dev mode enabled to show fps, etc)

One thing to note is that the Fenix will allow you to set aircraft displays processing to either the CPU, the GPU onboard the CPU (iGPU), or the discrete GPU... so based on your particular setup and if you're usually cpu-bound or gpu-bound you can play around with this setting to get optimal fps.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

All these actual A320 pilots finding the last remaining bugs is gonna keep pushing it back for the rest of us haha. (It's a good thing!)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MDFlier said:

So you're saying that it looks like we've still got a couple more years of throwing hardware at our simulators left until we hit Nirvana?

Or it will take a couple more years before our hardware is utilized in a more sensible way. I'm getting framerate drops in certain situations where I have LOTS of overhead on both GPU and CPU. But the mainthread keeps getting hammered. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

14 minutes ago, nikolajz1 said:

All these actual A320 pilots finding the last remaining bugs is gonna keep pushing it back for the rest of us haha. (It's a good thing!)

I have zero issue with it 😉

6 hours ago, EGLD said:

as a kid, when I saw this high on the shelf in the computer store, what I imagined it would be like is what @Aamir and team have now delivered - 30 years later!

Image 1 - A320 Airbus Edition Europa Amiga Video Discs Game (Rare) Big Box Manuals Thalion

Just this ☝️

• Like 1

Craig Sells

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

I don't have any small children now, in fact I have a couple of great grand daughters that live with their parents. Since I saw the A 320 videos, I have been thinking about getting it, but one thing stops me. Right now I can hop in my C 310 or Kodiak, and within 5 minutes or so, take off for a 1 to 1 1/2 flight at most for my VA. In watching these videos, setting the A 320 up for a flight looks like a real project. By the time someone sets it up, takes off, I could be half way through a one  hour flight. I don't know whether I have the patience anymore to jump through all the hoops to get an A320 ready for a flight. Seems like alot more button pushing than flying. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

@Bobsk8 Time on ground is as long and involved as you want it to be. You can spend 45+ minutes analysing weather, routing, creating an operational flight plan and load sheet, inputting all that to the FMS and starting from cold and dark. Or you can load the aircraft engines running and import a basic flight plan (or even forgo the FMS plan altogether if you're happy to navigate manually "on the fly" and guess your speeds). Although in the latter case, you may as well use the freeware FBW A320 as you're forgoing many of the benefits of a "study sim" addon.

The A320 is slightly quicker to get going than the 737NG in my experience, although not by much. But the A320 easier to learn thanks to the automation and more logical overhead layout. Some of these videos and streamers don't half make a meal out of pre-flight (i've heard of 2+ hours!), I can generally be in the air in about 30 minutes from deciding to fly without taking lots of shortcuts (i.e. a reasonably researched route that takes account of weather, then Simbrief will sort the OFP and loadings and I'll key all that manually into the FMS and import to VATSIM, and load the aircraft engines off).

However, realistic airliner flying is more button pushing than flying unless you're dealing with 1970s and earlier vintage jets - although there's nothing to stop you hand flying most of it if you want to, if you can keep up with the workload whilst operating single crewed.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I don't have any small children now, in fact I have a couple of great grand daughters that live with their parents. Since I saw the A 320 videos, I have been thinking about getting it, but one thing stops me. Right now I can hop in my C 310 or Kodiak, and within 5 minutes or so, take off for a 1 to 1 1/2 flight at most for my VA. In watching these videos, setting the A 320 up for a flight looks like a real project. By the time someone sets it up, takes off, I could be half way through a one  hour flight. I don't know whether I have the patience anymore to jump through all the hoops to get an A320 ready for a flight. Seems like alot more button pushing than flying. 

Hi Bob,

The A320 can boil down to "ready to go" in around 10 steps if you discount flight planning. 

1. Plan your flight via SimBrief.

2. Load the aircraft on the runway of your choice.

3. It will load with engines running.

4. Look over to the EFB, hit the Fenix App, and import your SimBrief plan.

5. Click on weights and balance, hit import, then instant.

6. Look down at the MCDU - INIT - then INIT FPLN UPLINK - put in your planned cruise altitude and CI

7. Next page, input the weights and fuel you're using on your plan

8. Next page, over to the FPLN page, click your departure, and then simply select the runway and desired departure procedure (or just use none!)

9. Over to the PERF page, use the app in the EFB to get your numbers in 3 clicks, and stick em in the PERF page.

10. Set the flap as requested in the EFB, set the trim, hit the TO CONFIG button. Kick the bright and flashy bits on.

Hit the happy levers. 

It'll handle the entire departure for you, maintaining speeds, altitude constraints, the lot. All you need to do is set the altitude knob to your cruise level, and push once. She'll get there respecting all the required legalities.

(or you could fly all of that yourself, aided by the awesome fly by wire system - but either way, you've got the help if you want it!)

Yeah, the A320 is an incredibly complex airplane, and there's a lot of it available for you to dive into in the Fenix, if you want to - but one of the core characteristics of this airplane is it's sheer friendliness and usability, which is what the several dozen computers behind the scenes are working so hard for! 🙂

(Of course... there are quirks..)

• Like 18
  • Upvote 1

Aamir Thacker