Sign in to follow this  
captain420

FENIX NDA lifted at 1200Z!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

My credit card was declined.

I wanted to pay with PayPal, but instead I have bought Twitter now ... 🙄

• Like 8

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Yeah, this is something that plagues MSFS from the start. It's far too sensitive on ground.

Yup, good thing is that Seb said in the last dev Q&A session they have improvements coming, see: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-dev-q-a-march-2nd-2022/503504 (btw just discovered that they transcribe all previous Q&A sessions in these posts, very handy)

Forum Community Question - Any update on the revamped ground physics handling/friction? In a past Q&A, we mentioned it had been done. Can you go into more detail and what’s coming up in the future?

Seb - last year in Sim Update 7, there have been a few improvements on ground physics. I think one was related to an assistance. When you turn on assistance of ground rudder – basically it’s the thing when there’s a crosswind and propeller effects and the plane goes all over the place, and you have a hard time using the rudder to just stay straight – that is very tough. And then when you rotate, it changes a little bit because you don’t have the wheels that hold you a little bit in place anymore, and you have to do some rudder work again to stay more coordinated. On ground, you’re basically changing from one system, which is staying straight on the runway to staying coordinated in flight. You have to make the switch. The assistance takeoff rudder does that for you. And previously it was just switched off whenever you rotated. It made this hard transition when you take off. That’s something that has been fixed so that this assistance, instead of switching off instantly when you rotate, it gradually fades out over the first 200-300 feet once you take off. It doesn’t have this brutal thing where the rudder turns off instantly. And there’s other little tweaks and improvements on ground friction that we’ve been improving. Mostly for specific bug fixes on specific planes.

But still, there is a deeper rework we need to do. Basically, it all comes from heavy simplifications that were in the sim 10-15 years ago, which were always assuming that the ground was flat. That’s why you couldn’t have sloped runways or undulated runways. The ground friction model…basically when something’s on the ground and when the brakes are fully engaged, you don’t move at all: The plane sticks to the ground. There’s what one could call infinite friction: There’s no movement at all. This is something we added that didn’t exist at all. And it wasn’t really needed 10 years ago because there were no slopes. When you put a plane on a flat terrain without wind, it’s not going to roll anywhere. But if you put that same system on a slope, it’s going to roll away and not stay there.

There’s also wind. Historically, in the sim, there was a system so that at low speeds, any crosswind was cancelled out. The plane ignores any form of wind, when you’re below, maybe 5-10 feet/second, which is why when you’re stopped on the ground, you go full propeller power and then there’s some propeller effects, so the plane starts going left. And then, all of a sudden, the wind kicks in, and then if you have a strong crosswind, it does this sort of thing which is not realistic. In reality, if I have a plane on the ground, and there’s a strong wind, and I release all brakes, it’s going to start moving: The wind is going to push it. And that currently does not happen. There are changes like that that we want to do. We want to do the ground friction model to make it 100% realistic. Which means that we don’t have to do anything: We don’t have to cancel it out anymore. Everything is going to be realistically simulated from when you stop to when you take off. There’s no such thing as crosswind that comes in over a few knots. I think it’s going to make the rudder a little easier. You’re just fighting one crosswind. It doesn’t change over time unless there’s gusts. Also, it’s going to work better on slopes. This rework is planned for somewhere this year, whenever we have time to go into that. It’s going to be compatible because the parameters are the same. It doesn’t change anything in the way you define or create or make airplanes. It just changes the way all the constraints and forces are sold so that the plane does what it’s supposed to do. All the constraints are the friction, the ground friction, the prop wash, the wind, even the engine, which is slightly shaking the plane. All these things come together. Currently, it’s a little bit better because we worked more in a bug fix development system, where we said, “The plane is sliding on the slope? Let’s fix that.” “The plane is sliding when there’s wind? Let’s fix that” Now we’re in a situation where we need to implement a real system instead of having a block of patches. That’s basically the next step, and that will give us much more realism the precise moment when you rotate.

For example, a wheel is currently simulated as a single point. So, a wheel can resist movement or rolling or sliding when you brake. It does not resist rotation. A wheel can rotate [with a rudder or tiller] without resistance. If you’re in your car and you’re parked, and you turn the steering wheel, if you don’t have power steering, it’s not easy to turn the tire because it’s not a point: It’s a flat surface. It’s a patch on the ground of rubber that you’re moving. The new simulation is going to allow this. This helps with stability when you’re taking off. Currently, the plane is just a tripod of points, and as soon as the nose is up, you feel that it’s already twisting because the wheels are not simulated as patches of rubber. They do not resist rotation enough. These kinds of changes are going to make the moments of takeoff a lot more precise and realistic. Later this year.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i5-7500 | AMD Ryzen 3 5600
Memory: 8GB

@Aamir  The 5600 is part of the Ryzen 5 family (not Ryzen 3).

10 minutes ago, guenseli said:

"£9,999,999.99 GBP"

🙄 what comes next?

"SOON™"?

😉

Darn it, my credit card went through, and I'm now 10 mill in debt.   but the Fenix is amazing!

• Like 4

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

3 hours ago, roi1862 said:

Fair enough. I just wonder since when streamers became testers but ok...

Keep that elitism at the door, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

4 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Keep that elitism at the door, thanks.

Elaborate more. Don't comment some non-sense and end with "thanks".  Thanks ! 

Roi Ben

27 minutes ago, guenseli said:

"£9,999,999.99 GBP"

🙄 what comes next?

"SOON™"?

😉

Let me tell you, A brand new A320 for just £9,999,999.99 is a bargain if you ask me...

Juan Ramos

21 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i5-7500 | AMD Ryzen 3 5600
Memory: 8GB

@Aamir  The 5600 is part of the Ryzen 5 family (not Ryzen 3).

They’re aware, typo fix on the way.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

6 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

They’re aware, typo fix on the way.

While they're at it, could they fix the typo on the price too? 😉

Edited by martinboehme
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Is this thing releasing any hour now, or nah?

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 minute ago, Drumcode said:

It's possible

1 minute ago, Drumcode said:

From what I gathered not today, but perhaps tomorrow. Probably saturday. Unless anything goes wrong with the final build of course

48 minutes ago, tweekz said:

MSFS basically hosts the most complete simulation of an aircraft to date. Those simmers go where the music plays.

I wonder how you want to compete with this level of detail and pricing on other platforms that offer a smaller market.

It's difficult to compete against MSFS, IMO.  The last several weeks where the Maddog, BAe 146, Milviz 310, and PMDG 737 were released, have done a number on MSFS's competition, IMO. Now the Fenix A320 is coming.  I see more and more people that were using the competition of MSFS, switching over to MSFS now.  Seems like MSFS has reached critical mass in the last few weeks.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

12 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

It's difficult to compete against MSFS, IMO.  The last several weeks where the Maddog, BAe 146, Milviz 310, and PMDG 737 were released, have done a number on MSFS's competition, IMO. Now the Fenix A320 is coming.  I see more and more people that were using the competition of MSFS, switching over to MSFS now.  Seems like MSFS has reached critical mass in the last few weeks.

Yes. I believe that the vast majority of those who still fly on other simulators are because of the airliners, as basically all GA lovers have already migrated to MSFS on day 1. As the airliners that are available on these simulators become available on MSFS, with equal or better quality, user migration will basically be inevitable.

• Like 4

I think 'elitism' is harsh. MSfs 2020 is going mainstream big time and some people are just adapting to the new multiple platform and streaming links that are popping up all over the place.