Sign in to follow this  
Hoosier7001

[ UPDATE ] NO MORE FPS DROPS !! SU9

1 hour ago, shamrockflyer said:

Try shadow maps at 2048, I found that it doesn't affect my performance much at all and the shadows aren't as flickery as opposed to lower settings.

i will 

• Like 1

Sim Pilot since 1998,(DC-3 is the best airplane ever.

12th Gen Intel Core i9-12900KF 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 3.2 GHZ Base, 5.2 GHZ Turbo 64GB RAM NZXT Z73 CORELIQUID 360R NVIDIA GeForce RTX3080Ti SSD M.2 2TB

12 minutes ago, Hoosier7001 said:

give it a try 

I did , upon release. On a large 4K screen, it’s noticeable. It also increases scenery popping, if it didn’t, it wouldn’t be so bad. Still, too low for my tastes. 

• Upvote 1

Been very well know Terrain LOD taxes the CPU especially.  With the OP's rig 25 is way lower than it would need to be.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Hoosier7001 said:

everything on ULTRA (sharp details) except TLOD 

I run everything in ultra in 4K. 
Tlod takes load of your cpu. That’s why it doesn’t stutter afterwards. It’s pretty easy. 

So yeah. Lower settings - less stutters. Still can’t get the point. 

5 hours ago, Hoosier7001 said:

No need for high details in high altitude tbh

So anyone observing results at GA altitudes, even away from detailed cities?  My typical flight is between 4,000 and 14,000, at 180 to 200 kts, from places like Maryland to Indiana, or North Carolina to Florida.  No airliners at M76 or above, but nothing above say 15,000 (at least until the Hjet is released).

Happy for Hoosier7001.  What suits one may not suit others.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The "debate" should be a no brainer:

As customers, we should NEVER EVER be happy with lowering settings to accommodate for an abomination of an update. Plain and simple.

Yes Asobo, watch where my eyes rest, I'm talking about you, you abhorrent Sim Update 9!

Prior to this insult of an update (downdate more like), I never once considered lowering my TLOD under 400. Yes, 400! Because as much as I'm not an FPS obsessed person, I had what I considered satisfactory performances with my Ryzen 5600X and my 2070 super. Sure it would go down to 22-25 FPS on ground sometimes but that was with AIG to 100% and it was a relatively smooth 22-25 stutter wise, and then as soon as I would start climbing, FPS would quickly switch to 30 all the way to 40 at cruise, being airliner or GA. All this with MSFS to its maximum glory in every details of the settings.

Now good luck has it that I changed my 2070 super to some 3070 ti during mid-SU9. Guess what? Now I've got to turn LOD to 200 and not launch AIG if I want similar performance and often slightly less except when that stupid update is willing to stop draining the life out of my CPU like a bloody Dracula on a Friday the 13th, and the 3070 ti can at last really kicks in and make the difference it always should through and through. 

TLOD was fine at 400 prior to SU9, nothing in the graphics department has been added since relative to TLOD so it MUST be back at what it was prior to SU9. Period. 

TLOD to 25 and marvel at the FPS gain... seriously... what next do I have to do? Turns clouds to medium and fly in cotton fields?

No way 😃

Edited by alanlj44
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Hoosier7001 said:

FINALLY, NO MORE FPS DROPS !! SU9

19 hours ago, Hoosier7001 said:

TLOD set it to 25 (yes 25)

You have an i7, 64GB of RAM and a 3070ti my friend...

... the only time you should be that much satisfied and be that much enthusiastic with the number 25 is after the well deserved 25th slap in the face you strike on those responsible for that despicable "update" to wake them up, get them back on the ground and speed them up a little so we don't have to wait 2 months for SU10 instead of having a big uber priority performance hotfix ASAP. 

Edited by alanlj44

How can I thank you, @Hoosier7001???

Been wasting countless hours to figure out why my sim had this significant FPS drop and you have provided the ultimate solution!

I've upgraded my hardware on the same day the latest sim update was released.

From an i7-3820 and a GTX 780 Ti to an i5-12400F and a RTX 3060 Ti and I was a bit upset that 1050€ of new hardware can't run MSFS on Ultra and constant 30 FPS.

Long story short: MSFS can do it.

Same as on Hoosiers side: everything is on ultra and FPS locked to 30 with TLOD set to 100 (200 was worse but flyable with around 20 FPS, 400 was unflyable with a 10 FPS stutterfest).

And OLOD set to150 (dont know if this has a noticeable impact on FPS)...

LGZP71r.jpeg

However visuals remain great:

EAMSriy.jpeg

isPEhVh.png

Absolutely perfect!

GPU Temp at 50-60°C, CPU at 35-45°C!

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2022 at 11:52 AM, Hoosier7001 said:

No need for high details in high altitude tbh

Terrain Level of Detail of 25 ?? ROFLMAO!

What is going on with the forums today ?

If you want to sim with it being 25 go right ahead.. After all no one is stopping you and no one is holding a weapon to my head either. But Yeah .. 

........ Nah ..

As a point of reference. I would rather temporarily park the sim or perform a hardware upgrade than go below TLD of 200 .. (Its presently set to 300)  that's how sensitive i am to blurry visuals out in the distance ... and i only fly high altitude.

So your "solution" is a hard no for me. But that's ok .. 90 percent of the time i'm up at locked 50fps or just under. The very small number of times i may be under 30 is manageable as long as the frame pacing is smooth and consistent (No frame time spikes)  Which it is on my system at least.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

18 hours ago, Konterhalbe said:

How can I thank you, @Hoosier7001???

Been wasting countless hours to figure out why my sim had this significant FPS drop and you have provided the ultimate solution!

I've upgraded my hardware on the same day the latest sim update was released.

From an i7-3820 and a GTX 780 Ti to an i5-12400F and a RTX 3060 Ti and I was a bit upset that 1050€ of new hardware can't run MSFS on Ultra and constant 30 FPS.

Long story short: MSFS can do it.

Same as on Hoosiers side: everything is on ultra and FPS locked to 30 with TLOD set to 100 (200 was worse but flyable with around 20 FPS, 400 was unflyable with a 10 FPS stutterfest).

And OLOD set to150 (dont know if this has a noticeable impact on FPS)...

LGZP71r.jpeg

However visuals remain great:

EAMSriy.jpeg

isPEhVh.png

Absolutely perfect!

GPU Temp at 50-60°C, CPU at 35-45°C!

I hope everything goes well with you 🌹

• Like 1

12th Gen Intel Core i9-12900KF 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 3.2 GHZ Base, 5.2 GHZ Turbo 64GB RAM NZXT Z73 CORELIQUID 360R NVIDIA GeForce RTX3080Ti SSD M.2 2TB

UPDATE 

I upgraded my CPU from i7-11700kf to i9-12900kf 

i will gradually increase the TLOD with all settings to ultra and see what will happen 

I've just submitted a detailed bug report to Zendesk. Recorded three flights - a circuit out of KORD via Downtown Chicago, KJFK around Manhattan, over KLGA and back in to KEWR, and out in the sticks from KBMG to KIND - and then replayed them at Ultra with different LODs (400/200/100) and noted the framerates and other metrics at different stages of each flight (on ground, over airport, away from airport, over built up areas etc). All settings standard ultra, just the LODs changed. Running at 4k, and with my normal set of global/regional addons enabled. "Few Clouds" as weather, but I did switch to heavier weather a couple of times and it didn't make a whole lot of difference to the stats.

I had upgraded my system (in sig - R9 3950X, 64gb, 3090Ti) from a Titan RTX, and SU9 happened during my rebuild. Prior to SU9 with the Titan I was getting mostly (but not always) my target 30fps in most places. Mostly smooth, some stuttering around the likes of KORD and KJFK, and I was expecting the 3090 to resolve all the last little imperfections in my visuals. And it got worse instead. In my tests I never got above 55 fps, and that over pretty much bare countryside in the KBMG flight. Hit single figures momentarily at KORD on the ground, and even apart from that, low teens.

Back pre SU5 I ran full ultra all the time but with LODs set at 500. In that sense this sim (which I love, in spite of this) has been going backwards for me for about a year now. There is most definitely a problem with the main thread right now, but it only seems to affect those of us with the monster GPUs, from what I can tell. Possible something to do with the way the LOD ring distances (I think that's the terminology but could be wrong) are set. Not much I can do but wait for them to fix it. No interest on my part in just sitting in a cockpit way up there in the sky, I like to hang around down below 2000ft, and sometimes not much above 500 feet.

• Like 3

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Pre-SU5 was a very long time ago and too much has changed.  If you're still after rock solid 30fps are you not able to get this now?   I see no change in total performance since SU5's major performance improvements and it's really the same now for me.  Terrain LOD heavily impacts the main thread and always has.  When you are 2K feet AGL do you see a lot of difference between T-LOD at 100, versus 200, or even 500?  I just took this screen shot near Venice and visuals are as good as ever as is performance as you can see in the OSD--the main thread is chugging along at 48% of peak, GPU nearly the same and I too have a monster GPU:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

are you not able to get this now?

Hi Noel, and nope. Not without lowering my LODs (from 400 down to 150 or less) if I want to get anything near that at big airports/cities. And LOD is important to me, I'm sitting three feet in front of a 55" HDR monitor and I really notice distance and scenery popping. Some may argue that that's not a reasonable setup, but the point is it was working fine for me before SU9. And on a lesser GPU at that.

Nice shot!

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

I wonder what went south for you.  55" screen at 3 feet doesn't help!  I'm 34" ultra wide at 30".  Here has been my strategy to fly any plane, to any airport, any time :

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/617846-what-settings-do-you-use-to-reach-the-holy-grail-of-msfs/?do=findComment&comment=4757628

• Like 1

Noel