Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Turbulence

1 hour ago, robert young said:

Well I'll bow out of this discussion now, as it is not coming across. I did not say there should be no turbulence. For the last time (!!) I said that in STILL AIR conditions with NO WIND and NO HEAT and NO CONVECTION over FLAT land with FEW trees there shouldn't be any turbulence because there is nothing to generate it. But I keep reading replies ignoring those conditions. I give up 🙂

I have said repeatedly that I am getting smooth flights on many occasions.  I perceive the problem to be too little turbulence when there should be some.  You are having the opposite problem, WHICH YOU HAVE MADE VERY CLEAR, that you are getting turbulence when there shouldn't be any.  Other people have stated (regardless of conditions) they get thrown all over the place just after take off wherever they are. Again, I don't get excessive turbulence anywhere just after take off.

There is an obvious issue, but it doesn't appear to be aircraft related.  You say it has been baked in, but I say again I actually get many completely smooth flights.  A suggestion has been made to generate a video showing this excessive turbulence.  I made a suggestion wondering if it could be steam/store version issue.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

9 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

If you want some assistance, post a video like many have suggested.  We can't respond helpfully without seeing a problem many of us don't appear to have.

I didn't ASK for assistance. I am also not the OP on this thread. I am verifying my experience, that's all. There is currently NO setting within the sim that will "fix" this for me. I tried them all down to taming my yoke sensitivities. 

But, thank you for your comment.

17 hours ago, Simmer2308 said:

That's why we need a slider to control the turbulence. The sim has many sliders to satisfy the different likes and needs of ALL sim pilots.

If you are satisfied with how YOUR experience is panning out, so be it. Good for you. Well done!

It is NOT a fun time for me and many others. 

We need a slider to add/subtract realism as the pilot sees fit, just as one can add in whatever weather conditions he/she might want to experience, I can go on and on with all the different settings inside the sim.

I really don't see a problem with that.

Exactly!...perfectly well said!...but like I said before...we need many votes in order for Asobo to even consider this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robert young said:

Yes, but in MSFS there is now turbulence on calm, cool days (morning or evening) when there is nothing that would provoke it. Thus it must be artificially baked in. So this is not a sophisticated simulation of air mass and circulation. Someone has just created it crudely and globally. It also doesn't seem to be related to time of day. 

It's wrong. At the very least a slider is needed. 

Yes!...we desperately need that slider!...pronto!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Simmer2308 said:

I didn't ASK for assistance

Copied.  Further assistance will not be offered.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

After all has been said and done...there remains one thing that totally boggles my mind...and that is the obvious fact that this problem is clearly not affecting every one...as  many have stated that they are not in any way experiencing wild turbulence problems..even to the point that some say that they wish they had turbulence because their conditions were too calm!...

I mean like...what?...arent we all using the same simulator last time I checked?...uuuh?...there is definitely something fishy going on here....the fact that some are not affected at all by this and others are...whats going on here people?...we need to get to the bottom of this.

I mean at the very least could all those that say that they are not experiencing problems please let us know what there weather settings are and there other settings in the options/controllers...etc.

I mean clearly those that are not affected have something that the others dont have (and also the other way around)

This whole thing is a puzzle with missing pieces...lets get in the think tank and try and figure this out...something is wrong somewhere...but I am pretty sure it starts at Asobo headquarters!...

Asobo...please fix this...give us a slider to control the turbulence...or even to turn it off if we wish.

I can not explore this beautiful simulator in this manner...it does not do it justice.

Edited by Captain747

1 minute ago, Captain747 said:

I mean at the very least could all those that say that they are not experiencing problems please let us know what there weather settings are

Online weather. I always connect to US east server.

39 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

I mean at the very least could all those that say that they are not experiencing problems please let us know what there weather settings are and there other settings in the options/controllers...etc.

I mean clearly those that are not affected have something that the others dont have (and also the other way around)

Live Weather - US for the last couple of weeks.  As I have stated, I noticed there was a little more turbulence after SU9 - the first flight I made following the update seemed to be a little more severe than conditions warranted - especially on the approach.  After that one flight I found the turbulence to be (for me) a little more realistic than it had before.

I have flown all default or modded aircraft since the update: both 172's, modded G36, Modded C208B, modded TBM930 and the WT CJ4.

Randall Rocke

Live weather, mostly flying around the Iberian Peninsula ( Portugal & Spain ) but on some occasions, when seeking for bad weather scenarios, I can start my flights from somewhere in the USA too...

Aircraft tested: FBW A32n and PMDG 737, and the Discus 2c glider.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, Captain747 said:

I mean like...what?...arent we all using the same simulator last time I checked?...uuuh?...there is definitely something fishy going on here....the fact that some are not affected at all by this and others are...whats going on here people?...we need to get to the bottom of this.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time when some users are experiencing some things and others something completely different. But I agree it is a bit strange that the opinions on this are so varied. 

For me I relate the increase in turbulence to previous RW flying in light aircraft. And it does seem more believable now than before SU9. 

On the other hand, I'm curious as to whether they (Asobo) introduced some baseline layer of turbulence, like @robert young mentions. And to test that would be, like Robert says, "in STILL AIR conditions with NO WIND and NO HEAT and NO CONVECTION over FLAT land". Which is what I'm about to do now 😉 Some flat airport in Antarctica perhaps, clear day no winds.

Perhaps I'll just add that, yes I have certainly noticed that turbulence has increased significantly with SU9. I just don't find it excessive - and like others have put it here, in fact it can seem more realistic. And btw I'm always flying with real weather. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I always fly with real weather, sometimes with Rex WeatherForce. My last flight was with the Milviz C310 from KBLV to KPWA.  No over the top turbulence on take-off, gentle turbulence in cruise (late afternoon flight).  The approach was stunning as far as turbulence goes.  Had a crosswind from the right. for the most part it was bumpy on final, but not excessive. Over the numbers I had a strong gust from the right which I tried to correct, but elected to go-around.  Second approach was bumpy with  a challenging but smooth touchdown.

Nothing excessive and the go-around was planned for because of the forecast, but none of the turbulence was overdone. 

I use the Steam version and I wondering if there is any correlation between Store/Steam?

4 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Perhaps I'll just add that, yes I have certainly noticed that turbulence has increased significantly with SU9. I just don't find it excessive - and like others have put it here, in fact it can seem more realistic.

Totally agree. While beta testing SU9 I noted the turbulence had increased where it felt more realistic, but nowhere near overdone.

• Like 1

For those who are getting this excessive turbulence, take a look at this excellent tutorial on the C310 in MSFS.  The take-off, cruise and landing turbulence looks fine to me. In fact, considering the terrain, cumulus clouds and sun, I would have expected more turbulence on the take-off and approach.  How does this flight compare?

Milviz C310R tutorial flight

I'm back from a quick expedition to Antarctica, and I've got some interesting findings to share. Departed from SAYB (Base Belgrano II) in the Cessna 172 with skis. I used weather preset "clear skies" and set the temperature to -20 degrees (temperature right now actually according to windy.com). At this time of the year the sun is down all day, so even though I set time for noon, it would have been pitch-black if it wasn't for the full moon. So definitely NO CONVECTION. Not really used to using capital letters (it may come across as shouting), but for the sake of it I will use Robert's own words for clarification: 

STILL AIR conditions with NO WIND and NO HEAT and NO CONVECTION over FLAT land with FEW NO trees. 

The result? There is ABSOLUTELY NO TURBULENCE AT ALL. Yes, the Cessna is completely stable in the air - not even a slight bounce. No need for air sickness bags on that flight! UNLESS you fly over some rough terrain (yes Antarctica is not completely flat) - THEN the aircraft starts to bounce around. A little. I set surface wind to 20kts and the bouncing around over terrain increased significantly. I further increased surface wind to 30kts - time to find those puke bags! For me this makes sense. Orographic turbulence due to surface roughness. IMO MSFS simulates this quite well. But I'm no meteorologist.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

20 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

like @robert young mentions. And to test that would be, like Robert says, "in STILL AIR conditions with NO WIND and NO HEAT and NO CONVECTION over FLAT land". Which is what I'm about to do now 😉 Some flat airport in Antarctica perhaps, clear day no winds.

This is not an opinion, it's a fact: a STILL air doesn't exist in nature, like the sea and the rivers, the air has waves, currents, convection etc. due to the sun, cold and hot air fronts and other meteorological and ambient conditions. It doesn't mean that we find turbulent air in any case, but simply a STILL air is purely abstract theory. Sometimes in a real flight with a GA or a ultralight plane you can experiment a so called "still air", the flight is smooth and no turbulence at all, other times you have A LOT of turbulence and you can't say the reason why this happens. Flying the most "problematic" plane in FS20, the C172 with the new flight model, I find almost the same variability like I found in a real flight with similar planes: more or less heavy turbulence from 0 to 2000ft, and a smoother air above. Flying the FS20 C172 at night usually results very smooth with occasional air gusts.

But I can understand those VR pilots flying in a turbulent air because they are normally motion sickness subjects, but in a virtual flight they are experiencing an added air sickness: the VR flight is much worse than a real flight in this case, and sometimes we can have light air sickness symptoms in front a normal flat screen, because our virtual plane is dancing nicely in the air, but we are firmly seated on our luxurious gaming chair, and our brain has some difficulty to understand the difference between a real and a virtual world. 

This is my experience in FS20 with a GA plane like the C172: if I want to fly smoother I have to fly higher, or at night, but it is not guaranteed. A "turbulence" slider or switch for a smoother experience may help, but I don't need it.

• Like 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).