Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Turbulence

4 hours ago, hansb57 said:

On one of the first landings in MSFS I made when I noticed the turbulence it was the first time ever in a sim that I (even for a second) had the feeling it was for real and had to catch it. I never had that before and a lot of people want that taken away??   Strange.

No, I don't want it taken away. I want it to be an OPTION!

Option 1: RANDOM   

Option 2. OFF

Why is that strange?

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

11 minutes ago, robert young said:

No, I don't want it taken away. I want it to be an OPTION!

Option 1: RANDOM   

Option 2. OFF

Why is that strange?

Why do you want to turn it of?  Turning it off is like those people who want study planes but compain that there is no fly by mode.

However, I would vote for a 6 month period that the sim wont start up if those folks hit pause to answer the phone.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

2 hours ago, hansb57 said:

Why do you want to turn it of?  Turning it off is like those people who want study planes but compain that there is no fly by mode.

However, I would vote for a 6 month period that the sim wont start up if those folks hit pause to answer the phone.

I didn't say I wanted it off permanently. I said I want the OPTION to switch it off to simulate those times in decades of real flying when the air was as smooth as silk.

Edited by robert young
  • Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

"random" is an option who's believe it's not realistic.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

57 minutes ago, robert young said:

I didn't say I wanted it off permanently. I said I want the OPTION to switch it off to simulate those times in decades of real flying when the air was as smooth as silk.

I don't know which sim you are flying, but right now, I am cruising at 4500 feet in the C 310  over the coast of Italy, and like many of my flights in several aircraft, I am using real weather and the flight is as smooth a silk. That is my experience in flying  real aircraft sometimes. Other times it can be flying down a road full of potholes and speed bumps. That to me is what real flying is about. Maybe I am living in a parallel universe. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just had a flat around LIBD Bari. C172. Very calm and smooth flight, little turbulence. Terrain is quite flat here. Just a bit bumpy when flying low over the city. To me it's clear that there's no "baked-in" turbulence. Like I think I demonstrated in the post about the Antarctica flight. Don't think everyone in this thread is going to agree, which is of course fine. Different preferences I guess. If Asobo wants to add an option or slider, I have no problem with that. I think it's fair to be able to choose one's own settings. It's a simulator after all.

LIBD METAR:

Wind 290° 4kt. Ceiling and visibility OK. Temperature 16°C, dew point 10°C. QNH 1026hPa.

• Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

This question goes to all fellow simmers who are deeply affected by the newly baked in turbulence...and I know for a fact that many are affected and truly disappointed with this because it has completely ruined the vfr experience even to the point of not wanting to fly at all anymore...which of course is very sad.

Again...the following question is not meant for those who are NOT experiencing what we are.

My question:

How are you coping with the situation?...have you find any "solution"...or possible workaround?...are you still flying vfr or did you give it up?...because to be honest i have a very bad gut feeling that our friends at Asobo are not going to take us seriously...they are probably reading all our complain posts and having a laugh!...but those of us who are affected by this are most certainly not in a laughing mood!...of course all the other people who are not affected by this can't understand what we are going through, which is obvious because they are simply not experiencing what we are...(which is beyond me)...hell, I would not understand it either if I was not affected by it and others are...so I don't blame them for looking at us in a strange manner and saying "what the hell are you all complaining about?...we have perfectly smooth flights".

Sad to say that at this point we are pretty much fighting  a loosing battle...our vfr experience is as good as ruined by this...and this problem will get no attention to get it fixed simply because it is at the very bottom of Asobos priority list...that if it even is on the list at all!...and the solution is very simple...it just needs enough votes for Asobo to even consider it...but sadly enough it is never going to get that much votes simply because it seems to be that even though there are many who are affected by it...the mayority of people are not affected it...and guess what...mayority wins...which means Asobo will just put it on their ignore list.

What a sad time in the world of flight simulation...its just not fair...most people are really enjoying their vfr flights and exploring the beautiful scenery of MSFS 2020...whilst those of us who are affected by this "turbulence virus"  have to sit on the sidelines with our little airplanes parked on the ground as if we were being punished somehow...and only wish that we could also enjoy...we are given the crumbs the leftovers...we are the beggars...the once left behind.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Captain747 said:

How are you coping with the situation?...have you find any "solution"...or possible workaround?...are you still flying vfr or did you give it up?...because to be honest i have a very bad gut feeling that our friends at Asobo are not going to take us seriously...they are probably reading all our complain posts and having a laugh!...but those of us who are affected by this are most certainly not in a laughing mood!...of course all the other people who are not affected by this can't understand what we are going through, which is obvious because they are simply not experiencing what we are...(which is beyond me)...hell, I would not understand it either if I was not affected by it and others are...so I don't blame them for looking at us in a strange manner and saying "what the hell are you all complaining about?...we have perfectly smooth flights".

I'll tell you what I have been doing lately Cap. I loved flying the Stock Cessna 172 from 11: am to 3 pm because the sun was pretty much overhead, which gave me a nice view of the landscape. I flew from 2000 to 3000 ft altitude, agl, and liked using the drone camera outside the plane. Not anymore since SU9. I wanted to take in as much of the gorgeous scenery as possible and finally SEE all the places that I have never been.

So, what I have been doing is fly from 6am to 8am or 7pm until dark. Less turbulence but at a price. Flying east or west is distracting because of the rising or setting sun, causing glare. Another thing is to increase your altitude and that softens it a bit as well. 

I guess the sim pilots who fly the heavies at 30-40 thousand ft are less affected by what I am experiencing. Thats just physics.

For the record, I have flown in quite a few GA aircraft from 152's to 182's, low wing pipers, moonies and have piloted a few of them.

I have experienced a bouncy ride every now and again but NOT like it is for now in the sim.

Happy Flying!

1 hour ago, Simmer2308 said:

I have experienced a bouncy ride every now and again but NOT like it is for now in the sim.

Maybe you were flying the real planes in areas less prone to turbulence than where you're flying the sim planes. At any rate, if you weren't training to be a pilot, it's likely that the pilot who let you play on the controls didn't do it on a choppy day. Pilots don't tend to like relinquishing the controls when they might need to quickly react to being bounced around. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, eslader said:

At any rate, if you weren't training to be a pilot, it's likely that the pilot who let you play on the controls didn't do it on a choppy day. Pilots don't tend to like relinquishing the controls when they might need to quickly react to being bounced around. 

Thats my point eslader. "a choppy day"...We all know of those days. What I'm saying here is EVERY day is a "choppy day" since SU9. 

It could be the stock 172 in the sim. I would further say if its the stock plane I would surely pay for a more stable version . 

Do you fly the 172 in the sim from 2-3 thousand feet at noon anywhere? My setup, computer and sim, is almost unplayable as it is right now. I can gain or lose 100 ft with the turbulence. Does that sound normal?

Hoping that someone has a solution or at least a way to quiet it down a notch. Prior to SU9, it was all good with a bump or two now and again. Quite normal. 

My situation is bad.

Thanks for the post.

1 hour ago, Simmer2308 said:

I can gain or lose 100 ft with the turbulence. Does that sound normal?

It depends on where you are flying and what the weather is doing. You keep saying it happens all the time, but if you're flying in a Himalayan thunderstorm all the time, it's a miracle you only drop 100 feet. 😉

I will also point out that because we have an inherent disconnect with turbulence (namely, we can't feel it) we can be fooled into thinking that things which are not turbulence are. For awhile back in P3d I thought I was getting incredibly unlucky with turbulence because I kept hitting moderate and higher chop everywhere. Then I figured out my flight stick was noisy in the Y axis and was jerking the plane up and down when the stick was centered.

At any rate, whatever the cause of your issues, they aren't being experienced on a wide scale which suggests the problem involves something on your end. Perhaps instead of fussing about the state of the sim, we should look at it from an investigative standpoint. What's in your community folder? What controller do you use, and have you verified its axes aren't noisy? Where exactly are you flying, under what conditions.

Tell ya what, post *exactly* where you fly, and *exactly* what your weather settings are, and I'll load up the 172 under the same conditions and see if I jerk around like you do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Simmer2308 said:

My situation is bad.

Can you produce a good video that shows these bumps fest? At this moment I didn't see any video from who want a turbulence slider on/off.

Edited by Claudius_
  • Like 4

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

4 hours ago, Simmer2308 said:

Thats my point eslader. "a choppy day"...We all know of those days. What I'm saying here is EVERY day is a "choppy day" since SU9. 

It could be the stock 172 in the sim. I would further say if its the stock plane I would surely pay for a more stable version . 

There is nothing I can find in any flight_model.cfg file or simobjects files that "switches on" turbulence for that specific aircraft, so it is likely a global decision by Asobo. The larger the aircraft, the less it will be affected by it.

As we know in the custom weather menu you can set wind from any direction and the (grossly exaggerated) gusts too. It would take no further work on Asobo's part to provide a slider for turbulence. I get that many here approve of this situation but clearly a significant number of pilots, experienced or not, do not like an imposed parameter, and it most definitely is baked in, though implemented with a fair degree of difference according to position and time of day.

To me not giving a simple OPTION is as inexplicably silly as the FSX compulsory lights on at dusk and lights off at dawn. Giving an option on these things harms no-one. You might as well make it compulsory to tie any flight to start at the real-world time the sim detects on your computer when you begin a flight. The strength of any sim partly lies in the flexibility and options it gives and to me and many others the compulsory turbulence is just another not very bright idea. It wouldn't be so bad if the lighter default and addon aircraft are way too light inertia wise (with noble exceptions).

If you like this compulsory effect then that's fine. If you don't then who are you harming to make it an option? Someone mentioned that not having it returns the sim to that old chestnut "flying on rails" which to me is a completely daft misunderstanding based on a popular myth. If you remember Asobo made this subject something they were going to overturn in their early publicity. Their solution to this was to create an entirely artificial (so they saw) anti flying-on-rails regime by making many aircraft act like foam constucted rc aircraft which bucked and bobbed at the slightest gust in an entirely implausible manner (see the early videos soon after release).

The motion of real aircraft is much more subtle than this, which is why baked in compulsory effects are transparently detectable. So in conclusion, make the darn thing an option then everyone will be served and there'll be no need for arguments on each side. Not doing so is just plain stubborn.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robert young said:

If you like this compulsory effect then that's fine. If you don't then who are you harming to make it an option? Someone mentioned that not having it returns the sim to that old chestnut "flying on rails" which to me is a completely daft misunderstanding based on a popular myth. If you remember Asobo made this subject something they were going to overturn in their early publicity. Their solution to this was to create an entirely artificial (so they saw) anti flying-on-rails regime by making many aircraft act like foam constucted rc aircraft which bucked and bobbed at the slightest gust in an entirely implausible manner (see the early videos soon after release).

I feel like the major disagreement comes from 2 different viewpoints: One thinks turbulence is a random effect applied to any aircraft in flight, the other thinks it's an integral part of msfs atmospherics modeling. Not sure how those can be reconciled.

I'm def. interested in seeing how turbulence shows up in the airmass visualization in SU10.