Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Turbulence

Maybe make a short video of this so-called "unbearable" turbulence or let it rest.

2 minutes is enough to show us what your misery consist of.

Please!!! show us what you mean or let it rest.

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

On 5/18/2022 at 4:37 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

It seems the preferences are so different in terms of turbulence that maybe they should just add a slider.

That slider would only exist to create alternate realities... The first slider to tune a sim "from real to less real".

It is also embarrassing that not a single of our "there is too much turbulence"-pilots has provided a video which shows the "issue". We would like to see, what is so disturbing to you. Words prove nothing.

The complaints about too much turbulence are also not new with SU9, in August 2020, this was posted (hoping that simmers would not request tuned down turbulence just because they were used to it for so long):

Why MSFS's turbulence is not over modeled. - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

Showing this video:

Edited by mrueedi

On 5/21/2022 at 9:25 AM, orchestra_nl said:

As you know I respect your views on almost everything sim related. However I am saying (perhaps until I'm blue in the face) that turbulence appears to be switched on with absolutely no regard to totally benign conditions.

Nobody is any doubt you see an issue, but many, like me, have the opposite problem where turbulence is much less than what would be expected. 

I am quite confused why nobody has posted a video showing this. I posted a link to a tutorial video showing how smooth the flight was, but nothing has been posted to show this ‘baked in’ turbulence.  It is very difficult to understand without actually seeing the problem.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

There was one a thread, started by a simmer that has a rather sophisticated home cockpit and uses ProSim 737 if I'm not wrong.

This was on SU8, and the author of the thread documented it with videos showing that flying at cruise levels over the Alps presented him with a worth of shaking that looked way overdone.

He was probably right in his observation, and I believe ASOBO tuned this down in SU9, an indeed I have flown over the central mountain ranges in Spain enroute to Lisbon quite a few times, using the PMDG 737 and sometimes on rather windy days, and while there was some turbulence, it looked acceptable / plausible.

At much lower altitudes / heights, simulating glider flying, I did come across some rather interesting scenarios that appear to place updrafts where I am used to find them IRL. Although there structure is still not very realistic in terms of soaring weather, it's a first sketch of their new model, using radiation and albedo to calculate rising / sinking air depending on Sun and cloud cover. 

I believe that just as with many other aspects of MFS this is WIP. Those who are willing to have to be patient and wait for their work to reach more stable states of development. At least they're working on features that have long been asked for in previous versions of MS FS....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

IMPORTANT READ THIS BEFORE VIEWING:

I MADE THE FOLLOWING CLIPS TO DEMONSTRATE THE EFFECTS OF THE NEWLY INJECTED "TURBULENCE" THAT HAS BEEN INTRODUCED SINCE SU9.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO WATCH EACH INDIVIDUAL CLIP FULLY FROM START TO FINISH THE REASON BEING THAT THERE ARE SHORT MOMENTS WHERE THE EFFECT IS MORE PRONOUNCED THEN OTHERS.

THE CLIPS WERE RECORDED WITH NVIDIA SHADOWPLAY...NO FANCY EDITING SOFTWARE WAS USED AS THIS IS PURELY TO GIVE A VISUAL DEMONSTRATION OF THE EFFECTS...SO DONT EXPECT PROFESSIONAL VIDEO EDITING.

MOSTLY DEFAULT AIRCRAFT WAS USED (CESSNA 172-GARMIN)...OTHER AIRCRAFT IS FREEWARE...BUT NOTE THAT ALL AIRCRAFT IS AFFECTED BY THIS...ALSO PAYWARE.

I HAVE APPLIED ALL RECOMMENDED SUGGESTIONS THAT WERE GIVEN IN THIS FORUM FROM WEATHER SETTINGS TO OPTION CONTROLS AND FLIGHT MODELS...ALL TO NO AVAIL...WHICH BRINGS TO THE INEVITABLE CONCLUSION THAT THIS "TURBULENCE" IS OBVIOUSLY HARD CODED IN THE SIMULATOR MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO CHANGE OR GET RID OFF.

THE WEATHER CONDITIONS FOR ALL FLIGHTS WERE SET TO CLEAR SKIES AND ALL WIND LAYERS WERE DELETED.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION IS TO VIEW THE CLIPS IN FULL SCREEN MODE.

A SPECIAL REQUEST GOES TO ALL FELLOW SIMMERS WHO CLAIM NOT TO BE AFFECTED BY THIS ISSUE TO PLEASE WATCH CAREFULLY AT THE CLIPS AND IF POSSIBLE TRY TO RECREATE SIMILAR IF NOT EXACT FLIGHT CONDITIONS AS I HAVE DONE FOR COMPARISON PURPOSES.

MANY HAVE REQUESTED FOR VIDEOS AS A MEANS TO VISUALLY SEE WHAT ALL THE COMPLAINTS ARE ABOUT...SO HERE THEY ARE...

I HOPE THAT THOSE WHO ARE AFFECTED CAN SYMPATHISE AND RECOCNIZE WHEN THEY VIEW THE CLIPS.

ONE OF THE BIGGEST MYSTERIES STILL REMAINS UNSOLVED...THE VERY STRANGE FACT THAT SEEMINGLY NOT EVERYONE IS EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM...AND YET WE ARE ALL USING THE SAME SIMULATOR (LAST TIME I CHECKED)

ONE LAST SHOUT GOES TO ASOBO IF THEY HAPPEN TO STUMBLE ON THIS FORUM POST:

PLEASE DO US A FAVOUR AND IMPLEMENT A USER ADJUSTABLE SLIDER/OPTION TO CONTROL THE TURBULENCE WITH PARAMETERS OR TO COMPLETELY TURN IT OFF...THAT WAY EVERYONE WILL BE SATISFIED...EVERYONE CAN INABLE IT OR DISABLE IT AS THEY SEEM FIT.

CESSNA 172-GARMIN 2000FT OVER SEATTLE

FREEWARE AIRCRAFT 2000FT OVER EGYPT

FREEWARE AIRCRAFT OVER EGYPT COCKPIT VIEW

CESSNA 2000FT ABOVE SEATTLE EXTERNAL VIEW

Edited by Captain747
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

IMPORTANT READ THIS BEFORE VIEWING:

I MADE THE FOLLOWING CLIPS TO DEMONSTRATE THE EFFECTS OF THE NEWLY INJECTED "TURBULENCE" THAT HAS BEEN INTRODUCED SINCE SU9.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO WATCH EACH INDIVIDUAL CLIP FULLY FROM START TO FINISH THE REASON BEING THAT THERE ARE SHORT MOMENTS WHERE THE EFFECT IS MORE PRONOUNCED THEN OTHERS.

Thanks for sharing the videos!

Would you mind pointing us to the timestamps of the short moments where the turbulence is strongest? I'm interested in the issue, but probably not enough so to watch 15 minutes of straight and level flight to look for 4 instances of strong turbulence... 

I've watched like 3 minutes so far, among the 4 videos, and I'm still to see "wild and crazy turbulence".

Btw, writing all caps is considered pretty rude (it's like shouting someone in the face), and what's more, it's a lot harder to read (at least for me), at least when I'm supposed to read a whole page of text.

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

30 minutes ago, pstrub said:

Thanks for sharing the videos!

Would you mind pointing us to the timestamps of the short moments where the turbulence is strongest? I'm interested in the issue, but probably not enough so to watch 15 minutes of straight and level flight to look for 4 instances of strong turbulence... 

I've watched like 3 minutes so far, among the 4 videos, and I'm still to see "wild and crazy turbulence".

Btw, writing all caps is considered pretty rude (it's like shouting someone in the face), and what's more, it's a lot harder to read (at least for me), at least when I'm supposed to read a whole page of text.

I am sorry but for me to go back and edit all these clips and look for specific time stamps is going to be a lot of work and somehow a waste of time to be honest...

the overall effect is pretty clear to notice in all of the clips...with a little patience one can see the obvious...I recommend watching the second clip from above (freeware aircraft over Egypt) as it is pretty clear to see the effect from the very beginning.

Also the first and last clips...from the very beginning its also noticeable...one would have to be pretty blind to not notice this!...unless of course some of you do consider this plane wobbling "normal"...well trust me its far from normal...I have watched real airplanes during flight and none behave like this...unless they are flying through a hurricane or a twister!...

btw...sorry for the caps at the intro.

And can those who are not experiencing this problem please let us know your in flight settings (e.g. weather...in game general options etc...and which simulator version you are using)...because clearly you must have something we don't...only the big mystery is what?....

I must admit to being a little confused.  I thank the poster for the videos, but I'm not seeing the crazy turbulence being complained about.  In those locations and that weather, I would expect a lot more turbulence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

This turbulence thread is 😁 entertainment now . We have waited for video evidence and having been supplied it cannot be bothered to watch it in full.

And suggested the poster stop "shouting" instead.   😊

1 minute ago, Captain747 said:

I am sorry but for me to go back and edit all these clips and look for specific time stamps is going to be a lot of work and somehow a waste of time to be honest...

Not asking you to edit the clips, just to give time stamps.

Sorry, for me it's a waste of time too to be honest. You're asking for help, but you're unable to make the effort of making your issue clear? 

The wobbling pattern may not be realistic, but the amplitude of turbulence looks minor to me, at least in the sections I watched.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

2 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

And can those who are not experiencing this problem

I really am confused now because you state you would expect planes to move like that in hurricanes.  All of those videos are not showing much turbulence at all.  Is this the level of aircraft movement that has been described as ruining vfr flying?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I must admit to being a little confused.  I thank the poster for the videos, but I'm not seeing the crazy turbulence being complained about.  In those locations and that weather, I would expect a lot more turbulence.

Well...ok then please answer me this:

How do you explain that many others are experiencing the same problem?...I mean they have all said it on this forum that they are experiencing the same problem...are they all lying then?...I don't think so...

If only all the others like me who are also complaining could also post videos so that everyone can see...only they are not posting...I am the only one posting...quite peculiar...I wonder why...

3 minutes ago, icewater5 said:

This turbulence thread is 😁 entertainment now . We have waited for video evidence and having been supplied it cannot be bothered to watch it in full.

And suggested the poster stop "shouting" instead.   😊

Well, we're supposed to watch out for a few short moments in 15 minutes of video... I don't expect the poster to edit them, but giving some examples where to look for it wouldn't be asking too much, would it?

Just now, pstrub said:

The wobbling pattern may not be realistic

This statement makes sense. I could sympathise with the view some of the movements are not quite natural, but nowhere near crazy turbulence that ruins vfr.

I was expecting to see videos of aircraft almost uncontrollable, but what has been shown is mild turbulence at best.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pstrub said:

9 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

It doesn't even need to be "wild and crazy".

1 hour ago, Captain747 said:

THE WEATHER CONDITIONS FOR ALL FLIGHTS WERE SET TO CLEAR SKIES AND ALL WIND LAYERS WERE DELETED.

As described in the post, there are no variables to create turbulence (no mechanical sources, no frontal turbulence sources, nor wind shear).
The onlv variable is "IF aeroplane above ground THEN create convective turb".

That is wrong. There are plenty of days I've been up in a real world C152 or PA-28 and have had crystal clear skies with not even the slightest bump of turbulence whatsoever.
Apart from where another poster tested turbulence "in Antarctica at night" and had no turbulence, this is clearly a baked-in effect.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter