Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Turbulence

Turbulence feels good with SU9.  I have a motion rig, so I can feel it!

Looking forward to Asobo further developing the atmospheric model for thermals, turbulence, wind shear, gusts etc.....     This is a work in progress.

Edited by sim4good
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sim4good said:

I have a motion rig, so I can feel it!

Unfortunately, no one around here will believe you with out a video............

(a pic would be great though - often thought of trying to build one, myself.)

• Like 1

Regards, Kendall

14 minutes ago, sim4good said:

Turbulence feels good with SU9.  I have a motion rig, so I can feel it!

Looking forward to Asobo further developing the atmospheric model for thermals, turbulence, wind shear, gusts etc.....     This is a work in progress.

I'm looking forward to that too...Especially when they get to the part where you can CUSTOMIZE each one. Wait a minute, isn't that what a simulator is supposed to do? Excuse me, I digress.    Thanks for posting and keeping this topic alive.

Again, I think those who are happy with what's there at the moment with statements like "well I just had a smooth as butter flight", that is not my point at all. My point is really one subject. Please Asobo give the end user an OPTION like you do on almost everything else. Thank you.

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

The next Asobo dev Q&A is today at @ 10:30am PT (1730Z): https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/community/dev-q-a-open-for-questions/352

There's a turbulance settings related question up (with lot of discussion on it already), not sure if it'll get asked: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/will-you-add-user-controls-for-turbulence-settings/517883

Related question and discussion on thermal updrafts and gliding/soaring weather: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/can-you-explain-what-factors-are-currently-taken-into-account-in-thermal-updraft-model-and-what-are-the-future-plans-for-realistic-soaring-weather/517667

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

5 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

The next Asobo dev Q&A is today at @ 10:30am PT (1730Z): https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/community/dev-q-a-open-for-questions/352

There's a turbulance settings related question up (with lot of discussion on it already), not sure if it'll get asked: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/will-you-add-user-controls-for-turbulence-settings/517883

Related question and discussion on thermal updrafts and gliding/soaring weather: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/can-you-explain-what-factors-are-currently-taken-into-account-in-thermal-updraft-model-and-what-are-the-future-plans-for-realistic-soaring-weather/517667

Thank You for that update...👍

• Like 1

Here's what Seb ended up saying today about how thermals work now, improvements coming >= SU10 around thermals and atmospheric airflow, thermals, live weather and wind gusts, etc: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1308771411?t=01h16m58s

TLDR for turbulence: in SU10, if winds are zero or very low, the thermals will be much less than SU9 so therefore also less turbulence. But no toggle/slider.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

They speak about "thermals getting stronger / more effective" with wind... Well, that simply doesn't make sense 😞

Sebastien says something like: " if winds near zero less thermals, if you want more thermals get winds to 5 knot or more "...

Well, it's actually better, under most circumstances, to have less windy days for thermaling because the winds affect thermal structure quite a lot, break them and turn them not so easy to catch... 

Maybe something they were badly informed about.

Thermals and the associated currents / turbulence can create some local wind effects though.

Other than that, I'm glad with these kind of local weather phenomena being taken into consideration. My experience so far with rising air currents ( due to some sort of convection ) is positive so far, using the Discus 2c, and I look forward for even more complex / complete soaring weather !

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

26 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Here's what Seb ended up saying today about how thermals work now, improvements coming >= SU10 around thermals and atmospheric airflow, thermals, live weather and wind gusts, etc: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1308771411?t=01h16m58s

TLDR for turbulence: in SU10, if winds are zero or very low, the thermals will be much less than SU9 so therefore also less turbulence. But no toggle/slider.

Thanks again...at least they realize it WAS an issue....nuff said!

8 minutes ago, jcomm said:

They speak about "thermals getting stronger / more effective" with wind... Well, that simply doesn't make sense 😞

Sebastien says something like: " if winds near zero less thermals, if you want more thermals get winds to 5 knot or more "...

The way I understood it, that's just for preset weather. So if you want still air, delete the wind layer which disables turbulence.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Well, it's actually better, under most circumstances, to have less windy days for thermaling because the winds affect thermal structure quite a lot, break them and turn them not so easy to catch... 

Maybe something they were badly informed about.

Thermals and the associated currents / turbulence can create some local wind effects though.

Agreed...a bunch of pilots here don't know the 1st thing about weather....Happy its being looked into...

1 minute ago, gdjak said:

The way I understood it, that's just for preset weather. So if you want still air, delete the wind layer which disables turbulence.

Hope you are right....we will see....Thanks for adding to the discussion!

28 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Maybe it's the English-not-their-first-language thing again, I think he meant to say "turbulences" when at certain times he said "thermals", i.e. he said "when you have zero winds you will get less thermals.. if you want strong thermals put at least 5 knots of winds.. we also made these turbulences weaker at high altitudes...". In that bit where he switches to "turbulences" by saying "these" is why I think this is.  In any case, that's my take 🙂

Also to be fair to everyone on this thread, I don't think Asobo's changes coming in SU10 therefore means certain folks were wrong here on this thread per se.  It's just a matter of opinion isn't it, where the SU9 turbulence is considered quite normal by some, considered as excessive by others, and even as not enough as by others lol. As long as MSFS evolves to simulating reality as close as possible, and also gives config options for those wanting to full manually control weather and atmospherics, then it's all good.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len

22 hours ago, Simmer2308 said:

Then this problem DOESNT apply to you....As time goes on, more and more pilots will complain. And, as long as this topic has legs it will remain on the 1st page so even more will see it. SU8 was good with the turbulence....SU9...Nope

Nuff  said!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

That's exactly what I was afraid of...no toggle/slider...which means that they are not interested in the least in satisfying the wishes of those of us who are annoyed by the ridiculous "turbulence" that they have added.  in other words this proofs that they could care less if it has totally ruined the vfr experience for some of us... what Asobo essentially  is communicating is..."those of you who are not satisfied with what we have implemented...too bad...then don't use the simulator"...of course not in those exact words...but that is the vibe that I am getting from them.

And also on a side note...I can't help but notice how some members (without mentioning any names) here on this topic show a total disregard to what is really bothering some of us...by the nature of their comments I sense mockery and disrespectfulness which is totally uncalled for...I mean I know for a fact that this turbulence is in ALL simulators which means that it affects every one!...the only reason that most are "claiming" that they are seemingly not affected is simply because it does not bother them in the least to see an airplane bouncing around like crazy...hell, maybe they even enjoy it!...and that is why they are all saying that for them its not a problem...well if you all are ok with it...good for you...more power to you!...but that does not give you the right to mock and disrespect those of us who really are seriously affected by it...arent we supposed to support and encourage each other?...other wise what is the point of these forums...if someone comes here with something that clearly bothers them and asking for help and support...but all one gets in return is people that laugh at your problem and make fun of it...

I must say I am disappointed...I honestly expected much better.  Most people are really supportive and helpful here...but there are some very rotten apples amongst us.

And of course after this rant of mine I expect tons of negative reactions again...let them come...who wants to be first?...

• Like 1