Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

FSgenesis questions

With the release of Active Sky for FSX, I am ready to finally purchase some visual addons for FSX. I am wondering, based on the opinion of those who have purchased it, about the need/quality of FSgenesis landclass and mesh. I am thinking of grabbing those two, along with the new active sky bundle later on today, and greatly value the opinion and screenshots that can be provided here before the purchase. Thank you very much in advance for helping me spend 100+ bucks..... :)Danon O.

Guest Hocking

I can't speak from experience about FSGenesis Landclass and Mesh, but I can tell you why I have chosen not to buy it. It appears as if FSGenesis creates very noticable platues that airports sit on top of for some reason for which there is an explanation that I won't get into here (I guess there is no way around it). I also think that inland lakes look very weird as if they are sitting in bowls with high walls around the lake. This takes so much away from the visuals of having more realistic mesh that it makes the entire package not worth it.As far as ASX/GraphicsX, I am holding off on both for now. Take a look at the thread towards the top of this forum where I asked about Flight Environment X vs. Graphics X. In short, Peter Wilding is developing an integrated package of Flight Environment X/Ground Environment X/ and an integrated built-in weather package. ASX will no longer be integrated with either Flight Environment or Ground Environment like it was in FS9. All of these products are supposed to be released at the same time, sometime in June according to Peter Wilding himself. A website about all this should be up and running in a few days I guess.Hope this helps.

thanks heaps...I wonder if the package will be under 70 bucks. The price of the bundle was the only thing slowing me down. I will hold off then, and wait and see what comes along down the road. Is Ground environment going to take care of all ground textures?? like runways, taxiways, roads, etc.... and flight enviro will take care of all things weather, including clouds, rain, etc.... ?? Do I have that right? Thanks..Danon -

I have and love the FSGenesis mesh and landclass. Just do a search here on Avsim and you will have all the testimonials and screenshots you want.Tony

Guest DK8290

I wouldn't state it as FSGenesis mesh creating plateaus on which airports sit but rather the airports' elevations are preset by the flight sim and their heights aren't as accurate as the add-on mesh. So since these airports can't be moved, the result is the plateaus caused by the difference in the MS airport elevations and the more accurate terrain mesh in the surrounding area.Any accurate terrain mesh would have the same results in places. I guess it comes down to preference whether someone wants more accurate 3d shapes and some anomolies or more smooth mountains but airports not on plateaus.I couldn't do without better 3d terrain mesh but sometimes one must ignore airports or giant lakes that look like enormous above-ground swimming pools ;-)

Guest abulaafia

most of my screenshots show the fsgenesis meshhttp://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/abulaafia/I have not re-installed it since doing a clean over with SP1, just to see the difference. Verdict is still out. I suggest you want with the mesh until you find yourself flying about a region you find wanting==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Best AI available today: www.world-of-ai.com

Justin's mesh,scenery is very good and his support is also very good.I have been using it for a long time and has has a very good reputation.Try it.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I agree. FSGenesis corrects a lot of misplacement and terrain problems. His mesh and landcast will make a noticeable difference for the better. His prices, especially if you become a Galaxy member, are very reasonable.The only complaint I have is that he is constantly updating the software, to include fixes of user reported abnormalities. I complain because I can

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest dpc

I have the FSGenesis Mesh and LC for FS9 and the LC for FSX. I can definitely recommend the LC for FSX. Made a definite improvement in the areas I fly the most.

Thanks for all the help. I will need to ask one more really horrible question...What is the difference between landclass and mesh? If I get the landclass, should I get the mesh as well? Let me guess....the landclass defines what type of land it is...water/dry and the mesh defines its shape....??thanks again all of you, I think I will go ahead and grab the landclass and mesh since it is not that much cost wise....Danon O.

The LC and mesh are both must haves in my opinion. The airport plateau issue is really annoying but the realistic look to the mountains far surpasses this nuisance. The LC is also the most significant addon you can buy for this sim. The placement of cities, towns, ground textures in my area is amazingly accurate now and I can pretty much fly by sectional throughout my area now where before I could not.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest d.lahrman

Landclass defines the properties of the scenery. For example, woodland, farmland, city, rocky. Good landclass will have more realistic variations. The mesh defines the differences in elevation. If you use FSGenesis mesh, you will see hills where there were not any in the default FSX scenery but do exist in the real world. Mountains are no longer mounds, they have more defined lines that are much closer to reality. I'm no expert on the subject of scenery but I believe that pretty much sums it up. I use FSGenesis for North America and FS Global X for the rest of the world. They are both good packages and make a world of difference. Of course, if 90% of your flying is done at FL350, the difference might not be appreciated as much as GA or bush flying.

Thanks again,Seems that since I am flying GA at lower altitudes, and would like to use my sectionals more....I might need to jump on board. I will however wait to see what ground and flight environment look like before jumping on the Hifi bundle. Thanks again for all this information.Danon O.

Guest jshyluk

I'm writing a review on USA Extreme Landscapes v2 from Abacus, which is a re-package of the FSGenesis data basically for North America only. I won't comment further on this review other than to agree with a lot of the postings above, and to speak to a select few sim pilots - you know who you are:If you have the stereoscopic nVidia drivers and a good pair of anaglyph 3D glasses (I prefer the superior lenses made by Eyecessories), then add a high-resolution terrain mesh, you have absolutely screaming hot full-on three-dimensional sim-flying goodness right out of the box! (A TrackIR won't hurt at this point, either).Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer