Guys, my good wife just bought me the HP Reverb G2 as opposed to the Oculus i have now... couple questions ...

1. Do i need to use steam VR with this? (Have MS store version not steam MSFS) or the OPENXR tools are sufficient?

2. Correct in saying that the hand controllers are not essential?

Im trolling the net for answers as well...

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

1. No Steam VR. You need Windows Mixed reality ((EDIT: sorry just saw you use Steam edition, now I'm not sure. But check out the videos nonetheless)

2. You could use a mouse or sim controllers (i.e Honeycomb. Saitek etc.) once in VR.

Check youtube's Into the Blue Simulations for guidance - great videos as he uses HP Reverb also.

Edited by tamsini
Misread the 1st part of post
  • Like 1

Mario Di Lauro

Thanks for that, I dont use the Steam edition.. the store version form MS... been looking at a  ton of videos...super informative!

Thanks for the reply!

D

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

You can definitely use WMR for the steam version of MSFS, as that's what I use. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

If you like, you can use SteamVR. I tried this a few tiimes and it works as such. While SteamVR allows more settings the disadvantage is an additional layer between the video driver and the simulator. This may lead to issues, notably when switching between VR and 2D. I settled with WMR so far.

An btw, I'd highly suggest the OpenXR toolkit with the Reverb 

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

See the thread on the Official forum for some suggested settings.

You fortunately don't need the hand controllers, mine are resting in their bag.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

6 hours ago, pmb said:

If you like, you can use SteamVR. I tried this a few tiimes and it works as such. While SteamVR allows more settings the disadvantage is an additional layer between the video driver and the simulator. This may lead to issues, notably when switching between VR and 2D. I settled with WMR so far.

An btw, I'd highly suggest the OpenXR toolkit with the Reverb 

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

See the thread on the Official forum for some suggested settings.

You fortunately don't need the hand controllers, mine are resting in their bag.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Michael for the reply...

Ill try an keep the layers as minimal as possible i think.... now that im hooked on the VR scene...i can scarily see where this will end up as to upgrades etc... fortunately i have a very understanding wife!

I am currently using the OpenXR toolkit and have play with options in there as per YouTube videos on VR... fiddled with the VR config in MSFS and now just waiting for the headset to arrive... finally removed my TrackIR 5 from its throne on the monitor... end of an era that one!

Great to know about the controllers, they will add resale value in the long run but happy i dont need to use them while flying...:)

Appreciate the reply!

Regards

Doug

Doug