Sign in to follow this  
ludekbrno

PMDG, flickering PFD?

Hello, sometimes I'm experiencing a bug with an incomplete graphic of PFD, as attached screenshot, which is flickering fast between this and normal graphic. It appears most, if sun is low on the sky. Anyone else too? spacer.png

Yes, has been acknowledged, and while it does not mnake part of today's update for the PMDG 737 for MFS, they mentioned it:

"Customers seeing flickering artifacts on the displays: We have gotten a few reports at tech support, and in threads here in the forum that some users are seeing flickering artifacts on the displays. They are often reported as "when turning" but this is a distractor, because the turning causes a redraw mechanism that fails. We can reproduce this in house in the EFIS/MAP layout, which is why that layout is disabled in the initial release. We believe this to be related to a problem in the GDI+/NANO layer and brought it to the attention of Asobo in October, but I believe it was viewed as a lower priority item as we were able to code our way around it with some ingenuity. Unforunately, when SU9 landed, the problem returned to the EFIS/MAP layout and this resulted in us disabling that option and re-floating it to Asobo for their review. It has not been reviewed as of this juncture as the individual responsible was not in the office last week. We are hoping it will get some attention this week. We will keep you posted."

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Starting to ask myself a question as to how this passed QA before release if this is so wide spread (I experience this too.) This was reported before SU9 released so I'm questioning the validity of this, but whatever. As long as they address this.

Edited by Drumcode
  • Upvote 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

When it happens, I just treat this as a screen failure and change the order of the displays using the proper knobs. 

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

If you have the push-back utility from flight sim dot to,try removing it.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

59 minutes ago, Kyuss said:

I found I only have the issue if I use the pre-configured cold and dark panel setting in the FMC.

Pre-configured as in from PMDG or do you have your own custom cold, dark and empty? I didn't try the other panel states and always start with the default C&D. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

They seem aware of it.

I only had the issue on third or fourth startup of the plane without closing the sim.  I guess close the sim every time you do something, or I may be just mistaken. 

Have it and it appears related to the preset cold and dark but not certain. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

2 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

If you have the push-back utility from flight sim dot to,try removing it.

Already confirmed that it is not pushback tool related. Its just a bug in the current release version 😉 Me having it every other flight and then:

4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

When it happens, I just treat this as a screen failure and change the order of the displays using the proper knobs. 

exactly doing this 😄

Cheers

T.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

We believe this to be related to a problem in the GDI+/NANO layer and brought it to the attention of Asobo in October, but I believe it was viewed as a lower priority item as we were able to code our way around it with some ingenuity.

I'm new to PMDG, and I'm very happy with the product, but I can't help but notice the sheer number of times in "their" comms that "they" (ok, Robert) are quick to blame Asobo for any shortcomings in their products. It might be true in this case, but it's a pattern nonetheless. I noticed in one of the tutorial videos on YouTube, when the live weather was slow to load, Robert was quick to drop in a, "Oh, Asobo... [laughing]". I'm not sure I'd treat my business partner with such disrespect knowing that because of them I'm about to make more money than I could ever have imagined on previous platforms.

Anyway, just to keep my post on topic, I also have the flickering issue on the co-pilot's PFD from time-to-time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Redge said:

I'm new to PMDG, and I'm very happy with the product, but I can't help but notice the sheer number of times in "their" comms that "they" (ok, Robert) are quick to blame Asobo for any shortcomings in their products. It might be true in this case, but it's a pattern nonetheless. I noticed in one of the tutorial videos on YouTube, when the live weather was slow to load, Robert was quick to drop in a, "Oh, Asobo... [laughing]". I'm not sure I'd treat my business partner with such disrespect knowing that because of them I'm about to make more money than I could ever have imagined on previous platforms.

Anyway, just to keep my post on topic, I also have the flickering issue on the co-pilot's PFD from time-to-time.

There are a number of small bugs that are annoying and stuff that I personally reported and am wondering what happened to their QA. I can't wait to put my hands on the A320 to see if I come across similar number of small bugs or if it'll be flawless from the gates.

Jacek G.

1 hour ago, Redge said:

I can't help but notice the sheer number of times in "their" comms that "they" (ok, Robert) are quick to blame Asobo for any shortcomings in their products. It might be true in this case, but it's a pattern nonetheless.

This has been going on forever... and it's not just PMDG and Flightsim developers that are guilty of it (but they are some of the worst perpetrators).  Basically if they don't know how to fix something, they blame it on the overlying platform:

Add-On developer > It's a bug in the sim

Sim Developer > It's a bug in Windows (Microsoft)

Microsoft > It's a hardware incompatibility

Hardware manufacturer > You need an upgrade

That way, they're off the hook until they heroically figure out how to solve the problem: "Although it was <previous blamee's> bug, because of the herculean efforts of our software engineers who spent over a million man-hours on a subsistence diet of Cheese Whiz and Diet Coke poring over zillions of bytes of code, we were able to work around this bug (which was definitely caused by <previous blamee>) despite the lack of support provided by <previous blamee> who couldn't be bothered to get out of bed and give us a call.  Undoubtedly, this unprecedented level of effort has instilled a deep level of admiration that we ask you to keep in mind when we offer our next product." 😄 

• Like 1