Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

SP1 forgot its thread(s) on the second processor.

Guest BOPrey

I had OOM errors this morning on long flights. So I decided to check the memory usage once a while. So I started the glider mission. Every 10 mins or so, I paused the game and checked the memory usage in TaskManager. Then switched back to FSX. At the 4th time, the FSX screen didn't come back up. I notices the second process was at 0% while the first one was at 100%. What it looks like is that FSX has forgotten the threads running on the second processor. Anyone seen this before?

Hm, what I DID notice, is that FS X become very sluggish as soon as I want to do something else but flying, like changing a setting in a menu, pausing the game, slewing, etc. Sometimes FS X freezes for a lot of seconds. And when I switch to the desktop (if I might want to look at the CPU usage) FS X usually doesn't come at all (indeed) after doing that two or three times. Lately I always alt-enter to windowed mode before doing anything in a menu while flying in fullscreen mode (which I usually do of course): it's gives less lockups and I can switch easier to something else that way. It still isn't perfect.I also noticed that when FS X is loading after changing a setting (so I was already flying) and the progess bar gets stuck or vvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy slowly, alt-tab to the taskmanager IMMEDIATELY brings life back into that progressbar.But I do not know if this is Vista/memory/CPU-related...(The quickest and safest way for me to change a setting (weather, cpu, plane, whatever) is to quit FS X altogether and start all over again...!)

Guest BOPrey

Thnx for sharing your experience. I thought that it was just me. However, after a long flight, it is hard to start over.

Yes, it can be quit annoying... I've had numerous times I wanted to change a TINY LITTLE setting just before the approach and entered the menu before thinking about it and BAM... FS X froze... That's VERY annoying. It still happens to me every now and than. It's hard to get used to! Mainly because this isn't the way it's supposed to be, I guess...BTW We have a similar system (E6600, 8800GTX): did you also get a new computer with Vista? I think in this case Vista is a big troublemaker, with FS X anyway. And BTW 2, I also had these problems before SP1.

Guest BOPrey

No. I am still on xp, and not going to Vista until the DX10 patch comes. I built this machine for parallel computing application development a few months ago with the side benefit of being able to run FSX.

Yeah, right, side benefit... Ha!(Just kidding! :( )

Guest BOPrey

Why not. The business pays for it eventhough it wasn't that expensive. Seriously, I am doing some graphic/image development on the 8800 (such as light bloom) that might benefit the FSX community. LoL.

I don't know if this is exactly what your problem is, but, occasionally if I reduce FSX down to the taskbar, when I try to open it again, it won't.For me, the fix is to open the task manager, go to the Applications tab, and (double?) click on the FSX process, and it will pop right back up and continue along happily.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

The second core is not always entertained, especially when paused. Don't worry about it.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>I had OOM errors this morning on long flights. So I decided>to check the memory usage once a while. So I started the>glider mission. Every 10 mins or so, I paused the game and>checked the memory usage in TaskManager. Then switched back to>FSX. At the 4th time, the FSX screen didn't come back up. I>notices the second process was at 0% while the first one was>at 100%. What it looks like is that FSX has forgotten the>threads running on the second processor. Anyone seen this>before?This sounds like the BufferPools problem before SP1! Although since, I've haven't had a problem with it. Since SP1 I've flown a number of flights 2+ hours, including a flight from RJAA to KIAD realtime, no problems! If you are using the BufferPools tweak, try to take it out to see if that helps. Pre SP1 I couldn't fly long flights, like you describe with it, but without it I could fly any distance or time. Also if you are using FSX default aircraft that could be causing it too. I've had lots of trouble with graphic corruptions when default aircraft is used, as soon as a few minutes in dense areas. No problem with FS9 type aircraft. I've reported it to Aces via tellfs and someone posted a video on youtube showing the problem!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d