Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Aircraft not banking

Ever since the new version of RealTraffic and the changes to PSXT, I do not see aircraft banking into a turn.  After departure the aircraft 'skid' sideways with the nose of the aircraft still pointing to the runway heading..  At some point the nose turns to the correct heading but the aircraft doesn't bank.

I just looked through several pages of threads but didn't see this mentioned - I assumed it was still to be ironed out so didn't ask a question here.  Is this a known issue?  I update as soon as I see the new version message - I'm using Version 31.9.4

This issue is at all airports where there was no problems before the RealTraffic update. I often plane spot at Heathrow, Los Angeles, Schiphol, Las Vegas, Denver and others.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Ever since the new version of RealTraffic and the changes to PSXT, I do not see aircraft banking into a turn.  After departure the aircraft 'skid' sideways with the nose of the aircraft still pointing to the runway heading..  At some point the nose turns to the correct heading but the aircraft doesn't bank.

I just looked through several pages of threads but didn't see this mentioned - I assumed it was still to be ironed out so didn't ask a question here.  Is this a known issue?  I update as soon as I see the new version message - I'm using Version 31.9.4

This issue is at all airports where there was no problems before the RealTraffic update. I often plane spot at Heathrow, Los Angeles, Schiphol, Las Vegas, Denver and others.

Do you mean after the RT upgrade from 8. to 9.?

EDIT: Just had a look at Schiphol, but all aircraft banked while making the turn to the runway...? I also debugged the roll info coming from RT, but all looks good... Strange. 

Edited by kiek

1 hour ago, kiek said:

Do you mean after the RT upgrade from 8. to 9.?

EDIT: Just had a look at Schiphol, but all aircraft banked while making the turn to the runway...? I also debugged the roll info coming from RT, but all looks good... Strange. 

Yes, after the update of RealTraffic to version 9.  Ever since then I don't see any traffic bank anywhere.  I haven't mentioned it until now because I assumed it was an issue from the update as I've had it since day 1 of the update.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Yes, after the update of RealTraffic to version 9.  Ever since then I don't see any traffic bank anywhere.  I haven't mentioned it until now because I assumed it was an issue from the update as I've had it since day 1 of the update.

I'm just spotting at EGLL, and all aircraft, that I saw, bank .. ?

EDIT: Could there be something wrong with your ai models? Any changes lately? Are there other users with this problem?

Edited by kiek

4 hours ago, kiek said:

I'm just spotting at EGLL, and all aircraft, that I saw, bank .. ?

EDIT: Could there be something wrong with your ai models? Any changes lately? Are there other users with this problem?

With AIG I just update every week or so. Not had any issues since I first installed 6 months ago. 

Here is a video showing the problem.  I see this with every aircraft at any airport.

That's much too vague, sorry.

You should follow the aircraft with a drone. You can do that in DevMode, Options, SimObjects, Airplanes, select one and click View.

I just did that, and the aircraft  banked nicely.... I'm not good at making videos, otherwise I would have shown you.

Edited by kiek

2 hours ago, kiek said:

That's much too vague, sorry.

You should follow the aircraft with a drone. You can do that in DevMode, Options, SimObjects, Airplanes, select one and click View.

I just did that, and the aircraft  banked nicely.... I'm not good at making videos, otherwise I would have shown you.

Ok, I'll do the video in Dev mode as you describe.

Video done from the DEV mode.  As you can see, the first turn is made with the nose pointing straight ahead with the aircraft skidding to the right.  After a while the nose turns to the new heading without banking.

I continued to follow this aircraft, and others, and they do start to bank once several thousands of feet in the air.

After second thought it looks like there is a strong wind from the left and the aircraft is crabbing away. That's why the aircraft keeps its nose in the wind. Note that below 2500 ft AGL, since RT version 9, the aircraft follows the published heading (from RT), while abive 2500  PSXT calculates the heading based on where it is going to  from lat/lon point to lat/lon point, and it calculates the bank accordingly  just like it always did before version 9.

This was introduced to show crabbing.

However  maybe there is indeed a published heading but not a published roll, and then the bank calculation maybe erroneous....I will change that. I will also look at softening the switch in heading at 2500 ft.

It took me a while to understand your problem because it was not clear to me you were referring to takeoffs and landings only, sorry for that.

EDIT: try 31.9.5

Edited by kiek

Thanks for the update.  I have tried 31.9.5 and 31.9.6.  

There is an improvement but the aircraft are only banking a very small amount.  In the attached video you will note the aircraft are not skidding to the right while the nose is on runway heading any more.  However, the turn is being made in small chunks rather than banking into the turn and turning smoothly.

There is not much wrong in your video I believe.

It also depends on how soon they start a turn. Above 1500 ft AGL they fly as before, only below 1500 ft they fly according the published heading and published bank in RT 9.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:00 AM, kiek said:

There is not much wrong in your video I believe.

It also depends on how soon they start a turn. Above 1500 ft AGL they fly as before, only below 1500 ft they fly according the published heading and published bank in RT 9.

That is a shame that this can't be improved.  Previous to the big change to the Latest version of RealTraffic I didn't have any issue with banking shortly after take off.  turns after take off are now 'staggered' with many segments as shown in the video above (turn a little, straighten up, turn a little more and straighten up), rather than one continuous turn.  At many of the airports I watch the traffic, there are sharp turns after take off which I now see with very little bank.

6 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

That is a shame that this can't be improved.  Previous to the big change to the Latest version of RealTraffic I didn't have any issue with banking shortly after take off.  turns after take off are now 'staggered' with many segments as shown in the video above (turn a little, straighten up, turn a little more and straighten up), rather than one continuous turn.  At many of the airports I watch the traffic, there are sharp turns after take off which I now see with very little bank.

Well there is always room for improvement.

However, maybe the banking in the previous version was too steep?

I have flown a lot and airliners normally fly straight after takeoff, at least until passing 2000ft agl. That's more comfortable for the passengers too 😉

The data in RT is coming from the aircraft, so they are the real life position...

I could try to smooth them a little, or use published heading and bank only when landing (for the crabbing effect)

On 5/25/2022 at 6:44 AM, kiek said:

or use published heading and bank only when landing (for the crabbing effect)

Implemented in 31.10.0