Sign in to follow this  
Guest flyingcircus

Best payware scenery?

Guest spiffy_scimitar

Hi all, I'm pretty new to FS, FSX being my first purchase. I love it. However, I'm wondering what the best way to get the most complete scenery would be? I've tried TileProxy and think it's awesome, but the inordinate load times and lack of water detail and autogen are some serious crutches. What I'd like is a level of accuracy closer to real life, better autogen placement, and good resolution tiles matching their geographic location. It looks like a lot of the freeware scenery for FSX is at a very low texture resolution with no autogen, which looks pretty bad.Where can I get the best of all worlds?

For FS9, I have several areas of MegaScenery (west coast coverage). For FSX, I only have Hawaii from MegaScenery, but am waiting for more west coast coverage. In any case, their scenery is VERY good.Jim

I think you may have to wait. FSX is still quite new and with some design decisions built into FSX (like Earth curvature) some old sceneries don't work too well and scenery designers have to absorb some new techniques in order to produce sceneries compatible with FSX.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

The best payware scenery is the UK photorealistic scenery from Horizon Simulations (3 volumes x 3 DVDs). This has massively higher resolution than FS9 products, so total realism appears at altitudes as low as 1500 ft. Since there is no autogen as yet, frame rates are not a problem. I get 60 fps with light bloom off and 40 fps with light bloom on (although admittedly unacceptable stutters with light bloom on with SP1). Horizon have promised custom autogen for their scenery, although just when that will become available is unknown. Just Flight have similar products (two volumes released) based on the same data, with a slightly different colour tint and with FSX water. I just wish someone would make similar packages for the Swiss Alps, as the UK generally lacks impressive terrain, with the possible exception of Wales and the Lake District.Finally, Orbx have scenery for Australia due for release in November, and from the screenshots this looks like raising the bar for autogen scenery.http://orbxsystems.com/media/VOZPROTeaser1.zipCheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

I think the future of scenery lies in what OrbX is doing with Voz Pro later this year. The same technique is used by FlightScenery with their Flightzone01 and 02 addons for FS9 - photoscenery with hand placed autogen. Super detail. Take a look at some of the Orrbx trailers. Autogen must be included as without it there is zero immersion down low.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest flyingcircus

If you like flying over France or the Alps the France VFR scenery is really good too. They are converting all their FS9 scenery for compatability with FSX. The Alps North and South packages make a huge diference to the Alps and you can get matching Autogen scenery and airport afcads also. Horizon VFR for the UK is excellent, but do note that for many single core users since SP1 there is a marked increase in stutter now and Horizon are investigating this in conjunction with the FSX programmers to try and fix it.