Sign in to follow this  
dokelly07

Blurries & contention

Guest jcmckeown

Hi Bic,Not sure this really applies to Vista... I'll run whatever it takes to figure out the issue but we really need ACES to give us some pointers.JC

While the config info is good, to be scientific there needs to be several additional items and steps.First, we need to kill all processes that can be killed. So that the system is as free of overhead as possible. No virus scanners, firewalls, etc. Take out your network cable if this bothers you.Second, a full reporting of config info as above. Make sure you have the latest drivers, have all the patches for OS performance, etc.Third, we need to have single monitor, single resolution. 1280x1024x32. No multi-mon, SLI, TH2G or anything else in the mix.Fourth, an agreed upon benchmark. Lets take 3 data points of the perf numbers ( and blurry/stutters ):1)sitting on the ground at SeaTac2)60 seconds after take-off facing downtown Seattle3)after executing a 180 when Mt Rainier comes into view.And lets do that with the default Baron, with no glass panel, with the gauge set that sits nicely on the bottom of the screen when using the 2D cockpit and 1 'w' key.Fifth, reinstall of FSX RTM clean. No saved flights, no config changes, etc. For all users, set affinity mask so that you are running on 1 core only. Then run with 20fps as target set, sliders all left, default configs and no add-ons and get those data points. Do you make 20fps? If not, then dont move the sliders. If so, then start to move them. Once you cant maintain 20, then go back to your last settings that maintained 20 and report that as the last step for this affinity mask. Repeat for the permutations of affinity mask if you are a multi-core user, so that you are cycling thru the different patterns of core usage ( 1, even only, odd only, all )Sixth, install SP1 on top of the clean RTM. Run with 20fps as the target set, sliders all left, default configs and no add-ons. And repeat the slider iterations and affinity mask iterations.Seventh, one at a time, install add-ons with 20fps as the target set, sliders all left, default configs, and get those data points. Iterate the sliders and affinity mask.Someone should come up with a standard table to fill this data into, so reading it is relatively free of formatting pain.There still is no guarantee this presents us with actionable data, but at least its relatively clean and uniform across all the people who report. It might be worthwhile to try older drivers too once you have gone thru the drill with the latest driver.

Guest jcmckeown

OK Phil. I'll do that and we'll see what comes out of it. I already have a clean Vista install on a separate HD with nothing other than FSX installed. I'll test with latest stable NVIDIA driver for 8800 GTS, there are not many previous stable versions for this board on Vista.

>Fifth, reinstall of FSX RTM clean. No saved flights, no configDo you mean uninstall of FSX and SP1 and then an install of just FSX RTM?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest MrBitsy

>I don't have any blurries or a I should say except far off in>the distance, but then again it was like that before the>patch. My computer is a Core2Duo E6600 at 2.7 Ghz and 3 gigs>of ram, but windows only seems to show two except in the>system, hardware, computer name tab, where it says 3.0, but>anyway and I have an nVidia 7600GT and a 250 gigabyte SATA>drive.>>Edit: Here's some shots, this is what my FS looks like, I>usually fly jets so I'm only a couple thousand feet agl.>(Billings, MT is where I am)>>Jeff>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/172936.jpgExcuse me for saying so Jeff, but the screenshot above looks incredibly blurry to me - Views like this that have kept me away from FSX.I have two Nvidia 7800GT cards and a duel core AMD processor. I had blurries big time - even textures close in looked blurry! I tried many of the tips from this forum but nothing worked. I am pleased to say my blurries are gone after doing the following.Uninstal FSXDelete FSX directories.Install FSXInstall SP1Run FSXClose down FSX*** Delete FSX.CFG ***Start FSXChange settings in gameAfter these steps I have a sim with no blurries - but I have a completly untouched FSX.CFG file also. I had already done all of the above BUT DID NOT DELETE FSX.CFG - the sim looked awful. The trick that worked for me was deleting FSX.CFG AFTER running FSX for the first time.Anothing thing I have now is smooth flying - no stutters apart from the occasional one when Activesky X is loading the weather, or when the scenery is dense around a large airport.Try the steps above if you are pulling your hair out with blurries.Ray Keattch

Guest MrBitsy

>I posted, but my post was deleted for some odd reason.>>I had zero (ZERO) blurries in the RTM, just had to turn off>most autogen to get playable FPS. It was running fine with>traffic very low. I did a CLEAN install of FSX, ran FSX one>time to build a config, installed service pack 1, ran FSX>again, moved slliders to SAME postitions prior to service pack>1. This way at the least I would get the same performance,>not worse. I was wrong. It was worse.The only step I don't see here is the deletion of FSX.CFG after the install of SP1. Run a clean FSX after SP1 install, quit FSX then DELETE FSX.CFG. Run FSX and see what you get (do not alter FSX.CGF at all initially)I hadn't used the sim since SP1 was released due to blurries on my system - the FSX.CFG deletion was what did it for me.>Stuttering I had never seen before>Blurries beyond description>Autogen Pop - to see how bad this really is, go back to RTM>for 5 minutes and watch them fade in.YES - same here!! (I have a 7800gt and AMD duel core)All fixed with the following stepsremove FSXdelete FSX directoriesInstall FSXInstall SP1Run FSX to get a CFG fileQuit FSXDELETE FSX.CFGRestart FSX but no changes to FSX.CFGChange in game settings and see what you get.Ray Keattch

Guest MrBitsy

>>So what is causing the contention? I and all others>concerned>>by the SP1 blurries would like to know so that we can fix>it.>>Any ideas?>>>>Edit: BTW the mipbias tweak has nothing to do with this>issue.>>The textures are not getting loaded, period. This is not a>>filtering or AA issue.>>I've seen many screen shots with slider settings out of this>world and expecting no blurries...>>Many should first look to there sliders in the first place>because mesh settings greater as 78 (default FS9) expecting no>blurries then your out of this world ;-) that simple...Wrong. I have no blurries with satelite scenery and mesh set to 100 (as directed by the manual).Ray Keattch.

>Wrong. I have no blurries with satelite scenery and mesh set>to 100 (as directed by the manual).>>Ray Keattch.I'm talking about mesh resolution ;-) with autogen and all the settings involved and depends on your hardware...It should be value 76 + a lot of other settings...Cheers,Andr

André

>No one on the beta ran into this, as I already stated.>>Machine config information, as already stated in this>thread,shows no correlation.>>We are listening, though, and if a pattern emerges we will>definitely take a look.So basicly you are saying "Yes there is a problem. Now you guys without any real knowledge about how the program works go and determine the cause and we'll see if we can fix it."It feels to me like FS-X is out of control and wil never get a good chance to replace FS9 due to the state it is in now.I tried the deluxe version from a friend without registring to see if SP1 would improve things (I got a refund for my original copy). It never was an issues that an unregistered FS-X only runs for 30 minutes. I tweaked it a lot but in the end I reluctantly againg gave up on FS-X. I deleted the program. (yes it was a clean install I had to switch HD's due to a hardware problem.Maybe 3rd time realy is lucky(after I buy an new Vista machine, 2nd or 3rd gen DX10 hardware is out and the DX10 patch is released). Looks like there is still a lot of work to do.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Virgin configuration, NO tweaks, no overclocking, sliders about 2/3 to the right. I was able to get somewhat reasonable frame rates by setting water to 1X but the stuttering near Boston's Logan Airport (or any other city) is brutal. I am trying to shut down all other apps to see if that helps but, again, the stuttering was not there before SP1.Brian

Edited-What we need is for someone to create a webpage that has instructions similar to Phils. Once people complete the instructions then they will record their results by checking a series of check mark boxes. There should be 3 sets/ groups of check marks boxes that people check off - "your current setting/ settings on CFG""Your hardware""the results you experienced"Then it should be easy to compare results on a graph.And isn't there a way to save a flight as a "Flight simulator video" so people can upload it and have the exact same flight?

Given how many times I have seen people forget they have a tweak or add-on or saved flight or something, I think the only way to be sure is the "take off, nuke em from orbit" approach and start with a clean install.So yes.Warning, isolation and categorization testing can be painful and boring at the same time. It takes discipline to do this.