Sign in to follow this  
wlix261

Did I really get the update? - How to validate

Hello

Silly Question - How do I know an update really made it to m y (running) sim? . i.e. something more "hard" than seeing see that there is "nothing to update" in content man ager.

Just saying .....Like Italy + Malta for example

Regards

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

38 minutes ago, wlix261 said:

How do I know an update really made it to m y (running) sim? .

By looking at the world map and seeing loads of new markers in Italy that have a yellow exclamation mark next to them.

Same / another silly question: all WUs were downloaded from the Content Manager. And i'm unable to find it in MS store. Pretty sure nobody has ever seen such a -excuse me- garbage like MS's update method. I'd be grateful for a hint to get this one.

Thanks in advance,

Fritz

2 minutes ago, Pegaso said:

Same / another silly question: all WUs were downloaded from the Content Manager. And i'm unable to find it in MS store. Pretty sure nobody has ever seen such a -excuse me- garbage like MS's update method. I'd be grateful for a hint to get this one.

Thanks in advance,

Fritz

Open up  the Store in MSFS it should be on the top row and it says something like free purchase. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks for he answers.

It seems that my "update" did not update since I don't see a bunch of POI icons in the world map and I don't see any World Update 9 in the content manager either.

Any Ideas of how to fix this?

=============================

Coorrection = I found it - I was looking in "content manager" instead of "msfs marketplace". Its downloadig now.

Edited by wlix261

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

14 minutes ago, wlix261 said:

Coorrection = I found it - I was looking in "content manager" instead of "msfs marketplace".

That was exactly what @DD_Arthurtold you where you should look in the very first answer to your question...

I mean really... It's not rocket science. This the 9th World Update and the process has ALWAYS been the same.

17 hours ago, wlix261 said:

Hello

Silly Question - How do I know an update really made it to m y (running) sim? . i.e. something more "hard" than seeing see that there is "nothing to update" in content man ager.

Just saying .....Like Italy + Malta for example

Regards

Hi.

Look in the Marketplace- You'll find Italy & Malta there 

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 CPU Tray 2.6 GHz/4.4 GHz | RAM: Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 2666 MHz 16GB | GPU: Gainward GeForce RTX 3060 Ghost | HD: Kingston NV1 NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB x2 | Skjerm: Samsung 32" Odyssey G5 Curved | OS: Windows 11 Home

9 hours ago, Farlis said:

That was exactly what @DD_Arthurtold you where you should look in the very first answer to your question...

I mean really... It's not rocket science. This the 9th World Update and the process has ALWAYS been the same.

It may not be rocket science.. but the advice given above is very loose in language.. which adds to the confusion..

Content Manager, Store, and Marketplace are three different things! 😉 

Bert

It's a problem that has plagued software developers and users alike since ancient times.

in 488 BC, during the first years of his reign over the the Achaemenid Empire, Xerxes the Great decreed that developers shall use a method marking the version information using a series of diagonal slashes placed in the lower left corner of clay writing tablets and papyrus reeds.  The practice lacked sufficient versatility and practicality under conditions involving 10 or more revision updates, simply because the user base did not care to count beyond that number of marks, causing confusion and arguments in various user forums (which at the time were actual physical "Forums" much like what we think of in the Roman empire, due to the lack of high speed broadband connectivity within the ancient Iranian empire and for that matter most of Western Asia due to supply chain issues that we are only now beginning to understand).  Speculation exists that the level of complaining and arguing in those fora dwarves any level of public commentary seen during modern times, including the sum of all comments ever entered on YouTube.

In a classic example of parallel historic development, an idea which originally germinated at roughly the same period by the Greek philosophers Philolaus and Hicetas in 500 BC and which took several centuries of development until finally being championed by Claudius Ptolemy of Alexandria, focused on tabulating version information at the center of the software media, using concentric circles that could be scribed outward (for major revisions) or inward (for minor revisions such as bug fixes and other "housekeeping" changes). This practice was ultimately referred to as revisiocentrism and while more effective than the standards attempted within the Persian empire, suffered from what are now obvious limitations of the physical space required as well as the common confusion of distinguishing outer "major" rings from inner "minor" rings, since the concept of a baseline ring would not be developed until centuries later.  For example, 20 concentric rings could be interpreted as any version from  20.0 to 10.10 to 0.20 (beta).  As can be imagined, this led to even further heights of controversy, panic, frenzied debate and name-calling exceeding the levels of the Persians, and even AvSim today.

Such an unimaginable level of inflamed discourse continued into the 15th century, providing a platform for Nicolaus Copernicus to post a 6-page snide forum response to a revisiocentrist fanboi which later became known as the "Epic Revolutions of the Heavenly Orbs Thread" and in which he argued that version information should be considered as secondary to the central content of the software and that it's physical location should reflect this relationship.  He suggested that version information should be placed on the periphery of the media in much the same way as heavenly bodies more than likely revolved around the sun.  This was of course a highly controversial suggestion at the time, which put him at grave odds with the clergy as well as users who were afraid of losing any supporting evidence to back claims that they were being sold beta software.  Luckily for him, he was taken to trial by the Inquisition and thus saved from a worse fate of being banned by moderators.

As novel and practical an idea as it was, it too failed to take root in common practice. And here we enter another long period of lethargic software development advances, interrupted only by an interesting attempt during the early stages of the Industrial Revolution to develop a mechanical "AutoVersioner Recording and Stamping Mechanism" as seen in the below diagram from a patent submitted by Ellehugh Persnade of Litchfield, Illinois in 1791.  The mechanism, which has only been successfully replicated in a non-lethal instance only once despite several attempts, used a series of rotating weights, magnets, timed chemical reactions, pressurized biomaterial moved by mechanical pumps and "novel distillation techniques" to inflate or deflate a series of bladders which in turn would raise or lower several lengths of levers mounted on a spinning fulcrum.  Once again the lack of any existing software projects on which to apply the complex versioning algorithm onto proved to a barrier to success and the device lay forgotten in a barn until it was discovered more than two centuries later by Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz of America Pickers fame, who promptly sold it for a tidy profit of $15 to Aerosoft, who in turn doubled their investment by reselling it under license to Captain Sim, who use it to track releases of cockpit-less simulated aircraft to this day.

AiyWSiw.png

And - finally! - in developments within this era, we have the efforts of Bernard Widrow and his fellow graduate students at M.I.T. led by Bill Papian, who finally  (and almost by accident) developed the numeric revision control standards that we have today.  What started out as a project to develop physical magnetic core random access memory, which was only a conceptual idea at the time, led to a side project involving number sequences used to index memory locations.  It was only when the young Mr. Widrow realized that the developed sequencing standard could be applied to other uses that the suggestion of applying it for revision control was made.  As he describes in later interviews, "It was a Wednesday night and there was this, like, massive kegger going  on back in the dorms.  We didn't want to be hangin' around that lab all night like that friggin' Papian had us doing all week long.  So I just wrote down three numbers separated by lil' dots, made up this BS story about how we'd use it to keep track of stuff, and, like, y'know, BAM we were gone, man!!".  

And that is how today, there exists a novel and elegant software versioning scheme right there in MSFS to show the major.minor[.build[.revision]] numbers orbiting the periphery of the MSFS user interface much as Copernicus envisioned centuries ago, and which countless scholars and kings before him fought and died for:

LQpJsIT.png

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 3

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

8 hours ago, Stoopy said:

It's a problem that has plagued software developers and users alike since ancient times.

in 488 BC, during the first years of his reign over the the Achaemenid Empire......

Hilarious!🤣

Thanks you for brightening my day. You truly have a gift for writing! 

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5