Sign in to follow this  
Guest abulaafia

Regarding cause of stuttering.

Guest Cavokk

Hi all.I too have problems with stuttering witch I have tried to solve via the various tips and tricks in the forum and via the hints in PT's Weblog. The only tip that actually made a difference was to delete the fsx.cfg file and to defrag the HDD.My Specs are as follows:WinXP SP2Core2Duo E6600@3,6GHz2 GB Ram320MB Geforce 8800GTS@612 MhzI have experimented a lot with different positions of the sliders and found that there is a "point" where stuttering seems to emerge / disappear. I the noticed that the stuttering mostly coincides with my HDD led flashing. I say mostly because the stuttering also happens without HDD activity. A little research via google led me to this very interesting article series on the subject:http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/op-ed/ed394.htmThis article explains much of the cause for stuttering and I will experiment with the defragmentation tips over the next couple of days. I will post my results asap.Have any of you tried this?Another strange thing I have noticed with regards to the frame rate setting is the following:(Ballon intro mission, -all sliders set to max except autogen, scenery density and trafic)FPS set to unlimmited: Super smooth framerates with stuttering almost unnoticed. FPS around 75FPS set to 75: the same as above. Super smooth.FPS set to 60: Severe stuttering !!! very unsmooth.FPS set to 40: Smoother than 60 but not as good at 75.This behaviour puzzles me a lot, - can anyone clarify why this happens? , -It somehow follows what others have noticed that some have best results with unlimited frame rates and others needs the FPS to be limited.Thank you in advanceK.

Guest abulaafia

HD defrag is highly overrated. What is your motherboard and RAM speed and type? Have you tried overclocking your machine. Stuttering is all about balance on the bus, data transfer from CPU to RAM, to video. A bottleneck anywhere will create stutters. Different FPS settings affect the timing and the amount of data passed through the bus, thus making bottlenecks more or less obvious = stuttering. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Best AI available today: www.world-of-ai.com

Guest Cavokk

HiYes defraging is probably overrated with standard Windowsdefrag but if you use the special directions with Ultimate- and OO defrag there should be huge improvement.>>What is your motherboard and RAM speed and type? 965 IHC8R2GB DDR2@800MHz 1:1 (FSB 400 MHz)>>Have you tried overclocking your machine. Yup, E6600@3,6 GHz Watercooled>>Stuttering is all about balance on the bus, data transfer from>CPU to RAM, to video. A bottleneck anywhere will create>stutters. >Different FPS settings affect the timing and the amount of>data passed through the bus, thus making bottlenecks more or>less obvious = stuttering. Yeah but it is funny that a 75 FPS setting is ultrasmooth with almost no stutter and a 60 FPS setting is superstuttering.Regards K.

Guest Cavokk

Hi- Correction:My memory is offcourse running at 400Mhz wich is DDR2-800. Timings are 4-4-4-12RegardsK.

On my older machine (AMD 64 3000+ & X1950 Pro Video card) I rarely have andy blurries but I do start getting stutters after being airborne a few minutes, even though my frame rate has improved post SP1. The thing I have noticed is that if I hit "Q" to turn off the sound, the stutters stop. They start up immediately after turning the sound back on. I have a SB Audigy 8400 sound card.Anybody else notice this?Jim

Hi K,<>That looks like it might be related to VSync on the video card (ie where the card will only flip the back buffer to the screen while in the vertical sync). Have you tried the VSync CFG tweaks that Phil listed on his blog? Also check the control panel for the video card and make sure it isn't forcing VSync options.What is the VSync rate for your monitor?

Guest Cavokk

This sounds as a reasonable cause, - I will test this during weekend.BTW. my screen refresh is set at 75 Hz @ 1600*1200Best regards.K

For me it seems to be somthing related with the cpu and autogen. When looking at the task manager the stutters occure when the secound core bounces all the way to 100% really fast. This secound core seems to be all over the place at times - resulting in the stutters while the first core is always maxed at 100. I have tryed the AffinityMask=1 in the JOBSCHEDULER section and nothing happened -still uses both cores. perhaps I am entering it wrong or somthing. I am also a little conviced I may need a graphics card - I currently only have the onboard graphics, although I didn't have stutters before SP1. AMD 3800 X2Onboard Geforce 61003GB 400mhz ram

Guest abulaafia

I am having huge difficulties with a new machine with 800 MHz RAM (not in a flight simulator context, but it involves stability). Check the manual carefully when overclocking, there aren't too many OC settings fitted for 800 MHz RAM.DO you get the same stutters with OC disabled?Also, I too get fewer stutters with higher FPS and none with 'unlimited', but then the textures engine doesn't catch up quite as efficiently and you end up with blurries. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Best AI available today: www.world-of-ai.com