Hi 

Has anyone tried the Fenix A320 in VR? I would be curious to hear your experience.

Best

Lennard

Just did my first flight in VR. It was excellent. Love how everything is available in the EFB

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Purchased yesterday but only had time to take a quick look. Head position needs some tweaking, it's too high for me. Luckily it can be tweaked in the cameras.xml but might need to be manually updated after patches.

Initial feeling is that this might be a bit heavier on the hardware than the FBW. They allow you to select if you want to use your GPU or CPU for screen rendering which gives some nice extra options for tweaking.

runs well.  default camera view is too high.  edit cameras.cfg to lower the z-height:

eyepoint = 43.92074, -1.623061, 3.5755627 

• Like 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

1 hour ago, kdfw__ said:

runs well.  default camera view is too high.  edit cameras.cfg to lower the z-height:

Thanks for this... sorry for a obvious question, but where exactly does this go in the cameras.cfg?

Do i simply paste the whole line somewhere or the last number? I cant seem to find the 'eyepoint' entry...hmmmm

Cheers

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Thank you very much for this update, good to know, it might put me over the fence to also buy MSFS (besides XP11) especially for this one!

Best wishes

Lennard

5 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

Dont worry, found it... much better thanks...just needs to be closer

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

closer means increasing the 1st number a bit.  something like 44.1 would move eyes 20mm forward.

• Like 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I basically fly in VR exclusively, and have done so since the DK2 era.

Performance, on a modern system, is acceptable. Things seem smooth - so important for VR - something I never really obtained with the FSL A320.

2D performance is 41 FPS at the gate versus 46 FPS in the PMDG NGX. I haven't benchmarked in VR yet.

In terms of usability, it's fine. I currently find the PMDG 737 to be preferable in VR, as it performs just a little faster. Even more importantly for me, it's much easier currently to implement hardware (HOTAS) and voice commands for the MCP and other functions. My goal is to fly with as little use of the mouse as possible, and I can do that with the 737. With time, I hope that I'll also be able to control the A320 in a similar way.

One of the nicest things about the A320 is the EFB, and that also applies to VR. Tablet works great in VR mode, and it definitely adds to immersion being able to look at maps, charts and the OFP whilst you're sitting in the virtual cockpit.

Overall: I would recommend the A320 for VR flight. It's not my favourite VR aircraft today, but it could well be in the near future. 

• Like 5

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Picked up both the FENIX a320 and the PMDG 737 over the weekend.  I have an 11900k/3090 64mb PC (not overclocked).  I also have a Varjo Aero and run with the latest OpenXR toolkit for foveated rendering and eye tracking to help with VR performance.

PMDG 737 works great in VR.  I can run at my normal GA settings, full AIG traffic etc and get a nice steady 30fps.

The FENIX is a bit more challenged.  WIthout traffic it is acceptable - and it IS a beautiful plane.  The EFB is great, its fun to open the cockpit door and walk into the cabin.  But if I add AIG it becomes too stuttery to enjoy.  Granted.. I have NOT tried the display GPU option yet.  VR is inherently a GPU demanding beast so I'm not sure if it will help or hurt, but will try nonetheless.

For the time being, I will be spending more time in the PMDG, which is a shame because the FENIX has the chance to be amazing in VR if its performance can be improved some.  I have confidence the team can find ways to optimize, so look forward to then.  I've been using FBW a lot up to this point, so can always jump back there (those guys are incredible too) if I want an airbus day, but in the meantime, I've been watching more 737 videos to get comfortable with its systems.

There are definitely worse things in life than to have multiple options to choose from 🙂

Anyone else not able to slide the window closed in vr? I can open it fine in vr but i have to exit vr to close it. 

21 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

The FENIX is a bit more challenged.  WIthout traffic it is acceptable - and it IS a beautiful plane.  The EFB is great, its fun to open the cockpit door and walk into the cabin.  But if I add AIG it becomes too stuttery to enjoy.  Granted.. I have NOT tried the display GPU option yet.  VR is inherently a GPU demanding beast so I'm not sure if it will help or hurt, but will try nonetheless.

I'm CPU limited rather than GPU limited in VR with the Fenix.

I fired up the integrated graphics on my CPU for the first time for this aircraft, Seems to work pretty well, and Fenix have made it easy to test on the fly. 

I've definitely been enjoying sitting back in the cabin looking out a window in VR. Incredibly immersive!

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

and Fenix have made it easy to test on the fly. 

I've definitely been enjoying sitting back in the cabin looking out a window in VR. Incredibly immersive

Looking forward to this too....!

And thanks for the tip on the integrated CPU graphic settings for the Bus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

On 5/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, OzWhitey said:

I've definitely been enjoying sitting back in the cabin looking out a window in VR. Incredibly immersive!

Absolutely. As soon as my ECAM is empty I hop on to the cabin and enjoy the views. I have two camera positions configured on each side of the plane. In front of the engines and behind them. It's awesome seeing the autopilot working the ailerons, gently banking as the plane is tackling the SID and climbing up. Poetical stuff for an aviation geek such as myself.

Edited by Kopteeni
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1