Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Fenix and performance

12 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I don't have an Integrated Card, so I think I will most likely stick with the DC6 and GA aircraft. 

I don't have either, but it runs just fine on my end. Little bit heavier than PMDG but flyable !

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

4 minutes ago, JYW said:

I have to say, I am gobsmacked by that figure for the PMDG on my modest system. Happy days!

To be fair, just due to Boeing vs Airbus differences, there's probably way less automation and calculations going on in the background for the PMDG 737 vs the Fenix A320 (even assuming both are simulating their real counterparts with 100% fidelity)

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I get the impression there's a lot more going on behind the scenes with the Fenix, I don't think PMDG simulate the hundreds of circuit breakers for instance?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

17 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I get the impression there's a lot more going on behind the scenes with the Fenix, I don't think PMDG simulate the hundreds of circuit breakers for instance?

Agreed.

The circuit breaker panel behind the left seat is non-functional in the PMDG.   To be the devil's advocate though; that does beg the question; what would most prefer; functional circuit breakers (with associated logic) in an airliner, or 10 more FPS?  😁

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Apparently disabling the passenger cabin via Fenix settings also gains you 2-3 FPS 🙂

• Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I didn't find any performance difference disabling the cabin, I guess mainly it's VRAM memory saving?

@JYW Oh I'd take the 10 fps, I don't really simulate non-normal operations that often! It's still cool though.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

It's really heavy. The 737 is quite lighter and the FBW (it's a default aircraft in the core, so...) is much lighter. It's not a complaint, just saying.

EDIT: Disabling the cabin DID improve performance.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

10 minutes ago, JYW said:

Agreed.

The circuit breaker panel behind the left seat is non-functional in the PMDG.   To be the devil's advocate though; that does beg the question; what would most prefer; functional circuit breakers (with assicated logic) in an airliner, or 10 more FPS?  😁

Give me 10fps.

• Like 4

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

@lwt1971  Thanks for the answers.  Very interesting and informative!

I will be getting the Airbus tomorrow and I will try the various settings. 
As my 3080Ti seems under-utilised on my settings (around 50% locked at 30 fps), I may even try to drop it on there instead of potentially overheating my overclocked 12900K. 
I will report back after the weekend.

PS.  I have been to Toronto a few times - it is one of my favourite places in the whole world. 
Me and my wife love it - I think we have walked about 95% of the PATH system. :laugh: Can't wait to get back again.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I have an ageing i7 4790k, 1070 and 16GB running at 1080P.  The PMDG 737 on my system runs really great, I do run PG off because I'm defo CPU limited and I have a mixture of low med high settings.  However my current setup gives me a good solid 30FPS in most scenarios, maybe dipping into mid 25s coming into heavy scenery like JFK for example.  

On the fence about buying the Fenix if the frames are going to be in the teens....

Edited by sidfadc
  • Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

Yep you're a marginal case I think @sidfadc. You can get away with the 1070 and 16GB RAM because I'm using a 980 and even with Fenix my RAM usage only peaked at 16 GB for the entire system. However, it might be a bit of an ask of a 4790k; is that a quad core, what sort of overclock are you running?

Might be best waiting to see how other 4790K owners get on with it. I don't think the Fenix would have run well on my 2500k.

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

2 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Yep you're a marginal case I think @sidfadc. You can get away with the 1070 and 16GB RAM because I'm using a 980 and even with Fenix my RAM usage only peaked at 16 GB for the entire system. However, it might be a bit of an ask of a 4790k; is that a quad core, what sort of overclock are you running?

Might be best waiting to see how other 4790K owners get on with it. I don't think the Fenix would have run well on my 2500k.

yea quad core, I don't overclock but it has a turbo speed for 4.4Ghz, up from 4.0Ghz.  Be interested to hear from others running the i7 4790k/1070 combo before I take the plunge....

Thomas Derbyshire

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Thats a huge increase, thank you, will try that, not that am having problems but, I like to have headroom. 7-10 FPS boost is huge.

Do they look a lot diffrent on "balanced"?

They are not quite as crisp, but "good enough" for my aging eyes (44 years old, and use lenses (-5.0 on both eyes)). 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

WIth no overclock I don't think it'll run well on an i7 4760K. I struggled with my i5 2500k with lesser stuff and that was a quad core overclocked to 4.5 GHz.

Only one way to be sure though, wait for others or take the plunge yourself.

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

Streamers showed the cabin on and off and once the none cabin was re built and from off to on, once the FPS sorted themselfs out it was 1-2 FPS hit for the cabin.

It seems much bigger gains are from diplays set to quality/balanced/performance. Also Ive pointed out in two diffrent topic Fenix said there Fenix Display was geared to work out what cores to use, I found it was not the case and was using my main MSFS core, thats really bad. So took all 4 running fenix apps of my core 19 and = 👍 but the display one is the one everyone should make sure its not running on the same core as MSFS loves to run on. I am over clocked so my MSFS like core 19 for some reason the app  was only working on cores 10-19, now there only working on 0-9 becasue I make it so.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip