Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Fenix and performance

According to the specs (had to look it up), my i9-10900k has an onboard gpu. However, I think I have it disabled in my bios. My RTX2080TI is humming along at 70% load, and my cpu about the same. Are there any benefits using the i9 onboard GPU over my RTX or cpu?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

6 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

In short: It's fine.

On my ancient PC (8700K, 1080TI) with Render Display on Intel Graphics 630 and Display Quality to Performance I made just a quick comparison. Nothing scientific, just for a first assessment. To avoid discussions about what framerate is acceptable I give just percentages with the FBW being 100.

FBW A320: 100%

FNX A320: 115%

AS CRJ: 120%

Default C172: 130%

And let me add that - other than the FBW - the Fenix is perfectly smooth, no stutters.

Ancient?

I7 6700k is more ancient😁

Can run nicely well, but the caveat is tweaking for performance.

Trying to iron out the ctd's occasionally still...

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

I continue to have the issue with the displays being extremely laggy.  It's really quite awful seeing the PFD altitude readout change every couple seconds on climb/descent.  I have an aging system but I can run FBW and PMDG just fine.  The issue for me is that I am getting a nice smooth 30-35 FPS in general, it is just the displays (PFD/ND) that look like they are running at 1-2 fps...or less!  I have tried  both rendering options CPU/GPU (no integrated card) and the other Performance/Balanced/Quality setting on the Fenix config and nothing seems to solve it....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

3 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I continue to have the issue with the displays being extremely laggy.  It's really quite awful seeing the PFD altitude readout change every couple seconds on climb/descent.  I have an aging system but I can run FBW and PMDG just fine.  The issue for me is that I am getting a nice smooth 30-35 FPS in general, it is just the displays (PFD/ND) that look like they are running at 1-2 fps...or less!  I have tried  both rendering options CPU/GPU (no integrated card) and the other Performance/Balanced/Quality setting on the Fenix config and nothing seems to solve it....

I had that too, when having the displays set to CPU rendering.  For me, the "performance" setting using GPU was smoother and faster that the "quality" setting using CPU.

I'm surprised changing to GPU never fixed it for you, as we have the same GPU and similar CPUs.  Bummer!   Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 minute ago, JYW said:

I had that too, when having the displays set to CPU rendering.  Have you tried launching the Fenix app and setting the displays to be rendered by your GPU?    For me, the "performance" setting using GPU was smoother and faster that the "quality" setting using CPU.

I did change it to GPU on the fly while in-sim last night but still had terrible lag on the displays.  I will try GPU again along with Performance and see if that is better....I don't think I tried that combo.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

Hello fellow Torontonian :), I'm actually getting this a bit later as I'm away from home currently.  From all what I've seen of this bird on many previews/reviews with those that have varying hardware, there doesn't appear to be any performance red flags at all... in many cases it's >= FBW performance, and perhaps a bit less than the PMDG 737. So depending on how you're doing with the FBW you can make your decisions re: purchasing this for your current system.  It's only going to get better with more performance optimization fixes and feature enhancements, but it's already looking like the most advanced immersive aircraft for any sim... so given all that I'd say you should go ahead and pull the trigger.

Cool,

The FBW performs really well on my system. Solid 30FPS everywhere locked in NVCP. I wonder if I have any money left in my UK account 😀

Richard

• Like 3

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Anyone running the Fenix with an i7-7700K and GTX 1080 on HD? The PMDG 737 runs OK on my system, but only at medium graphics settings or thereabouts.

I may need to wait this out for a while until I can convince my wife that a $2500 computer plus 2K monitor make sense. Yeah, that will take a while....

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

3 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

Anyone running the Fenix with an i7-7700K and GTX 1080 on HD? The PMDG 737 runs OK on my system, but only at medium graphics settings or thereabouts.

I may need to wait this out for a while until I can convince my wife that a $2500 computer plus 2K monitor make sense. Yeah, that will take a while....

I know that struggle lol

Have you considered a 4K TV instead of a 2K Monitor? I picked up a TCL 43 inch Roku TV used in perfect condition for $150 CDN last fall. I find that size is the sweet spot, I did briefly try my 55 inch 1080P Panasonic I have in my basement for size but it was was just too big being sat that close. I gotta say the sim looks fabulous in 4K though 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

40 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

According to the specs (had to look it up), my i9-10900k has an onboard gpu. However, I think I have it disabled in my bios. My RTX2080TI is humming along at 70% load, and my cpu about the same. Are there any benefits using the i9 onboard GPU over my RTX or cpu?

Quoting average CPU load is useless 🙄 what matters is usage per core

• Like 2

Did anyone else realise there was no way to increase simulation rates before buying?? I guess it's not a long-haul bird so it's not an absolute deal breaker but it is a little annoying. 

7 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

In short: It's fine.

On my ancient PC (8700K, 1080TI) with Render Display on Intel Graphics 630 and Display Quality to Performance I made just a quick comparison. Nothing scientific, just for a first assessment. To avoid discussions about what framerate is acceptable I give just percentages with the FBW being 100.

FBW A320: 100%

FNX A320: 115%

AS CRJ: 120%

Default C172: 130%

And let me add that - other than the FBW - the Fenix is perfectly smooth, no stutters.

Did you have to do anything special to get the iGPU working with your 8700? When I enable it, install the drivers, set it in the Fenix CP, PC just BSODs with an Intel driver problem when loading up the plane. Might just be a local hardware issue, driver conflict or perhaps I need to do something special for that setup to work properly with my 1080 Ti. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 minute ago, dolbinau said:

Did anyone else realise there was no way to increase simulation rates before buying?? I guess it's not a long-haul bird so it's not an absolute deal breaker but it is a little annoying. 

I also did not realize this. I did see some mention that at least 2x was supposed to be possible - maybe through the MCDU or EFB? Haven't been able to find that option though.

The time I can devote to simming is limited, so this really makes anything over a one hour sector not very feasible for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

@lwt1971  Thanks for the answers.  Very interesting and informative!

I will be getting the Airbus tomorrow and I will try the various settings. 
As my 3080Ti seems under-utilised on my settings (around 50% locked at 30 fps), I may even try to drop it on there instead of potentially overheating my overclocked 12900K. 
I will report back after the weekend.

PS.  I have been to Toronto a few times - it is one of my favourite places in the whole world. 
Me and my wife love it - I think we have walked about 95% of the PATH system. :laugh: Can't wait to get back again.

+ 1....I love Toronto! Greatest hockey city in the world! Not a bad place to watch a baseball game either! And let's be fair, Molson Canadian is one of the smoothest beers around! The "99" at the end of my username is Wayne Gretzky's number (Brantford, ON native), who has been my ultimate sports hero since I was a kid and still is today.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

10 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

+ 1....I love Toronto! Greatest hockey city in the world! Not a bad place to watch a baseball game either! And let's be fair, Molson Canadian is one of the smoothest beers around! The "99" at the end of my username is Wayne Gretzky's number (Brantford, ON native), who has been my ultimate sports hero since I was a kid and still is today.

Cheers, Pete

For Beers, my pick is Montreal.. La Fin du Monde. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/34/

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have a Ryzen 9 3900 (not the x variant!) and a 2080s. Will I be able to run the plane smoothly or will my old CPU be a bottleneck? My 3900 is only slightly over the minimum requirements and no integrated GPU.

The FBW a320 and the 737 all run fine, though already a bit heavy on the frame rate on the ground.

Edited by petz_e