Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Fenix and performance

16 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

With a flagship CPU I’d go for a custom loop. Like EK-Quantum Velocity² in combination with a PE360 radiator. 

Yikes that looks too difficult for me 👴🏻 

13 minutes ago, tweekz said:

The recent updates seemed to have helped me out. As I mentioned, I'm running it on a RX480 and have about 30fps most of the flight. 20fps on large addon airports.

I also get what I thought was pretty good performance - I didn’t know I was unhappy until I saw that for much less money someone else is getting massively better results with the new 3800x3d 😵💫

If I can recall, I think I had better performance in SU8. I was able to run Terrain LOD at 400 and had better fps. But in SU9 I had to back the Terrain LOD down to 200 and I'm getting around 25-30 fps on the ground at payware airports with the Fenix A320. In the air it'll get to around 33-45fps depending on location. It's weird. The fps is all over the place.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

48 minutes ago, tweekz said:

20fps on large addon airports.

This is not good, not by anyones standards (surely?!). Lower your settings.

16 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Lower your settings

Or do it like me, I awarded me today with an MSI 3060 OC 12GB and like what I see. Coming from the 1660s 6GB it is for sure an increase of GPU power, while I had to fly still this morning with primarily high settings and fps locked at 30 and the 1660 running primarily at 100% per CPUID HWMonitor, I crancked most settings to ultra now, increased fps ingame fps limit to 60, set Fenix display settings back to quality and now my GPU is running - same flight EDDH-EGKK - almost idle at around 65-70%, knowing that the challenging bit will be the EGKK landing with the wonderful flightsim.to freeware. Those 4k'ers note that I am still running on my screen's max resolution per sig below. not too fancy but yet a big step ahead for me. the 3060 came at a reasonable price tag, 3050 was to close to my old 1660. and anything like 3060 TI or let alone 3070 and above I am still not willing to pay

• Like 4

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

11 minutes ago, DAD said:

Or do it like me, I awarded me today with an MSI 3060 OC 12GB and like what I see. Coming from the 1660s 6GB it is for sure an increase of GPU power, while I had to fly still this morning with primarily high settings and fps locked at 30 and the 1660 running primarily at 100% per CPUID HWMonitor, I crancked most settings to ultra now, increased fps ingame fps limit to 60, set Fenix display settings back to quality and now my GPU is running - same flight EDDH-EGKK - almost idle at around 65-70%, knowing that the challenging bit will be the EGKK landing with the wonderful flightsim.to freeware. Those 4k'ers note that I am still running on my screen's max resolution per sig below. not too fancy but yet a big step ahead for me. the 3060 came at a reasonable price tag, 3050 was to close to my old 1660. and anything like 3060 TI or let alone 3070 and above I am still not willing to pay

That is the card I got in my PC, the 3060 with 12 GB Vram.  Get a solid 30 FPS all the time with the Fenix.. Couldn't be happier. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Couldn't be happier. 

I understand that, nice bang for the bucks. still playing around with the settings, especially shifting Fenix app load from CPU to GPU and back. Now I am more CPU limited based on MSFS :-), was completely the opposite before

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

That is the card I got in my PC, the 3060 with 12 GB Vram.  Get a solid 30 FPS all the time with the Fenix.. Couldn't be happier. 

My PC came with an AMD card. After about 150 CTDs and driver timeouts, I sent it back to the manufacturer about a year ago, and they agreed to replace the AMD with the 3060, for about $180 including a more powerful PSU . Best money I have ever spent. Not one CTD since. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

My PC came with an AMD card. After about 150 CTDs and driver timeouts, I sent it back to the manufacturer about a year ago, and they agreed to replace the AMD with the 3060, for about $180 including a more powerful PSU . Best money I have ever spent. Not one CTD since. 

I remember your endless odysey back then, Bob

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have a 6900XT, no CTD's. Maybe your AMD card was setup wrong or whatever. Pre builds are never.........But buying a NVidia or AMD high end card in a properly setup PC,  you can't go wrong if you know what to do.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

6 minutes ago, pilotter said:

I have a 6900XT, no CTD's. Maybe your AMD card was setup wrong or whatever. Pre builds are never.........But buying a NVidia or AMD high end card in a properly setup PC,  you can't go wrong if you know what to do.

Before swapping out  that word not allowed AMD, they replaced it twice with a brand new card.  They also changed drivers, chip set drivers, etc. etc. Finally the tech working on it said " I bet a Nvidia Card will fix your problem. He was right, it did. I also read numerous complaints about AMD drivers that are posted all over the internet. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DAD said:

I remember your endless odysey back then, Bob

Yes, I almost gave up flight simming during that ordeal, and going back to Train Simming...😉

I'm seeing about 16 GB of RAM and and 10 GB of VRAM usage at 4k on Ultra settings.  I have headroom in both departments and so my performance has been fine. 

I saw a Fenix dev mention on Discord that the next update should improve VRAM usage as it appears not an insignificant numbers of users reporting performance issues are blowing their VRAM budgets and not adjusting graphics settings accordingly.  It looks like they are going to have an option to lower the texture resolution of the addon (my interpretation of chat in a chat room...no idea if correct).  If I was having these problems I would personally prefer to lower the scenery settings since the addon is stuck in my face most of the flight.

I get about 35 FPS at FlyTampa KBOS for example and then 50+ once over 5,000' AGL depending on cloud over.  This is more of an indicator of performance issues with the scenery than with the Fenix.

• Like 2

Ryan

Would this airplane demand more GPU or CPU power? Reason I'm asking is because I'm having an old 1070 running at 3440x1440. Little bit concerned about that one. Regarding CPU and RAM, I'm good. 5900X 32GB RAM.

Quite happy with the performance in the sim when flying the standard airplanes.

it demands more on CPU

• Like 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.