Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Fenix and performance

i noticed the last update definitely improved performance overall, but it's still a far cry from the PMDG 737 or Aerosoft CRJ, which was making me less likely to choose it for a flight. however i found one "trick" (ok, it's not really a trick, but a straightforward solution) that helped scrape a bit of performance out of the sim w/ the A320 was lowering the render scale from 100% (default) to 80%. even though i have a 3080 Ti, i do run 4k and MSFS + Fenix A320 + 4k is a lot to ask for any GPU. lowering the render scale is an instant 20% reduction of the pixels the GPU needs to render, and i noticed an immediate bump in A320 performance. still not on the level of the 737 but it's close enough to entice me to fly it more.

obviously this comes with the caveat of a slightly blurrier picture, but i found that at 4k res and 80% render scale, the image looks *almost* indistinguishable from normal 100% scale. 75 or less though does start to impact the image quality to the point where it's not acceptable to me.

just a little tip someone might try if they're in a simulation situation. note that i run the A320 displays on my GPU; if you have them set to CPU (as per default settings) then this would make zero difference.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Make sure that you didn't choose your community folder as the installation location for the Fenix.

I did and it seems to have been causing issues. I have a "E:\MSFS\MSFS Addons and SW\MyCommunity\" folder where I install all of my addons. I then use Addon Linker to of course, link them to the real community folder. When I deselected the Fenix to fly the 737, it had the same effect as moving the actual Fenix app location. I know that most SW doesn't like to be moved, particularly those with any kind of DRM.

The problem manifestied itself primarily as a landing issue. I kept having issues controlling the plane on rollout. I use a stick with a Z axis for rudder/tiller. To make this work, the "Ped Disc Tiller" option under controls in the EFB needs to be turned on. Each time, after sliding off the runway, I would look and the option was turned on. Out of frustration, I turned it off, saved the settings, and then turned it back on. Problem solved. Landings were fine from them on... Until... I flew the 737 a couple of times, and then went back to the A320. On rollout, uncontrollable again. Checked the option for the pedal disc, and it was OFF. Grrr... 

After thinking about it, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the Fenix so that it would go into the folder I really wanted it to "E:\MSFS\FenixSim A320\". After doing that, the Fenix app is no longer affected by what he linker does as it never moves. The installer did put the 2 relevant folders in the Community folder, but I used the linker to move them back to "MyCommunity".

I do believe that there has been an increase in overall performance as well as the options I selected now "stick" when I switch to a different airplane and back.

You may want to verify that the addon linker is NOT moving the folder where the Fenix application lives and move it if it is...

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

4 hours ago, VHOJT said:

So to be a right pain in the bum (there is 48 pages of thread to sift through after all):

I have a 4K monitor, 6700k @ 4.5Ghz, 16GB ram and a 1080 graphics card.

With sensible settings, will I be able to maintain 30fps with the Fenix or will I be disappointed?

Planning on upgrading possibly later in the year, but the old beast is still doing alright for me with Prear3D v5 and FSLabs at the moment.

See my post above - I would say yes although I run 1080P

Edited by sidfadc

Thomas Derbyshire

5 hours ago, VHOJT said:

I have a 4K monitor, 6700k @ 4.5Ghz, 16GB ram and a 1080 graphics card.

With sensible settings, will I be able to maintain 30fps with the Fenix or will I be disappointed?

If I would venture to guess I'd say yes, almost certainly. You might have to tweak the graphics settings a little, but most likely you'll be fine. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Perhaps not what we mean by 'performance' but does anyone have any tips for landing the Fenix A320 at EGLC/London City? I'm guessing because it's not an A318 with the 'steep approach'/spoilers button it's quite hard to follow the glide slope at a stable speed...

10 minutes ago, dolbinau said:

Perhaps not what we mean by 'performance' but does anyone have any tips for landing the Fenix A320 at EGLC/London City? I'm guessing because it's not an A318 with the 'steep approach'/spoilers button it's quite hard to follow the glide slope at a stable speed...

The simple answer is dont. Only as you say the 318 can land there.

If you really want to. Try,Gear down, flaps 4, Vapp speed before GS.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

17 hours ago, molleh said:

i noticed the last update definitely improved performance overall, but it's still a far cry from the PMDG 737 or Aerosoft CRJ, which was making me less likely to choose it for a flight. however i found one "trick" (ok, it's not really a trick, but a straightforward solution) that helped scrape a bit of performance out of the sim w/ the A320 was lowering the render scale from 100% (default) to 80%. even though i have a 3080 Ti, i do run 4k and MSFS + Fenix A320 + 4k is a lot to ask for any GPU. lowering the render scale is an instant 20% reduction of the pixels the GPU needs to render, and i noticed an immediate bump in A320 performance. still not on the level of the 737 but it's close enough to entice me to fly it more.

I tried exactly this yesterday.   And I know exactly what you mean about the current performance making you less likely to choose it.   I am in exactly the same position.  I love the Fenix; it's amazing - we all know that.  But when I want to fly ATPL I rarely choose it over the PMDG737 because I know that although the fidelity is higher, the low FPS and stutters that I get will detract from (and often take away) the enjoyment.

I fly at 1440p and have always kept the render scale at 100 (other than some tests where I increased it or tried 1080p with a higher render scale etc).    So in a desperate bid to make the Fenix more usable for me (I know people hate that word; usable!), I tried a render scale of 70.   I noticed a disctinct increase in FPS / reduction in stutters, but with RS at 70 and resolution at 1440, the Fenix displays became really very blurry.  So alas it wasn't a 'goer' for me but worth a try. 🙂   I have to run the Fenix app on GPU (GTX1080Ti) as my CPU is my bottleneck (4790k 3.8Ghz) and my iGPU performance is the worst of all 3 options.

I'm interested in all this 'managing of the cores' stuff that people are doing, but I'm no expert in that field and it seems like a lot of tweaking to do to get the required performance.  I do use Process Lasso but haven't tweaked cores before - I really just use it for the generic Bitsum performance mode, and to set disallowed processes; so that daft things like Adobe Updater, Dropbox updater. etc. etc close as soon as I run it.

It would be fantastic if someone created an app / mod that automatically set optimum cores usage for the Fenix!  But I'm probably asking a bit much there.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

2 hours ago, dolbinau said:

No A320 is rated for the steep approach into LCY. Even the A318s that used to go in there where adapted with the 'Steep Approach mode' which wasn't standard fit even on the 318 AFAIK.

Try at your peril but you're very likely to go off the end into the drink! 😂

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Bill, @JYW

Your 4790 was my last CPU it would make a world of diffrence to you to oveclock it to 4.6, mine was 4.6 and ran for 6 years no problems. Also you can stop apps like Adobe updater running within window. Type start up and select what apps you want to auto start with windows, turn off everything you dont need.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Meh, if the A320 isn't heavy and if you're fully configured (flap 4, gear down) and at Vapp before hitting the glideslope, I rekon it's not that difficult. It's not legal and probably unsafe, but it's very possible. You'll probably want to hand fly it and have the flight director off. Might need manual braking if you come in hot.

Remember you've got no spoiler action in Flap 4, so alternatively you could try Flap 3 and spoilers (with AP off for full extension range of the spoilers if required) if you're having issues keeping speed on target, then go to flap 4 late on. This is very much not-approved, use of spoilers in low energy states is almost always a bad idea, and you won't have long to stabilise the situation when you to go flap 4.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 4

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

On 6/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

Unfortunately I haven't done any before/after testing in terms of performance/fps. 

I've set up AIG traffic controller in the same way as the Fenix apps. Other than that, I usually don't have that many apps running when simming. I use my iPad for Navigraph as well as some weather apps. Anyway it's easy with Process Lasso to get an overview of which apps use the CPU. Just sort the list based on "CPU avg". 

thanks for the great guide!

already have lasso installed so I will try and use it....

1)firstly found the cpu avg volume - but what is that actually telling me - on my view it seems to make no reference core - just giving me a a number 2.46 or 0.35 related to a running .exe?(note most of my processes have all 8 cores ticked in affinisty by default)

2)also in lasso when I click on a process its gives me 4 different options CPU priority, CPU affinity, I/O priority and app power profile each with a current or always drop down - assume the one I need to focus on is CPU affinity which assume manages the cores? (can see also disable hyper threading (assume i keep this unchecked) running an i7 with 8 cores i think....

• Like 1

Was flying EINN to KJFK (very light load) on 2X simulation rate, about 200NM out from JFK I noticed a lot of performance degradation (moving to 1X sim rate seemed to mostly fix), but then after a while CTD (I think this is the second CTD I’ve had with Fenix after about 16 flights so it’s rare). A little annoying! I still suspect there is opportunity to improve performance AND (correct me if it’s not there already) let us save flights so that we can resume should there be a CTD?

12 minutes ago, dolbinau said:

Was flying EINN to KJFK (very light load) on 2X simulation rate, about 200NM out from JFK I noticed a lot of performance degradation (moving to 1X sim rate seemed to mostly fix), but then after a while CTD (I think this is the second CTD I’ve had with Fenix after about 16 flights so it’s rare). A little annoying! I still suspect there is opportunity to improve performance AND (correct me if it’s not there already) let us save flights so that we can resume should there be a CTD?

No, you cannot save flights on the Fenix.

4 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

No A320 is rated for the steep approach into LCY. Even the A318s that used to go in there where adapted with the 'Steep Approach mode' which wasn't standard fit even on the 318 AFAIK.

Try at your peril but you're very likely to go off the end into the drink! 😂

Lol I’ve “landed” all sorts at EGLC in MSFS and its predecessors. It’s one of the first things I do with a new sim/ aircraft: LevelD 767 (remember that one?), PMDG MD-11, PMDG 737 and, yes, the PMDG 747 🙂  Plus ofc the FBW and Fenix a320.  

Best done with lots of crosswind and a wet runway ofc. 

… because, why not? 🤪

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Meh, if the A320 isn't heavy and if you're fully configured (flap 4, gear down) and at Vapp before hitting the glideslope, I rekon it's not that difficult. It's not legal and probably unsafe, but it's very possible. You'll probably want to hand fly it and have the flight director off. Might need manual braking if you come in hot.

Remember you've got no spoiler action in Flap 4, so alternatively you could try Flap 3 and spoilers (with AP off for full extension range of the spoilers if required) if you're having issues keeping speed on target, then go to flap 4 late on. This is very much not-approved, use of spoilers in low energy states is almost always a bad idea, and you won't have long to stabilise the situation when you to go flap 4.

Thanks - I'm basically trying to use the FEnix A320 for the BA JFK to London City A318 flights in the absence of an A318!! Hopefully they do an A318 one day 🙂