Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Fenix and performance

17 hours ago, Makinen11 said:

If anyone can compare the 5800x3d with the 12700k specifically with the Fenix I would be grateful. I wonder if the massive lead the 5800x3d has in MSFS is still there once the Intel cpu uses the igp for the Fenix. 

I can’t do the comparison sadly but in my case (with a 12900ks and 3090ti) the iGPU slows things down quite dramatically compared with leaving the CPU to handle rendering. If I let the 3090ti do it, it’s on a par with the CPU but sometimes a little bit stuttery in the displays, which I don’t otherwise get. So … I wouldn’t be surprised if the iGPU was a non-issue for the 5800x3d. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tfm said:

I can’t do the comparison sadly but in my case (with a 12900ks and 3090ti) the iGPU slows things down quite dramatically compared with leaving the CPU to handle rendering. If I let the 3090ti do it, it’s on a par with the CPU but sometimes a little bit stuttery in the displays, which I don’t otherwise get. So … I wouldn’t be surprised if the iGPU was a non-issue for the 5800x3d. 

I guess in your case, your system is so powerful (pretty much the fastest cpu money can buy and the fastest gpu) that the iGPU is indeed slower and offloading the Fenix on it creates more overhead for no reason. 

Edited by Makinen11

Just now, Makinen11 said:

I guess in your case, your system is so powerful (pretty much the fastest cpu money can buy and the fastest gpu) the iGPU is indeed slower. 

Guess what, I just found a post in the hardware forum giving the results from a 5800x3d under conditions I can replicate and … it’s a LOT better than what I get:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/617534-amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-review/?do=findComment&comment=4786260

1 hour ago, tfm said:

I can’t do the comparison sadly but in my case (with a 12900ks and 3090ti)

3090ti? Or did you mean 3080ti?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

29 minutes ago, captain420 said:

3090ti? Or did you mean 3080ti?

No it’s a 3090 ti 😞 

1 hour ago, tfm said:

Guess what, I just found a post in the hardware forum giving the results from a 5800x3d under conditions I can replicate and … it’s a LOT better than what I get:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/617534-amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-review/?do=findComment&comment=4786260

This is weird. Even if MSFS works better with AMD architecture, if you are indeed comparing apples to apples it does not make sense. Either you have thermal throttling with your (admittedly very hot) 12900KS or some of the settings are not quite the same. What you're saying is essentially the 5950X is faster than yours?? 

The poster in that thread is upgrading from a 5950X to the 5800X3D and is seeing anything from 2 to 10 fps improvement depending on the situation. I have never seen the 5950X top yours though apart from what you just wrote above. Something does not add up. 

Edited by Makinen11

2 minutes ago, Makinen11 said:

This is weird. Even if MSFS works better with AMD architecture, if you are indeed comparing apples to apples it does not make sense. Either you have thermal throttling with your (admittedly very hot) 12900KS or some of the settings are not quite the same. What you're saying is essentially the 5950X was faster than yours?? 

The poster in that thread is upgrading from a 5950X to the 5800X3D and is seeing anything from 2 to 10 fps improvement depending on the situation. I have never seen the 5950X top yours though apart from what you just wrote above. 

I know! It’s not fair!

maybe I’ve set it up wrongly but I can’t immediately see how 😕 

I didn't even know there was a 3090ti. Funny to see that it's easily available whereas the regular 3090 is still soldout. 

Would I see any performance gains if I were to upgrade from my 3090 to the 3090ti? Not sure if it's worth the $1999 to upgrade my gpu if I'll hardly see any gains, if any at all.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I didn't even know there was a 3090ti. Funny to see that it's easily available whereas the regular 3090 is still soldout. 

Would I see any performance gains if I were to upgrade from my 3090 to the 3090ti? Not sure if it's worth the $1999 to upgrade my gpu if I'll hardly see any gains, if any at all.

No way! It was a moment of madness on my part, just wanted to see what performance [I thought was] the best current kit could deliver for MSFS, but totally not worth it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tfm said:

No way! It was a moment of madness on my part, just wanted to see what performance [I thought was] the best current kit could deliver for MSFS, but totally not worth it. 

Anything above a 3080ti is mainly for bragging rights and value for money goes out the window. You pay twice as much as the previous one for less than 10% improved performance. 

But for the 12900KS I can't help but think you are either overheating and throttling or something with your windows installation or background processes is happening. It cannot be slower than a 5950X, even if I accept that the 5800x3d has some black magic with the extra cache that is killing everything else in MSFS. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Makinen11 said:

Anything above a 3080ti is mainly for bragging rights and value for money goes out the window. You pay twice as much as the previous one for less than 10% improved performance. 

But for the 12900KS I can't help but think you are either overheating and throttling or something with your windows installation or background processes is happening. It cannot be slower than a 5950X, even if I accept that the 5800x3d has some black magic with the extra cache that is killing everything else in MSFS. 

Maybe my Noctua dh15 or whatever it’s called isn’t up to the job?

Do you happen to know if there is consensus about the best “all-in-one” cooling solution for the 1700 socket CPUs? I can’t be doing with lots of pumps etc but I could probably manage to install a “plug-n-go” water cooling solution if the consensus is that it makes a worthwhile difference 

25 minutes ago, tfm said:

Maybe my Noctua dh15 or whatever it’s called isn’t up to the job?

Do you happen to know if there is consensus about the best “all-in-one” cooling solution for the 1700 socket CPUs? I can’t be doing with lots of pumps etc but I could probably manage to install a “plug-n-go” water cooling solution if the consensus is that it makes a worthwhile difference 

Well there's your problem. I have the exact same one on a 7700K. It is a great aircooler (if not the greatest) but it has its limits and for the 12900KS specifically it is not advised. I think if you run a frequency log during your flights you will see your cores not quite reaching above 5 GHz and you should also be seeing temps above 75 C.
What you need for something like your CPU which is the hottest one on the market right now, is an AIO water cooler if you don't want to go custom, ideally a 360mm rad (triple fan) or more, like this:

https://www.arctic.de/en/Liquid-Freezer-II-420/ACFRE00092A

Edited by Makinen11
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Makinen11 said:

Well there's your problem. I have the exact same one on a 7700K. It is a great aircooler (if not the greatest) but it has its limits and for the 12900KS specifically it is not advised. I think if you run a frequency log during your flights you will see your cores not quite reaching above 5 GHz and you should also be seeing temps above 75 C.
What you need for something like your CPU which is the hottest one on the market right now, is an AIO water cooler if you don't want to go custom, ideally a 360mm rad (triple fan) or more, like this:

https://www.arctic.de/en/Liquid-Freezer-II-420/ACFRE00092A

Many thanks ! I’ll look into that!

i must admit though, the temps reported by FPS Monitor are all below 77C and all performance cores show running at 5.2 (with no overclock), so I’m puzzled 

With a flagship CPU I’d go for a custom loop. Like EK-Quantum Velocity² in combination with a PE360 radiator. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

The recent updates seemed to have helped me out. As I mentioned, I'm running it on a RX480 and have about 30fps most of the flight. 20fps on large addon airports.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved