Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

MSFS FREEZE+CTD/100% CPU/Apps clicking + views

Good day simmers,

I am a true lover of the XP11 AND P3D sims, I jumped to MSFS recently because of the airliners it offers with the new releases. However, I also learned the hard way again that it is unforgivable in terms of stability:

1) long flights are nearly impossible. With CPU pegged at 100% sideway apps like simtoolkitpro/AiGTech controller/internet etc. Are freezing because the sim takes all the juice..

2) changing views/using apps and switching between sim and apps cause CPU lockups that end in a death corner freeze and ultimately a ctd. This is intolerable and rantingly frustrating, making me emotionally unstable for a few hours...

3) as immersive as it is AIG shuts itself down regularly during flights or freezes and loses all traffic connection with msfs. Restarting midflight aig seems a no go because of the lockups and loading times.

4) audio stutter and crackling, lockup freezes and after a few times view panning an unforgivable ctd throwing my joy of flight into the garbage can... what shame.

I tried next solutions/ or am on the way to:

1. Update nvidia driver

2. Process lasso higher cpu prio aig-tech

3. Saving during flight every 20 mins. During takeoff and descent each 10 mins.

Questions raise if the aircraft state is saved correctly during a flight save? Otherwise I can conclude the sim is current state un-doable for me.

Trying to find a way out for me. I also turned photogrammatry of again. Other possibilities are to remove add on sceneries and tone down settings.

Trying this, bu afraid of getting into a tweak frenzy killing my joy of flying.

My specs;

i7 6700K - @ 4.5ghz

32 ram ddr4

Msi geforce 1080gtx ti 11gb vram

Windows 10

3tb ssd

I alway start AiG before the sim now. Because as earlier said the sim eats all the juice making AiG not starting in hours..

Would like to hear your views on the sim perf management.

Edit:

Is it perhaps possible to make standard asobo real time traffic to match with AiG? Just like the Vatsim matching option. Looking into that now.

Edited by Piotr007

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

1) I know his gpu is good enough for a 2K monitor. Anybody know about his cpu, I'm not sure how good it is. But that GPU will  get the job done.

2) in content manager you can delete the photogrammetry cities (don't delete the whole world updates). It should be under 1 GB or something like that for removing all the photogrammetry cities. I helps me about 4 fps for sure. You have to go to content manager and in the search  type: photo . Or type photogrammetry. The total to delete will be less than 1 GB (I think). If its like 50 GB then you are deleting the whole World Updates. You don't have and don't want to do that.

3) A 2K monitor will give way better performance than a 1440, and light years better than a 4K monitor. With my specs, I have to run a 2K monitor. But settings are all Ultra except render is 150 and the two LODs are both 200 instead of 200 and 400. I get about 30 fps, more than 30 fps in sparse scenery.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Nvidia Control Panel, 3D settings:

Texture filtering  High performance

Power management mode Prefer maximum performance.

(changes in NCP will not take effect until you close MSFS and reboot it).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Constant CTDs are almost invariably a sign that the system has been overclocked without being fully stable. MSFS like its predecessors taxes any PC to the utter limit and will expose instabilities in otherwise seemingly rock-solid overclocks.

I’ve been doing this for many years so should have known better, but I thought I had got my new PC stable with 5.5 on all 8 P cores - and yet I was still reluctant to believe it was an overclock issue when I got a few CTDs. But eventually I gave in and dialled it back to 5.4 for 8. And … So far so good - but if it happens again, the overclock will almost certainly be to blame. 

Edited by tfm

It happened to me when my cpu was overheating (the water cooler pump was not working right, had to replace the cooler).

32 minutes ago, tfm said:

Constant CTDs are almost invariably a sign that the system has been overclocked without being fully stable. MSFS like its predecessors taxes any PC to the utter limit and will expose instabilities in otherwise seemingly rock-solid overclocks.

I’ve been doing this for many years so should have known better, but I thought I had got my new PC stable with 5.5 on all 8 P cores - and yet I was still reluctant to believe it was an overclock issue when I got a few CTDs. But eventually I gave in and dialled it back to 5.4 for 8. And … So far so good - but if it happens again, the overclock will almost certainly be to blame. 

I can tell from the OC perspective that you are right.

Oc in combination with 100% cpu usage will expose instabilities by these overclocks.

Thing is I got nothing to dial back to instead of downscaling from 4.5ghz as it should run fine on that freq as it is its native max turbo speed.

MSFS will peg every cpu to 100%? Would like to know that because of thinking to buy new pc with an 8-core or such. 12th gen intel or new Ryzen, but hey that is a different story.

I am truly worried about the CPU usage though.

Edited by Piotr007

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

14 minutes ago, Piotr007 said:

I can tell from the OC perspective that you are right.

Oc in combination with 100% cpu usage will expose instabilities by these overclocks.

Thing is I got nothing to dial back to instead of downscaling from 4.5ghz as it should run fine on that freq as it is its native max turbo speed.

MSFS will peg every cpu to 100%? Would like to know that because of thinking to buy new pc with an 8-core or such. 12th gen intel or new Ryzen, but hey that is a different story.

I am truly worried about the CPU usage though.

100% CPU usage is great! It just means nothing is going to waste. In a perfectly balanced setup with even loads, both GPU and CPU would always be running at 100% for best performance 🙂

If your CPU is running at default speeds and voltages (and assuming it hasn’t been damaged by over clocking in the past) the other main culprit is faulty RAM. This can be a pain to track down but MEMTEST is your friend here.

Edited by tfm

3 hours ago, Piotr007 said:

My specs;

i7 6700K - @ 4.5ghz

32 ram ddr4

Msi geforce 1080gtx ti 11gb vram

Windows 10

3tb ssd

I had a very similiar system to yours (same cpu, same overclock, same RAM) and I can tell you MSFS did not like my overclock. Removing it solved the CTD problems. Ultimately, that cpu does not handle MSFS well at high settings. I used for it VR flying, first with a 1070 and then with 3070Ti. I gave up and upgraded. Night and day difference.

Edited by andreh

8 minutes ago, andreh said:

I had a very similiar system to yours (same cpu, same overclock, same RAM) and I can tell you MSFS did not like my overclock. Removing it solved the CTD problems. Ultimately, that cpu does not handle MSFS well at high settings. I used for it VR flying, first with a 1070 and then with 3070Ti. I gave up and upgraded. Night and day difference.

Okay! Interesting stuff. My build is from 2015 so that draws a picture too. Looking into a new pc for sure. I will check a 4.4 ghz and std voltages. Let's see how that works out for the next flights.

45 minutes ago, Piotr007 said:

Okay! Interesting stuff. My build is from 2015 so that draws a picture too. Looking into a new pc for sure. I will check a 4.4 ghz and std voltages. Let's see how that works out for the next flights.

I'll offer my eperience - I tried all kinds of overclock settings. All of them failed. Power surge and temp warnings. CTDs etc. The same with P3D v5. Other games were fine, but not the flightsims. No overclock whatsoever, and it was stable. Stuttery, but stable.

2 hours ago, tfm said:

100% CPU usage is great! It just means nothing is going to waste. In a perfectly balanced setup with even loads, both GPU and CPU would always be running at 100% for best performance 🙂

How do you define 'best performance'?  I define performance as rock-solid, smooth, stutter-free flight.  100% CPU usage is ALWAYS an indication of wretched performance by my definition.  Same same for GPU usage.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

How do you define 'best performance'?  I define performance as rock-solid, smooth, stutter-free flight.  100% CPU usage is ALWAYS an indication of wretched performance by my definition.  Same same for GPU usage.

I mean … the best you can squeeze out of your system at whatever settings are forcing it to use 100% of its resources 🙂 

For more FPS, sadly, the only choice is between newer kit, or lower settings. 

4 hours ago, tfm said:

I mean … the best you can squeeze out of your system at whatever settings are forcing it to use 100% of its resources 🙂 

For more FPS, sadly, the only choice is between newer kit, or lower settings. 

Okay, I have to also add I had with my 4 core CPU hT off because of P3Dv4. It worked better with HT off.

Now I downscaled to 4.3 ghz HT on.

Sound crackling gone and Cpu/gpu @ 50-60%??? I do not understand how HT actually works better with msfs architecture.. it seems. Case for study?🤔

I mean, even in cruise I had task manager open and cpu 100% / gpu 70% ish. Simtkpro was frozen, all aps froze. 4 cores pegged. Now it seems to work better with those extra threads.

Edited by Piotr007