Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Vista 64 & FSX & Add-ons

Guest YukonPete

Will FSX and future add-ons from PMDG, wilco etc run ok on Vista 64bit? I have 4GB of ram and my vista 32bit will only address 3GB due to my 8800GTX etc...

FSX should run as well as the 32-bit version, providing you can get 64-bit drivers for all your hardware (which is getting easier every day now that Vista has released, when it was just XP64 it was much harder :-> ). I know several of the ACES devs (myself included) use some sort of 64-bit OS (XP64 still in my case, too lazy to upgrade) in order to have enough memory available to run both FSX and the Visual Studio debugger at the same time :->For the most part, 32-bit addons shouldn't even know they are running on a 64-bit OS (via the WOW64 layer), so if they work in Vista 32 they will most likely work in Vista 64 as well.

Hi,I am running FSX with ASX and X Graphics ( from HIFI Sim ) all on Vista64 perfectly.Most addons seem to work without problems. Only real issue i have run into is anything using the Reality XP Garmins, such as the DF A36, as these use the real trainers from Garmin which unfortunatly are 16 bit applications. Vista 64 does not support 16bit apps.Cheers,Paul

I have a little different experience and I have decided that FSX + Addons is not ready for Vista (yet) - both 32Bit and 64Bit. FSX might be ready for Vista, but most of the add-ons are not, because add-on developers don't know, don't care or don't spend time enough figuring out how to deal with Vista's DEP issues. The global answer across the board is "Turn off DEP globally", which doesn't cut it for me.Also, in my case, the Vista drivers for my Geforce 8800 GTS are not mature enough - switching between Full Screen and Windowed mode results in graphic glitches and occasional CTDs.I don't have any of those problems with XP.Pat