Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

FBW vs. Fenix for Casual Airbus Flyer

1 hour ago, Oldschool61 said:

Planning isn't flying.

Neither is taxiing but it's an essential step of the process to get in the air. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On 6/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, Oldschool61 said:

How does it do it better?  Ive used it and it doesnt include ILS approaches on any routes just gets you near the target airport.  With the flight planner I can select my sids and stars in the drop down with appropriate ILS approaches with a couple mouse licks and then its automatically entered into the FMC when I spawn.  Tell me how simbrief is better

That's exactly what Simbrief does. It gives you the SID and STAR to use and the correct runways.

It doesn't enter them into the MCDU but that's literally about 2 clicks each. The rest of the route is pulled in though. This is realistic because in reality its not uncommon for SIDs and STARs to change last minute due to a change in weather or traffic levels.

It even gives you the exact fuel to carry and in an aircraft like the Fenix it can load the fuel and passenger loads directly from Simbrief so there's no delving into the MSFS menus at all.

Edited by Tom Wright
  • Like 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

3 hours ago, Gate99 said:

But irl without it there would be no flying.

Correct, but in reall life airline pilots usually don't do the planning. 😉

For me using Simbrief (with the Fenix) is the closest thing to realism and I love it but not everyone is into flight sims for this kind of realism. I also think some 'realism' is odd, like doing long haul flights but going shopping during the flight because it takes so long... I don't like to leave the cockpit during a flight but I also don't like to sit behind the PC for 10 hours so... I only do short flights. But again, that's perfectly fine! It is great to have the option to use MSFS in all these various ways! In fact, that is what makes this hobby so great! Imagine you were forced to do every flight in one specific (and realistic) way... I think our hobby would be dead soon. I certainly wouldn't like that at all! 

Edited by tup61
  • Like 3

On 6/21/2022 at 9:55 AM, Oldschool61 said:

I just fill fuel to the amount I need for the flight.  IF your not sure fill tanks up all the way.  The world planner will fill in all the SIDS and STARS if you select a specific ILS runway.  All you need to do is manage height and speed etc.  Even the auto land will bring you down if your not around.

Its the super nerds who think they have to manually do all the flight planning.  Flight planner makes it simple and imports it into the FMC automatically so you can concentrate on flying.

I use the Experimental version of the FBW. Using Simbrief, and starting cold and dark at the gate, entering the data, loading the passengers, and I'm in the air in 20mins or less. I know it seems intimidating and "super nerdy" but it is not. You need to take the time to watch some tutorials- you will be glad you did. 

As far as the default flight planner, is is a jumbled mess regarding use on the FBW. And even if you DID use the default fight planner with FBW, and took the time to unravel the mess of a flightplan, you STILL have to manually enter the SIDS or STARS. The FBW MCDU's are now a custom deal, to make excellent use of simbrief. Heck the flypad will even load the simbrief flightplan into msfs if you set it to do so. This way you can still use default ATC, with the only difference is that you have to request your final cruising altitude as ATC does not know it. The Flight planner in MSFS is limited and very basic. It will give you nothing but grief with the FBW. 

If you insist that you can't be bothered with all the "super nerdy stuff", I would just stick to the default Asobo A320 for the level of casual flying you are looking for.  

Edited by vyper883

Fenix, FBW and the PMDG 737 too, each on their own, are my best experiences so far in MFS.

Together with Simbrief and default RW Traffic I'm more than good to go each time I look for playing airliner stuff.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

4 hours ago, vyper883 said:

I use the Experimental version of the FBW. Using Simbrief, and starting cold and dark at the gate, entering the data, loading the passengers, and I'm in the air in 20mins or less. I know it seems intimidating and "super nerdy" but it is not. You need to take the time to watch some tutorials- you will be glad you did. 

As far as the default flight planner, is is a jumbled mess regarding use on the FBW. And even if you DID use the default fight planner with FBW, and took the time to unravel the mess of a flightplan, you STILL have to manually enter the SIDS or STARS. The FBW MCDU's are now a custom deal, to make excellent use of simbrief. Heck the flypad will even load the simbrief flightplan into msfs if you set it to do so. This way you can still use default ATC, with the only difference is that you have to request your final cruising altitude as ATC does not know it. The Flight planner in MSFS is limited and very basic. It will give you nothing but grief with the FBW. 

If you insist that you can't be bothered with all the "super nerdy stuff", I would just stick to the default Asobo A320 for the level of casual flying you are looking for.  

I have using simbrief, loading the flight and taxiing  in the Fenix down to around 10 minutes. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

20 hours ago, Gate99 said:

But irl without it there would be no flying.

FYI,  this isnt real life its basically a game that simulates flying.

9 hours ago, vyper883 said:

To bad the developers of the addons are lazy (or just not capable) and dont program in integration so everyone can be happy.

22 minutes ago, Oldschool61 said:

FYI,  this isnt real life its basically a game that simulates flying.

Some may treat it as a game, others don't.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

1 hour ago, Oldschool61 said:

To bad the developers of the addons are lazy (or just not capable) and dont program in integration so everyone can be happy.

Too bad some users are just too lazy (or just not capable) to understand the problem why it’s not possible. Furthermore they don’t seem to understand that it’s the developers free time they donate to the community.

I hope you get why I’ve written that.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AGuther said:

Too bad some users are just too lazy (or just not capable) to understand the problem why it’s not possible. Furthermore they don’t seem to understand that it’s the developers free time they donate to the community.

I hope you get why I’ve written that.

PMDG is free?

8 hours ago, Oldschool61 said:

PMDG is free?

You quoted a text about FBW, not PMDG.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Oldschool61 said:

The FBW team, is anything but lazy. If that were the case they would have left the MCDU as-is. That is such a poor statement, and a first for someone ever saying a negative thing about the FBW team, if I've ever heard one. They have spent months on MCDU work alone, to bring it to a level of real world fidelity. You can see here why FMS/MCDU changes were made: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/feature-guides/cFMS/#special-notes

The FBW team took the default A320Neo aircraft, and have transformed it into a near-study level aircraft, which puts many payware developers to shame. They even forked it out into it's own separate aircraft. The documentation on their website alone, is something to behold. 

Makes me wonder if perhaps this thread's intended purpose is to illicit undesirable reactions. Or then again maybe it goes to show how much you really know. Heck as I said before, why don't you just use the default Asobo A320 and be done with it? According to your grievances, it most likely has the level of casual simplicity you seem to be looking for. 

OR....

You could do yourself a favor and start here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/

Edited by vyper883
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I finally decided to get the Fenix 2 days ago. It is very similar in operation to the FBW. The FMC in the Fenix seems more full featured although I haven't tried out any complex approaches yet. Performance is good on my system, so no complaints there.

I prefer the EFB on the FBW - it has a consistent UI and is pretty full featured. Maybe it's because I'm just used to it, but the latest version really is pretty slick. 

Sounds: Subjective but I'd say the FBW is way ahead here. Flip the battery startup and external power switches and it sounds very close to what you hear on videos of the real thing. This is especially apparent with surround sound speakers.

The Fenix goes way more in depth with things like takeoff power settings. To accomplish this you have to jump back and forward between 2 of the different apps in the EFB and manually enter settings in the FMC. FBW is easier to get quickly setup and in the air. For example take off V-speeds can be set by simply clicking the FMC buttons twice.

Which one to get? I honestly can't say at the moment since I only have a few hours in the Fenix and I may be biased in favour of the FBW since I've been using it since it first came out.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

It depends what you want FBW is great freeware and improving every day the guys are doing great work...

The Fenix is different compared to the NEO but also regarding systems far ahead at this point in time.
From a simulating standpoint I would chose the Fenix, but if you are that casual why don't your try the FBW first.

André