Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

FBW vs. Fenix for Casual Airbus Flyer

On 6/24/2022 at 2:23 AM, vyper883 said:

The FBW team, is anything but lazy. If that were the case they would have left the MCDU as-is. That is such a poor statement, and a first for someone ever saying a negative thing about the FBW team, if I've ever heard one. They have spent months on MCDU work alone, to bring it to a level of real world fidelity. You can see here why FMS/MCDU changes were made: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/feature-guides/cFMS/#special-notes

The FBW team took the default A320Neo aircraft, and have transformed it into a near-study level aircraft, which puts many payware developers to shame. They even forked it out into it's own separate aircraft. The documentation on their website alone, is something to behold. 

Makes me wonder if perhaps this thread's intended purpose is to illicit undesirable reactions. Or then again maybe it goes to show how much you really know. Heck as I said before, why don't you just use the default Asobo A320 and be done with it? According to your grievances, it most likely has the level of casual simplicity you seem to be looking for. 

OR....

You could do yourself a favor and start here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/

Explain to me how the default aircraft are able to integrate the flight planner into the FMC/MCDU

6 minutes ago, Oldschool61 said:

Explain to me how the default aircraft are able to integrate the flight planner into the FMC/MCDU

The previous poster explained it, and linked to detailed documents that explain it further, but no one can force you to understand things if you are unwilling to try.

I suggest you fly the default aircraft. The sim has something for everyone, and if you simply don't like/understand why FBW has decided to not use the extremely limited default FMC/MCDU, then why bother with it?

I've been using the FBW since the very first release - when they DID use the default FMC/MCDU- and the current version is orders of magnitude better. 

Accusing the developers of being "lazy" or "incompetent" is simply unnecessary. You don't like what they are doing, fine, you aren't forced to use their plane. Use whatever makes you happy, and fly however you want. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

It has to be remembered that we cannot do everything. We are all working in our free time, and when you have a lot of work to do + a limited amount of time, you have to prioritize some of it.

Edited by holland786
  • Like 1

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

2 hours ago, Crocket said:

But sometimes you have some free time to do useless system simulation 😄

It's worth remembering that it's entirely possible that different people do different parts of the simulation

C'mon, guys. You have a group of dedicated, hardworking, enthusiastic developers putting together an Airbus simulation for you all for free in between working real jobs, studying, spending time with their families, and all the other things people get up to in their lives. They definitely deserve better than this sort of unfair rhetoric. Especially given they, frankly, owe everyone absolutely nothing. 

Edited by Aamir
I forgot the word "together" because I had two glasses of wine at dinner instead of one.
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Aamir Thacker

23 hours ago, holland786 said:

It has to be remembered that we cannot do everything. We are all working in our free time, and when you have a lot of work to do + a limited amount of time, you have to prioritize some of it.

The FBW 320NX is fantastic and I would like to thank you and the team for all of the hard, unpaid work you have put into it. Many paid products are not of the same quality.

I see it as a gift and you should not have to justify the time or effort spent 👍

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Aamir said:

It's worth remembering that it's entirely possible that different people do different parts of the simulation

C'mon, guys. You have a group of dedicated, hardworking, enthusiastic developers putting together an Airbus simulation for you all for free in between working real jobs, studying, spending time with their families, and all the other things people get up to in their lives. They definitely deserve better than this sort of unfair rhetoric. Especially given they, frankly, owe everyone absolutely nothing. 

I'm glad you responded .. because i typed out a response .. and thought it best not to post it lest i be accused of attacking fellow posters.

I would also like to thank FBW for all their work. I may not get on with everyone on their discord. But the work is appreciated and they put out a very good and ever improving product.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

These guys have worked their butts off for the past two years, to give you something to enjoy for free. Have a bit of respect.

Well said Aamir

Edited by Car147
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

5 hours ago, Crocket said:

But sometimes you have some free time to do useless system simulation 😄

Its quotes like this the reason some people don't deserve anything for free.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ouch re Crocket statement. It is very simple, individuals who make comments like this are simply not happy in life. PERIOD.

To the OP: I purchased the FENIX as my very first airliner in this hobby. Spent many hours learning how to fly this amazing aircraft. Each flight, I learn a little more as I play with the flight deck. Doing ILS, RNAVs and autolands now. Just having a blast with it. Exceptionally rewarding experience but requires good commitment and a pretty descent learning curve to do it right.

• Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

On 6/27/2022 at 10:15 AM, Oldschool61 said:

I can explain it to you, OR......... You can simply click on the link I provided to you earlier in the thread :----------------------> https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/feature-guides/cFMS/#special-notes

To quote FBW: 

"Our custom FMS provides better accuracy and features over the default offering in MSFS which results in issues syncing the flight plan from the MCDU back into the simulator. Flight plans with complex routing may have significant issues if synced backwards or loaded externally through MSFS's simplified flight planning.This will always be problematic unless Asobo improves the built-in flight planner. Other aircraft with complex flight planning capabilities also have this limitation."

• Like 1

To the FBW team

You guys are awesome. Keep up the great work all of you do for this community! Please ignore the unhappy people. 

I use both FBW and FENIX and both are great simulations. Different levels at the moment in terms of systems simulation for obvious reasons (eg failures), but one I paid for and the other one is completely free, so it’s not particularly fair to compare. In terms of day to day flying from A to B both are well simulated. 

Cheers,

Chen

• Like 1

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

6 minutes ago, silentghostx said:

To the FBW team

You guys are awesome. Keep up the great work all of you do for this community! Please ignore the unhappy people. 

I use both FBW and FENIX and both are great simulations. Different levels at the moment in terms of systems simulation for obvious reasons (eg failures), but one I paid for and the other one is completely free, so it’s not particularly fair to compare. In terms of day to day flying from A to B both are well simulated. 

Cheers,

Chen

Same here; just loaded the latest version of the FBW and look forward to flying that for the near future as a break from the 737.   Amazing aircraft for sure from a group of dedicated developers.  

Simon

Simon

Just to clarify @Crocket is on the dev team and was joking around 😄 the video linked is his own (awesome) work 😉

• Like 2

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

Thank you FBW for your hard and excellent work. If it was not for FBW (and WT), I would not be using MSFS.

I bought another study level airliner sim, but yet I find myself using FBW. Great work.