Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Attempted Steam account hijack

Well, that was a little scary.  Someone tried to hijack my Steam account.

Next time you try to log in to Steam and it doesn't accept your name/password, do not do the automatic password reset.  Somehow, someone was able to change the email associated with my account.  Any password change attempt on my part would have sent the request to the spurious email addy.

Instead, first check your email.  I had gotten two notifications on an attempt to change my email, then a third saying it had been completed.  One of the notifications had instructions for retrieving my account, which I was able to successfully do, then I changed my email back to what it was supposed to be along with the account password.  The link was to an authentic Steam site.  I had gotten these email notifications because I had enabled Steam Guard email.  If you haven't done so, you should.  You can optionally have a text sent to your phone.

Even if you didn't get the email you might try going to Steam directly and recovering your account in the case of a bad password.

Good luck.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Somebody half way around the world stole my Steam account once. I guess what they got from the theft was ability to play my games for free instead of buying them.

When I contacted Steam they asked me to mention anything I purchased from Steam in the past and how I paid for it. I told them paypal. They asked me to provide a Paypal transaction number which I did. That proved I owned the account and the thief was blocked and account returned to me.

The moral is to pay for things on Steam with paypal and keep a record of some of those the transaction numbers. The Paypal website can also show you those transactions numbers for all your purchases. Steam keeps a record of those transaction numbers too. But it isn't shown in Steam account details.

A fake user therefore has no way to know any of those transaction numbers unless he also knows how to break into your Paypal account to find them. Which is unlikely.

Steam uses knowledge of purchase transaction numbers to prove identity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Get the Steam App on your smart phone then steam will send you a code to authenticate your account. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Of all things to steal, video games. What a world. One person I worked with said people will steal the stink off feces if it's not nailed down. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

10 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

Of all things to steal, video games. What a world. One person I worked with said people will steal the stink off feces if it's not nailed down. 

My airport had to close some bathrooms recently because people had stolen all the faucets and even toilet seats. Bag carts were also stolen a lot.

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Let nobody accuse Beatrice!

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I just had the same thing with an EA account from 2015 that I used for The Sims at the time.  I haven't had The Sims installed in many years.

This one asked me to click to verify setting up Login Verification.  I didn't, but I did the password change as recommended.  I decided NOT to set up Login Verification 🙂 

Hook

Larry Hookins

I have a Steam account, but the only thing I have bought was FSX Steam Edition.  Guess hackers are not really interested in FSX. 😁

• Like 2

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Someone tried to hack my Facebook account.  Then I got a notification "welcome to mymail" which I can't find any way to cancel.

Last night I got 110 failed delivery notices, so someone is sending spam from my email address. I have changed my email password.

I doubt it will matter how many "games" you have on Steam, or what they are.  This isn't about Steam after all.  <sigh>  Sorry guys (and lady 😄 )

Hook

Larry Hookins

Hm.  They hacked my Steam email again.  I have successfully reset it.

Hang in there.  Good luck.  Don't let this happen to you.

Hook

Larry Hookins

They reset my Steam password, but left email address.  Fixed

Apparently they have hacked my email account, I cannot change my password.  I'll call customer support tomorrow when they're open.  I'm currently logged into my email account (it doesn't work in OE Classic) through the web site, so I'm still getting emails.  At least until I'm auto-logged out.

This is no fun.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Sorry to hear about this, if you haven't already be sure to enable two factor authentication on your email account, steam, and anything else that offers it.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I'll have to check to make sure I have two factor authentication everywhere else.

And... I accidentally closed the browser and lost access to my email account.  Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about being auto-logged off and won't have to worry about keep hitting refresh all night.

Yuk.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Got a notice that some of my Microsoft accounts require attention.  The only way they can contact me is through email.

I guess it figures that they'd be messing with pretty much everything.

Hook

Larry Hookins

@Larry,

Had the very same experience with Steam (3 times in the space of a week - 7 in total). I was able (eventually) to have it all restored with proof of purchase. In the end it was my gmail account that had been "compromised" which also resulted in being locked out of my FaceBook page as well. Result, spending a while changing all passwords (where possible) and creating a new email account (just) for Steam.

As others have mentioned the "people" who hack a Steam account do not really get anything out of it, just create a lot of work for the real owner to get back what is rightfully theirs.

John

• Like 1