Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Attempted Steam account hijack

Thanks, John.  That helps a lot.  Any other advice you could give is appreciated.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On ebay you can buy a steam account and the games already on that account, also includes the email address associated with that steam account.

List (includes Aerofly FS2):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=steam+account+video+games&_sacat=0&rt=nc&Genre=Simulation&_dcat=139973

Example: (an account that owns Warhammer):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325177890314?hash=item4bb61cd60a:g:WDoAAOSwhcRidMtP

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

@Larry,

The reason I was repeatedly "hacked" was a failure on my part to read completely what Steam mentioned in the mails I recieved from them. My Gmail account had been compromised, something I had not realised until my FaceBook account was blocked as well. The first time I tried to retrieve my Steam account the email was sent to the "new" owner. Having a second option (phone) is not something I ever used and if they could change the email address then changing the contact number would be easy for them as well.

It was only when I contacted Steam directly that I was able to do anything about it, there again you've already gone through all this yourself. Since then (Nov last year) haven't been hacked (yet).

I have never used "123456" or "password" as a password but obviously not complicated enough !! Since then I have made sure that any "important" internet connections have new passwords using upper and lowercase letters, symbols etc. and more than 12 characters long. More of a pain to remember (though FireFox stores them) but now have them on paper as well (not in a document on the PC).

John

• Like 1

Got my email account back.  Finally got the web based password change to work.  Whew.  I'm going to stay logged in this time (I checked the proper box), although the last time they changed my password even when I was logged in.  Well, I guess I can change it back now.

If I think my password was spuriously changed I would never ask them to send me an email message to change it. 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Got my Microsoft account info verified, my password didn't work and the email addy to send a new one was correct.  Password reset properly. 

I was already signed into XBox Live, so I guess if I ever want to fly MSFS again I'll be able to. 😄 I haven't flown any flight sim in a year and a half.

If they haven't messed with any of my accounts in the next 24 hours they may have forgotten me and moved on.

If this kind of thing ever happens to you, keep the faith.

Hook

Larry Hookins

On 5/22/2022 at 1:59 PM, G-RFRY said:

Get the Steam App on your smart phone then steam will send you a code to authenticate your account. 

This is an excellent idea... but I don't have a smart phone.  😄  I could possibly use my wife's smart phone but there's some hassle doing that.

I never leave the house alone and I use a land line.  I haven't had any need to pay extra for my own smart phone.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Having your account hacked is frustrating. It would be good to look into setting up two factor authentication on your primary email account(s), as well as your Microsoft account and Steam account. While the best option usually is to use a smartphone app, they usually have other options such as SMS text messages or even phoning you with the code, all of which would help keep people out of your accounts.

A good password manager is also useful to help create and manage unique and more complicated passwords. For a free option, check out Bitwarden.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LHookins said:

This is an excellent idea... but I don't have a smart phone.  😄  I could possibly use my wife's smart phone but there's some hassle doing that.

I never leave the house alone and I use a land line.  I haven't had any need to pay extra for my own smart phone.

Hook

Modern times are a bummer, aren't they?   Sorry to hear about your problems with your Steam account.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

No new account problems.  Blood pressure back to normal.  Still getting lots of spam, but I can deal with that. 🙂 

I'll still be checking for account weirdnesses for a while.  Further updates here as needed.

Thanks for your support.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Been there a couple of years back, you have my sympathy… a Russian thief. I set the double authentification then, hope it works. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Same thing happened to me a couple years back, someone changed the email on my eBay account. 

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case