Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

310R VS C-414 Advice Needed!

Both worth looking at, but if you had to choose only one then currently it has to be the 310.  It's a complete product, probably only one patch away from being as good as bug free and the "A2A" style system depth/wear and tear etc. push it into a category all on its own when it comes to GA in MSFS.    If you want realism and depth in your GA flying the 310 is the puppy for you.

The 414 is beautiful inside and out, the sounds are great but it's currently got plenty of bugs and issues (as expected for an early access product)  Changes between patches aren't always changes for the better and until it get the wear and tear/failures/ownership features of the 310 it will always be an inferior product.    I've no doubt it will be worth getting when complete.. for now it's relegated to my hangar until that point. 

For me the 310 is the standard setter of GA planes in MSFS.  It has unfortunately had the knock on effect of me now refusing to buy another GA plane that doesn't have at least some effort to model wear and tear/failures/state saving etc.  If I'm not flying a Helicopter my choice of planes is now limited to the JF Arrows. The Milviz 310 and the Black Box Trislander

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jfri said:

I have looked at the manual and a couple of things caught my attention

1) The panel has a weather radar but that is not functional. How realistic is that ? Is there hope that it might be implemented later ?

2) The trim buttons on the yoke is not functional. Really not realistic. How do we control trim on this plane ?

Of the three versions (panels) of the plane, only the version with the GNS530 has the inop wx radar (I don't expect this to change). The more modern panels with the dual GTN750s and the Garmin 605 autopilot do not have a wx radar.

The elevator trim is controlled by default Asobo control bindings which you can assign in the sim's control setup section to fit your particular controller hardware.* You can also use your mouse wheel directly on the large trim wheel on the side of the throttle quadrant. I would think both of these options would be more convenient then two small click spots on the yoke handle, but as they say, to each their own.

Al

*BTW, I expect that an updated Garmin 605 AP that supports default control bindings should be available soon from FSW.  You should also be able to set target climb and descent altitudes into the AP's altitude alerter using default control bindings which will be more convenient than using a mouse to turn the altitude alerter knob.

Edited by ark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BufordTX said:

Love the 414, but hate that you can’t adjust mixture (game issue) and when I pull back props, at constant MP, there’s no change in fuel flow.  Completely wrong.  if I set 20” MP, and back down the props from 2500 to 2000, fuel flow (and power) should drop 20%.  It doesn’t.
I have both and fly the 310 more…it is same quality/detail as the JF pipers.  414 has a long way to go. 

I know it’s Asobo fault somehow, but the JF turbo arrow engine works properly.  Maybe magic?

i also prefer switching panels via tablet, not livery. 

I know this was covered in the forums somwhere, but the 414 is turbocharged and the Piper is turbo...there is a difference. The way the 414 has automixture on is a compromise and more "realistic" than adjusting the mixture in a way that you would not do in the real thing. I think maybe it was ryanbatc who discussed it earlier and may be able to give the technical stuff better than I can.

The JF turbo needs to be leaned as well.... (I believe it's turbo normalized but now I can't even remember - I hardly fly the T Arrow) - I don't think even XP get's turbochargers correct.  I'm not sure why it's so tough to crack.  I know there is a user mod on Github regarding the turbochargers.  I want to say that Asobo mentions working on the turbocharger system for SU10 but maybe I am just dreaming it hehe.

user mod:  https://community.justflight.com/topic/2418/partial-fix-for-mixture-logic-in-turbo-engines

The 414 is set to automixture which is kind of what happens, but not really hehe.  I think the levers at least now move but don't affect the engine unless set to cutoff.  I believe it was decided to do it this way.  The other way is just to not have AM enabled but leave leaning up to the user.  Not really a great way either as irl you'd just set power for climb and call it a day till critical altitude - which I think is FL210 for the 414 with RAM IV.

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

Not really a great way either as irl you'd just set power for climb and call it a day till critical altitude - which I think is FL210 for the 414 with RAM IV.

Do you know if the problem is Asobo not modelling critical altitude at all, or modelling it, but it's not working the right way?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

"Plus, the 414 is larger and feels as if it’s larger. It has weight to it and you feel that weight on rotation and approach."

Yes. The 310R is small and nimble and handles like a dream. You can if you like not use any help, no AP, and move the stick or yoke with your feet instead of your hands and do a reasonable landing. It does not fly on rails however, very realistic feel to the flight model. A bigger plane is more of a challenge and you can't go just anywhere in a big plane. It won't always fit and is not as versatile. But a big plane may be exactly what some people are looking for however.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Question about the MilViz 310R.

It says 

"Configurable avionics suite with support for:

• Asobo GNS530/430
  • Asobo Garmin G5
  • PMS50 GTN750 GNS530
  • TDS GTN750XI
  • Asobo GNS530
  • Classic old-skool radio nav"

But what do i actually get with the purchase (besides the Asobo Stuff already ingame)? For example the PMS50 GTN750?

I guess some of these are Mods i need to download seperately or even other Payware? 

26 minutes ago, wiggum said:

Question about the MilViz 310R.

• Asobo GNS530/430
  • Asobo Garmin G5
  • PMS50 GTN750 GNS530
  • TDS GTN750XI
  • Asobo GNS530
  • Classic old-skool radio nav"

Payware would be the TDS GTN750Xi and the Premium version of the PMS GTN 750.  Everything else is standard (the G5's are not great but they work in a very basic fashion).

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

30 minutes ago, wiggum said:
  • Asobo GNS530/430  - Included in core sim
  • Asobo Garmin G5   - Included in core sim (very poor!)
  • PMS50 GTN750 GNS530   - FREE versions
  • TDS GTN750XI - A payware addition
  • Asobo GNS530  - Included in core sim
  • Classic old-skool radio nav" - Included in core sim

I've shown what is stock (or free) and what is payware, to your post above.

Basically, only the TDS GTN750Xi is full payware.  For the PMS GTN750, there is a free version and a more enhanced payware version.

The PMS GNS530 mod is also free (and essential if using the GNS530/430).

[EDIT:   @Ryan, we posted at the same time 😎]

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)