Sign in to follow this  
tup61

Fenix: please consider a proper forum

Forums are outdated, slow and also end up with people asking the same questions over and over again.

I find search on Discord and similar way easier.

Edited by flightskyc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, flightskyc said:

Forums are outdated, slow and also end up with people asking the same questions over and over again.

I find search on Discord and similar way easier.

This is Avsim where folks hate new tech like VR and Discord communications and just don't want to let go of their old CRT Monitors and early 2000 era vBulletin message boards.😆🤣😂

• Like 5

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

17 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If you want to get an answer to a question in a few minutes instead of a few days, Discord is the way to go. 

Yes and no...Fenix Discord yes, days lol. 

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

1 hour ago, Piotr007 said:

+1. This aircraft is a bit dead on arrival for me.

There is a huge screen refresh rate problem for certain users.

I’m guessing you’re rendering your displays on GPU, try CPU, it should go.

Edited by johnnycaptain

Jonathon James

8 minutes ago, johnnycaptain said:

I’m guessing you’re rendering your displays on GPU, try CPU, it should go.

Yeah I take it like someone already brought it up it probably has to do with the intel HD graphics not being enabled as Physx provider. Will look into that when @ home.

Edited by Piotr007

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

41 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If you want to get an answer to a question in a few minutes instead of a few days, Discord is the way to go. 

Yes & No, you'll either get a quick answer or your question will just shoot up the list and never get a response because people have jumped in behind you.

As a replacement of IRC it's fine, for support i've always found it far worse than a forum system.

G

• Like 3

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Discord is a cool place to hang out however, it is not a support forum. Fenix needs a support forum. 

• Like 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

2 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Agreed. It's a total disaster. I hate it too.

It's fine when used as intended, which is as an in-the-moment chat engine. Facilitates friendly chats that don't need permanent records, and current event coordination such as cross country group flights. 

No one criticizes a Chevy Malibu for being a lousy boat. The problem is that Discord is being used as a forum replacement, which is dumb because it's not designed to do that.

• Like 3

Sooooooooo I verified my account on Discord anyway LOL I couldn't help myself. I just need to be able to joing the discussions over there, ask some questions and also answer a few. 😉 A forum would still be great though. 😉

2 minutes ago, eslader said:

It's fine when used as intended, which is as an in-the-moment chat engine. Facilitates friendly chats that don't need permanent records, and current event coordination such as cross country group flights. 

No one criticizes a Chevy Malibu for being a lousy boat. The problem is that Discord is being used as a forum replacement, which is dumb because it's not designed to do that.

Yeah, I decided to NOT jump back to where I left a few hours ago because I'd go crazy. I simply login and check the last two or three 'screens' (which at this moment is something like all messages from the last 5 minutes LOL) and then answer what needs answering, ask what needs to be asked and then move on. Once you've accepted it's not a forum but more like a real time chatbox it can be fun haning around. Give me something to do while waiting for PayPal to become available. 😉

• Like 1

Discord is a glorified chat room like AOL back in the 90s but on steroids. 

I've held my nose and started using it more the past couple of days and it is a great place to get an answer to a question quickly and it's also a great place to see that same answer given to the same question over and over again in the span of a few minutes.

• Like 2

Ryan

8 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

This is Avsim where folks hate new tech like VR and Discord communications and just don't want to let go of their old CRT Monitors and early 2000 era vBulletin message boards

Except Discord is basically a reissue of IRC. Now, the same confusing mess it's back with a new name and interface and renewed hype, and those that weren't there in the 90s, assume it's something "new", when it isn't.

It's a CHAT system, not a forum.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

This is Avsim where folks hate new tech like VR and Discord communications and just don't want to let go of their old CRT Monitors and early 2000 era vBulletin message boards.😆🤣😂

And yet here you are...

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

' Avsim folk hate new tech ' is a major generalisation imo. 

There is more than enough room for fast 'talk sites' and traditional forums as they serve different purposes to a degree.

In audio there are tons of sites on twitch, discord .... and so on and yet "gearspace" the audio equivalent of Avsim is still growing in numbers a lot.

Edited by icewater5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

Except Discord is basically a reissue of IRC

Agree to disagree there, as Discord has also replaced traditional voice comms like Ventrillo and Teamspeak and has a really nice filesharing system. Tons more features to be called just a “reissue of IRC” 

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2