Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

DirectX April update, is it needed?

Guest NYURDRMS

I saw that it was recommended to get the directx April update to help things in FSX SP1. So my question is:I have a 8800GTX card and Windows Vista with DX10 in it, although I know that FSX is running in DX9, do I still need to try to update my DirectX, or will I mess up my DX10 install that came with Vista?Do I even need an update for DX?Thanks in advance for any guidance.Chad

Guest YEGspotter

Don't bother with the April DirectX update - it was for DirectX 9.0c. Vista uses DirectX 10.cheers

Guest allcott

No it doesn't. Not exclusively. It also uses DX9, as of course does FSX. Otherwise would you care to explain how an unpatched DX9 version of FSX even runs on Vista, or why it would need a DX10 patch if it were already compatible?The fact is that Vista uses BOTH DX10 and a version of DX9, and FSX is currently a DX9 game, so yes, you certainly can try the April update - DX is clever enough to not let you put it in if there is already a later version installed or if the version you are trying to install is incompatible.Allcott

Company of Heroes is the only DX10 game available right now, everything else with the exception of a few game demos uses DX9, so it certainly can't hurt to install the April update. And like allcott said if Vista doesn't need it it will say so during the install.

Guest NYURDRMS

Good point, I will give it a shot.On another point, are you sure Company of Heroes is DX10 now? I thought they were still making a patch for that.Thanks again,

Guest YEGspotter

>Don't bother with the April DirectX update - it was for>DirectX 9.0c. Vista uses DirectX 10.>>>cheersMy mistake - I read some bad info on another forum....cheers

>Company of Heroes is the only DX10 game available right now,>everything else with the exception of a few game demos uses>DX9, so it certainly can't hurt to install the April update. >And like allcott said if Vista doesn't need it it will say so>during the install.Lost Planet is DX10 too (but it runs like crap due to being a junk Xbox 360 port...)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>No it doesn't. Not exclusively. It also uses DX9, as of>course does FSX. Otherwise would you care to explain how an>unpatched DX9 version of FSX even runs on Vista, or why it>would need a DX10 patch if it were already compatible?Sorry, but that's incorrect. Vista uses its own version of DX9: DX9.0L to be precise, that is installed along with DX10...DX9.0L is a special version of DirectX 9 for Vista only that allows DX9 games to run with Vista's new driver model.In addition, Aero Glass runs on DX9.0L. Aero Glass is one of the main reasons DX9.0L exists on Vista. :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest allcott

So DX9.0L isn't DX9?What is it then? A whole new API?"DX9.0L is a special version of DirectX 9 for Vista only that allows DX9 games to run with Vista's new driver model. It's not possible to run D3D10 on XP without running in pure software emulation. The D3D10 API was designed around the new driver model in Vista. In addition, Aero Glass runs on DX9.0L. Aero Glass is one of the main reasons DX9.0L exists on Vista"That's the full quote.No, I think DX9 is DX9. And updating using the April 2007 DX9.0C runtime installer will only occur if the installer deems it necessary. According to MS the April runtime is for DX9.0C and earlier, but that doesn't mean there aren't core files that it could update in Vista. Only that it probably won't. So as I said, it couldn't hurt.Allcott