Sign in to follow this  
flightjunkiechicago

Special Liveries - how to ensure it shows up only once

I discovered a nifty online database of special liveries for many airlines by registration number:

https://airportwebcams.net/special-liveries/

Would anyone like it if I compiled it into a single line as required in parameters.xml such as:

<parameter name="SPECIALS" value="F-HTAC,N290AY" />

The site I linked to has "specials" that are multiple aircraft, so I'll leave those out, and only include those that are truly unique (as in only one example IRL).

Any interest?

Interesting, but do note that there is an alternative way of defining specials.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/618009-msfs-sharing-of-aigm-regcode-id-files/

All liveries that have just one registration code in the files in that thread are treated as special. The files were added to psxt_msfs and are used automatically if AIG is checked in the UI.

So there may be a considerable overlap, although psxt_msfs will sort things out and test for uniqueness. 

Edited by kiek

Ah that makes sense! I think I'll work on my way and share with the community as well.

The benefit of using the parameters.xml is that once that list is generated, it covers all known specials in the world that are unique (that's the part I'm going to work on once I download the source data). That way the user doesn't need to wait for the regcode files for each airline to be compiled, which might take a while.

5 hours ago, flightjunkiechicago said:

Ah that makes sense! I think I'll work on my way and share with the community as well.

The benefit of using the parameters.xml is that once that list is generated, it covers all known specials in the world that are unique (that's the part I'm going to work on once I download the source data). That way the user doesn't need to wait for the regcode files for each airline to be compiled, which might take a while.

Yes but that list will become quite large. Note that you don't need to add the ones that do not fly anymore...

It would be better if I put it in dbase.xml, because it is not user specific, assuming it is legal to grap data from that site.

Edited by kiek