Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

What payware jet is easiest to learn?

Compared to these three:

Aerosoft CRJ 700

Fenix A320

PMDG B737

out of the above I’m a little more familiar with the PMDG B737, but still very green.

bonus question:  can you use SIDS/STARS within the built in MSFS ATC?

Ciao!

They can all be learned in a matter of hours by just watching Youtube videos.

Better question for you will be which one will you enjoy the most? Typically people buy the ones they see flying in their local airports or aircraft they have frequently flown on before.

• Like 1

The Airbus is designed to be easier to learn. Just enjoy your journey into flying a modern aircraft.

• Like 4

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

14 minutes ago, briansommers said:

Compared to these three:

Aerosoft CRJ 700

Fenix A320

PMDG B737

out of the above I’m a little more familiar with the PMDG B737, but still very green.

The A320 is the easiest because of all it's automation. Many things you have to do manually in the 737 or CRJ is being done automatically in the A320. Also it's much more user friendly because of it's lights-out-philosophy (= when there's no light on the overhead you are doing everything right), while on the 737 and CRJ you have to know which way the switch should be flipped at.

Also the CRJ has been more or less abandoned with still quite some semi-major bugs left, it's also not as high fidelity as the 737 or the A320 for that matter. Just avoid Aerosoft if you can.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

The A320 is the easiest because of all it's automation. Many things you have to do manually in the 737 or CRJ is being done automatically in the A320. Also it's much more user friendly because of it's lights-out-philosophy (= when there's no light on the overhead you are doing everything right), while on the 737 and CRJ you have to know which way the switch should be flipped at.

Isn't the 737 mostly lights out and everything is OK? The only major exception being the Window Heat (Green) & tell tale lamps for the Anti Ice (Blue).

If the OP is already familiar with the 737 then there's probably nothing in it and depends if he wants to learn something new (the A320) or learn more about something he already has experience with. As a personal note I went with the PMDG (might get the Fenix later) for the cargo & BBJ version, if I was looking at the Fenix I would probably try the FBW first before buying into that - just to see how I got on with Airbus way of doing things.

As for the bonus question - ditch MS ATC and get Pilot2ATC instead (there is a free trial) - far better and copes with SIDS & STARS. You can even tell ATC to give you Vectors instead - which can be useful if they give you an approach that you don't want to fly for any reason...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

2 hours ago, briansommers said:

Compared to these three:

Aerosoft CRJ 700

Fenix A320

PMDG B737

I can't speak to the CRJ as I don't own it, but in the PMDG737 and Fenix A320, both aircraft use advanced, custom FMCs and won't auto-load SIDs and STARs that you may have selected in the MSFS flight plan page.

The SIDs and STARs are pretty straightforward to set up within the aircraft simulations so; especially of you already have experience of hte PMDG 737 in earlier sims.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Does any of these aircraft use the built-in checklist that marks which switch or button to press with a blue light? can you start on a gate with most of the basic settings already prepared, or is cold and dark the only option?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

3 hours ago, briansommers said:

Compared to these three:

Aerosoft CRJ 700

Fenix A320

PMDG B737

You can easily learn any of them.

Some people scare us by calling them "study level"!!!! Whatever that is supposed to mean!

For example the PMDG737 has enough included documentation for a complete flight you can be airborne in no time.

The others probably aren't much different. There are also some good YouTube videos if you can find ones that aren't just click bait garbage!

PMDG 737 or Fenix A320.

I would not recommend the CRJ as it is a typical half baked Aerosoft addon ("oh no, thats not a bug, thats a feature") and you will always ask if you have done an error in handling or if its a bug of the addon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would recommend either the A320 or the 737. For me there is no difference especially if you start fresh. 

The CRJ is wierdly enough most tricky to fly as it misses some automation and vertical guidance in the flight planning. (guessing how fast you need to decent). Also on approach the speed control of CRJ is much more demanding (it creates drag when you are too slow approach, which slows you even further).

Easiest way too get introduced in to study level flying is use the FBW a320NEO mod. If you got used to that then it is only short hop to the Fenix A320. 

but you also can't go wrong with the PMDG 737. As stated before if you local /prefered airline flies with 737 then take that one. 

I don't think the Sid/star are integrated into the ATC. But how about flying online?

@BrianSummers Have you considered the WT CJ4?  Try it from cold and dark - yeah it's not too tough - but a good stepping stone into the PMDG 737 etc (similar FMS style).  And it's free.

Otherwise I'd stick with the free FBW Airbus - find some decent youtube tutorials to go with it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Once you experience the PMDG 737 & the Fenix A320 you have reach the pinnacle. The air is fresher up there. It's less crowded. Every other aircraft add-on will be a toy. Watch some videos & listen to the sounds. Check out the Into The Blue Simulation videos.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Yes, I did start the PMDG 737 runway state and take off and hand fly a nice loop and land all by hand, I will say that it hand flies very well and I think I just answered my own question….

I got it because I only wanted to purchase one 737 model. The fact that this came with the BBJ and a cargo variant was all I wanted. I’d rather haul virtual stuff n things than people.

My problem I have is me more than the plane. I start very enthusiastic about the 737 and about midway of going through the checklist I get mentally exhausted and wear out…information overload? I don’t know.  I’m dyslexic on top of it all, so always having to go over everything 2 or more times ads to the tedium…

maybe tubeliner flying isn’t me…I’ve been having a blast flying the new Milviz C310 - what a visceral experience that is.

Edited by briansommers
  • Like 2

Ciao!

I have flown the PMDG 737 and now the Fenix A 320. I like the Fenix much better, and once you learn the MCDU, the rest is easy. Many Youtube videos on the Fenix A 320 by real A 320 pilots will get you going. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, tpete61 said:

Some people scare us by calling them "study level"!!!! Whatever that is supposed to mean!

The term 'Study Level' is used by flight simulation enthusiasts to describe an addon aircraft that needs some study before it can be used correctly.  If an aircraft can be used by real pilots to help themselves with familiarisation or preparation for tests, then that also fits the description of a 'Study Level' addon aircraft.

The PMDG B737, Fenix A320, Leonardo Maddog MD-80 and Just Flight BAe 146 are all 'Study Level' airliners in MSFS.  Rather than trying to 'scare' people, it is simply a widely recognised term to inform people the extent the developer has gone to to replicate the real aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home