Sign in to follow this  
Lotharen

First Airliner Advice

I suppose it's what you are used to but, personally, in X-plane, I always found the autopilot systems in the 737 (Boeings generally) more intuitive than the A320, especially with me being predominately a GA flyer.

In MSFS, likewise, I find the Boeing autopilot systems more intuitive that the Airbus ones notwithstanding that I now better understand the Airbus way of doing things and their button acronyms.

I certainly find the PMDG 737 easier to fly without constant reference back to the manual than I do either the stock A320 or the FBW version, good though that is.  But as a freebie, the FBW is a pretty fine version.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Being a PMDG beta tester you'd think my answer would be obvious, if not somewhat biased, but it's not what you think.

I'd agree with the growing crowd that the Free FBW A320 NEO is the way to go for a budding airline pilot who's not sure if they'll like the genre' or not...before spending money.

Secondly, me personally would go with the 737 not because of my association with PMDG,  but because I grew up on Boeing methodology, am comfortable with it, and find it easier and more relaxing to fly because of that.

That is not to compare which is better, because in the end it's the one you enjoy flying more that counts to me.   I have both products, flown them both, like them both....and shortly will have painted them both, LOL.

I think that in the end, if the OP takes the FBW route, he/she will naturally be attracted to the Fenix product, because he/she's learned commercial airline methodology from an Airbus perspective.  Nothing wrong with that.  If he/she, wants to see how "the other half flies", he/she may go for the Boeing product. 🙂 

You really can't go wrong with either commercial product when you've made the decision, both are excellent...I hope nobody feels differently about their excellence, if they are being honest with themselves and judge them on their individual merits alone. 😉 

Just remember....."Better" is a very subjective term.  It may apply differently to every simmer, and every package, and every feature compared.

For example...on price....FBW is clearly the winner and always will be!  Other topics may have an apparent 1st and 2nd place, but others will be subjective based on a lot of factors. 🙂  Don't want to hash them all out, as it's clearly not the focus of this thread.

Edited by Steve Dra
Pronoun correction
  • Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks again everyone. Also @Steve Dra That was a detailed breakdown and I have been eyeing the 737 as well. I'm undecided which to go for at this moment but I have Downloaded the FBW A320. I'm actually checking out 737NG Driver's videos to see which I prefer. I like certain aspects of airliner flight but I still love the smaller aircraft to. It's been fun either way and thats all that matters.

7 minutes ago, Lotharen said:

737NG Driver's videos to see which I prefer.

You cannot go wrong with 737NG Driver's vids.

In addition to being a rated 737 pilot currently flying for a major EU airline, he is also on the PMDG beta team, knows the product inside and out, was main contributor to much of the authentic 737 systems, sounds, etc you see in the package, as well as having a very solid presentation method, and an all-around good guy.

Hehe....sounds like I really like Emi (that is what he prefers to be called)...and I do...so much so I've painted the Germania livery for him and will eventually finish Air Berlin by his request.  But those are not the only reasons I painted them (I may have wanted to fly them too, hehe...shhh....don't tell him...better to think I painted them JUST for him) 🤣

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I am like Lotharen and have been flying GA since I first began MSFS2020.  Now I too want to fly the big birds.  Taking the advice given here, I have downloaded and installed the Fly-by-Wire A320.

Now that I'm in the cockpit, I have no idea where to begin.  What is suggested that will help guide me though the various steps I will need?

Roy

Disregard this.  I found what I need on their website.

RW

Edited by Roy Warren

25 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

I am like Lotharen and have been flying GA since I first began MSFS2020.  Now I too want to fly the big birds.  Taking the advice given here, I have downloaded and installed the Fly-by-Wire A320.

Now that I'm in the cockpit, I have no idea where to begin.  What is suggested that will help guide me though the various steps I will need?

Roy

Disregard this.  I found what I need on their website.

RW

Hey RW...you can't go to youtube without tripping over a fully featured tutorial on the FBW a320. 🙂

Too many to list and I'm not at a place where I can quickly look and return a list....But British AvGeek is always a good source. 

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks for the heads up on the YouTube videos. After reviewing the beginners guide on their site I know I've got a lot to learn and much to remember.

I recall a similar situation years ago with FSX and the 757.  It had about 50 steps just to start it up.  I was a lot younger then. 🙂

Thanks again,

Roy

5 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

Thanks for the heads up on the YouTube videos. After reviewing the beginners guide on their site I know I've got a lot to learn and much to remember.

I recall a similar situation years ago with FSX and the 757.  It had about 50 steps just to start it up.  I was a lot younger then. 🙂

Thanks again,

Roy

I hear ya Roy....

The only thing that get's easier as time goes by is the absolute multitude of good vids on how to teach us not only how to fly a modern commercial aircraft (or even an old one like the DC-6) in a flight sim...but also if you want to learn how to make a table, wire your room for RJ45, Cook the best ribs you've ever eaten, etc.

This age of kids growing up have no idea how easy they have it...We had to get all of our knowledge from Encyclopedia Britannica, the library, or Popular Science/Mechanics. 

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Question @Steve Dra So the 737 is fully functional in every way for pilots? Just curious is all. I've seen the Fenix is an older model of the A320 and of course they still arnt saying when paypal will be enabled. Leaning more toward the 737 right now but still undecided. 

I'm honestly surprised they did not go with the most current airliner so I'm assuming these are the bulk of any fleets planes?

Wait for Paypal to kick in and get the Fenix A 320. It is on a whole  other level from other Sim Airliners. A 320 pilots in real life are raving over this aircraft. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

@Bobsk8 Thanks Bob, I may just do that. I've wanted that plane since I saw it was released. I just wish they would get paypal up and running already. I'm on vacation and only have 6 days left! lol

Also, Nice to see another Georgian, I live about 1.5 hrs from Atlanta.

• Like 1

Hope you like the FBW 320 😉 Like with other posters above, I agree its best to start with a study level freeware to check if airliner flying is your thing and if you like it after a few dozen flights, then consider the Fenix A320 as this aircraft is revolutionary for flightsim. 

If you'd like a challenge and do things more old school, you can add the Maddog X MD 82 to the hangar. This is my favourite plane to fly in FS and keeps you a bit more busy. 

• Like 1

I've been flight simming since SubLogic FS 2.0 on a COmmodore 64.  It was not until MSFS that I actually flew an airliner.  I'll echo what has already been said by many, go with the FBW A32NX.  I've put in a couple hundred hours which has helped me learn about  the tubeliners.  😉  I have bought the CRJ (don't buy it as a first airliner - it's a handful) and the PMDG 737 (I'm American, so I have this love for Boeing).  I have since moved most of my airliner flying to the 737 as I myself find it easier to fly than the A3200 (weird, I know).  

Give the 100% free A32NX a go and see if you enjoy flying the airliners.  If so, then look at what you want to try next (continue down the Airbus road or switch over and give Boeing a try).  I've heard many great things about the Fenix and I absolutely love the PMDG 737 (yes, biased - hehehe).  

Good luck in your airliner journey.  It does take a lot longer to get in the air than it does in a prop or turboprop.  😉

• Like 1

There's also Leonardo's Fly the Maddog to consider.  MD-82. Older, but new enough to have a flight management system so you don't have to navigate from VOR to VOR or anything. Not nearly as easy to learn as the glass 'pit planes, largely because Douglas was slightly insane and seemingly stuck buttons in random places rather than thinking about flow. But it's a little sports car of an airliner because it's small with relatively powerful engines. It's a lot of fun to fly, and particularly rewarding because if you fly it wrong you *will* break something, which gives you extra incentive to learn how to treat it properly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1