Sign in to follow this  
Lotharen

First Airliner Advice

So, with the Fenix coming out I took my first step toward flying an airliner. This is something I have never tried, and I was happy to fly general aviation aircraft. To my surprise it's quite fun and more difficult at the same time, at least until I get the hang of it. I want to get my first paid for plane and figured I couldn't go wrong with one of the airliners out there but I'm not sure which. Right now I can't purchase the Fenix because they don't accept paypal. Any other suggestions out there? I figured if I want a paid general aviation the Milviz was the way to go. Still weighing my options.

Anyway, look forward to any suggestions. Happy Flying.

PMDG 737

• Like 6

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

11 minutes ago, Lotharen said:

So, with the Fenix coming out I took my first step toward flying an airliner. This is something I have never tried, and I was happy to fly general aviation aircraft. To my surprise it's quite fun and more difficult at the same time, at least until I get the hang of it. I want to get my first paid for plane and figured I couldn't go wrong with one of the airliners out there but I'm not sure which. Right now I can't purchase the Fenix because they don't accept paypal. Any other suggestions out there? I figured if I want a paid general aviation the Milviz was the way to go. Still weighing my options.

Anyway, look forward to any suggestions. Happy Flying.

First airliner? The A320. See the other thread with basically the same question.
Go for the 737 if/when the A320 has become "too easy" for you 🙂

4 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

First airliner? The A320. See the other thread with basically the same question.
Go for the 737 if/when the A320 has become "too easy" for you 🙂

Hmmm, he must have been typing that as I was composing this message because it wasn't there when I clicked compose. 

I would love to get the A320 but unfortunately they don't accept paypal at this time and are not sure when they will.

Just now, Lotharen said:

Hmmm, he must have been typing that as I was composing this message because it wasn't there when I clicked compose. 

I would love to get the A320 but unfortunately they don't accept paypal at this time and are not sure when they will.

It's only a matter of days, from what I gathered from discord. They obviously want to get Paypal going ASAP.

• Like 1

I had that when I first started but had a few crashes and went back to the stock A320. I've been thinking of reinstalling it now that I'm more comfortable with the stock one.

Just now, Fiorentoni said:

It's only a matter of days, from what I gathered from discord. They obviously want to get Paypal going ASAP.

I asked this morning in their discord and they said they don't have an estimated time frame. Cause initially it was 'a few days' so I figured it had to be getting close.

5 minutes ago, gdjak said:

Just get the FlyByWire A32NX, it's both free and well documented. No reason to spend a bunch of money if you aren't sure yet if airliner flying is the thing for you.

I agree with this. the FBWA320 is very deep for a free aircraft.

• Like 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

3 minutes ago, gdjak said:

get the FlyByWire A32NX, it's both free and well documented. No reason to spend a bunch of money if you aren't sure yet if airliner flying is the thing for you.

This is great advice. The FBW A32NX is not that far off the Fenix. Fenix may model more system failures and such but for day to day operations, FBW models SOP’s just as well. I recommend it not because it is free but because it is genuinely good. For normal ops, you could follow a real world Airbus Checklist pretty much to the tee.

• Like 3

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

11 minutes ago, gdjak said:

Just get the FlyByWire A32NX, it's both free and well documented. No reason to spend a bunch of money if you aren't sure yet if airliner flying is the thing for you.

Second that.
Start with the FBW and its experimental mod. Did fly this for many months. And gives you lot of opportunities to improve your tubeliner skills. 
I own both PMDG and Fenix and tell you that the Fenix is so much more demanding that it’s a real pleasure but without having done the „typerating“ on the FBW it would be even more immersive in terms of well challenging due to the increased system depth. 
the PMDG I haven’t flown recently since it is well somehow older which is not the developers‘ fault at all. Though it at this time indeed lacks some of the neat things which I got used to both from FBW and now Fenix

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

The FBW will get you hooked on the tubeliners, then you can buy something. It is more than enough to get started, super well done. I was a GA guy through and through, enjoyed the FBW, not have the 737 and I am loving that. With the Honeycomb setup, its great. 

• Upvote 1