Sign in to follow this  
Crabby

Looking to map MSFS Nose Wheel Steering

That is what it is called in the sim profiles.  I cannot find it under add Axis Sim Event.  There one that says tiller but don't think it is the right one because, well it doens't work.  In the Fenix everything works right if I map using the in sim profile but dont want to do that because I would have to remember to switch profiles to fly another jet. 

Edited by Crabby

AAL??? Mark "Crabby"  Crabtree

logo_130208.png

For these complex aircraft, one needs to consider using an external app for axis and buttons. Such as AAO, Spad Next or FSUIPC. You get far more options and controls and they have automatic profiles for individual aircraft.

LOL, ok.  I am using AAO and looking to map the nosewheel.  The AAO tiller does not work with the Fenix.  I am trying to find the simvar that is the NOSE WHEEL STEERING axis implemented by MSFS a few updates ago and map it with AAO.  

Again the AAO tiller does not work. and AXiS_TILLER_SET from !!Flight control axis does not work.  

The ONLY way I have been able to get the tiller to work in the Fenix is mapping to Nose Wheel Steering in the sim.  I dont want it in the sim because I have to remember to change that controller profil when I fly the PMDG or the MD80.  I want it in AAO

logo_130208.png

also, yes, I have tried collecting LVARS, HVARS and BVARS too.  

logo_130208.png

The first thing to find out is what the aircraft expects. The tiller in AAO is a software "wrapper" around the rudder axis event. If the Fenix wants something else, this will probably not work correctly. This could be a BVar or any other axis that this plane doesn't use, like FBW does it.

LORBY-SI

I don't know - I've just tested the Fenix with AXIS_RUDDER_SET on my pedals and AXIS_TILLER_SET assigned to my yoke (because the joystick is taken by aileron and elevator).

Works just fine. When I turn the yoke, I turn the nose gear. Above 30 knots my pedals kick in and move the rudder.

What exactly is the problem? I seem to be missing something here.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

When I set it that way and move the tiller, the rudder pedals (in the sim) move also, even at slow speed.  When I set Nose Wheel Steering in the in sim profile, only the tiller/nose wheel turn and the rudder pedals do not turn the nose wheel just the rudder, which is the correct behavior.  This makes me think that AXIS_TILLER_SET is not the same as the in sim NOSE WHEEL AXIS. 

Let me explain again because the above is confusing.

The tiller should not move the rudder pedals nor the rudder.  If I set it as you indicated, the tiller axis moves both the tiller and the rudder pedals.  I have Pedal Disco switch to on, on the tiller.  

If I do not change anything with the Fenix and remove the AXIS_TILLER_SET and assign NOSE WHEEL STEERIN in the sim it works as it should.  Nose wheel only moves the tiller/nosewheel and not the rudders.  If I move the rudder pedals it moves the rudder and not the nosewheel.  

Edited by Crabby

logo_130208.png

36 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

The first thing to find out is what the aircraft expects. The tiller in AAO is a software "wrapper" around the rudder axis event. If the Fenix wants something else, this will probably not work correctly. This could be a BVar or any other axis that this plane doesn't use, like FBW does it.

No, it uses the in sim binding NOSEWHEEL STEERING AXIS just fine.  I am trying to figure out if AAO has access to that as it does GEAR UP and GEAR DOWN.  

logo_130208.png

2 hours ago, Crabby said:

No, it uses the in sim binding NOSEWHEEL STEERING AXIS just fine.  I am trying to figure out if AAO has access to that as it does GEAR UP and GEAR DOWN.  

The "sim bindings" have no relation to what AAO is allowed to do via SimConnect. You cannot compare the two, totally different logic and modules in the sim. Sad but true, you can do things in the sim that you cant do with AAO and vice versa. Most prominent example: camera controls. They are even present in the SDK spec but inop over SimConnect.

And yes, the steering works as you describe with AAO. You can assign a separate tiller control to operate the nose wheel, independent from your pedals. As long as the tiller is active, the pedals are not, and vice vers. Yes, this triggers unwanted animations. But in operation it works correctly - and is the best that can be done at the moment. AAO has its own internal event to enable/disable the tiller btw. and you can apply this whole setup to any aircraft, regardless if it actually has a tiller or not. Or rely on the automatic mode, where the tiller is active up to 30 knots and the pedals become active beyond that.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

K:STEERING_SET works too for turning the nose wheel, but it doesn't trigger any animations in the cockpit. That would have to be done with additional scripting and possibly (L:N_FC_CAPT_TILLER, Number) in the value range of -75 to 75

LORBY-SI

3 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

K:STEERING_SET works too for turning the nose wheel, but it doesn't trigger any animations in the cockpit. That would have to be done with additional scripting and possibly (L:N_FC_CAPT_TILLER, Number) in the value range of -75 to 75

yes, but it also causes the rudders to control the nose wheel, just got done testing it.  Oh well.  

logo_130208.png

15 minutes ago, Crabby said:

but it also causes the rudders to control the nose wheel,

?? I don't understand that part.

Anyway. As described above, since MSFS, and some of the sims before it, don't/didn't have a nose wheel steering option over SimConnect, AAO has a custom solution for that. Yes, the animations in the cockpit are wrong. But it works correctly. 

("custom" because AXIS_TILLER_SET doesn't exist in the SDK. All this is purely AAO internal logic, using the rudder axis to emulate the operation of a tiller. It only works when you have AXIS_TILLER_SET and AXIS_RUDDER_SET assigned at the same time to different controllers)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI