Sign in to follow this  
AJZip

A tip to stop the Reverb G2 'grabbing the screen'

I'm sure this happens with more headsets than the Reverb G2, but ever got too close to your monitor when running in VR and had the headset 'grab' the screen view so that as you move, where the view moves with you? 

It is a common issue with X-plane (there are ways of controlling it) but can happen also in MSFS, although generally more subtly.  Rather than the whole VR view locking onto the screen, as it does in X-plane, in MSFS it tends to glitch the VR view resulting in judders and stutters as you look around the cockpit.  Similar to the stutters you get when your settings and hardware are struggling with the resolution, but a bit more random and where the whole view starts following your head movement for a short distance, then dropping back to normal and then doing it again.

Recognise the problem?

Well, the received/conventional wisdom is that the headset tracking cameras get confused by the bright and moving image shining at them from the monitor screen in front of you (that is, the sim live view) - an image that is often large, bright and close.  And as the tracking cameras work by locking onto fixed shapes as their datum so that they can detect that your head is moving, any stray information that confuses them causes issues.

With X-plane, with the full VR view on the monitor, if you physically lean towards the monitor, then it will often grab that VR view and when you sit back again, the whole VR view comes with you ('grabbing the screen').  The solutions include:

- moving the monitor further away from you if you can

- getting more light in the room so the tracking cameras can still see the fixed shapes around you, regardless of the bright movie on your monitor

- minimising the live monitor/WMR views

- turning off the monitor once you are in VR in X-plane

MSFS suffers less.  Why?  Personally, I think because the monitor view of your VR view is the smaller double image (in X-plane as  it is a larger single movie view).  This pair of smaller 'live' views seems to confuse the tracking cameras less. 

But they still do get confused.  And in MSFS it is more difficult to minimise the 'live' monitor view (in fact, I haven't found any way of doing that).  And switching the monitor off once you are in VR crashes the sim.

So what can be done.  The simplest cure is still to move the monitor further away from your headset. But I can't get my monitor further away as the same desk is where I bolt my HOTAS controls.

So what I tried was to just lean up a sheet of cardboard in front of the monitor just before switching to VR mode.  And it's completely eliminated the judders I was getting.  If you are suffering something similar, might be worth a try.  

But emphatically DON'T drape a cloth over your monitor or put anything else on top of it - that could create a major a fire risk 

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

34 minutes ago, roland_lfor said:

Oh, I have a simpler one, I switch off the monitor 🙄

Well, that's what I do in X-plane but in MSFS, that immediately crashes the sim for me.  Do you have your MSFS windowed or full screen in the general settings?

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Alt-enter, grab the top bar and drag the window to near the bottom of the screen, exposing the desktop. 

• Like 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

4 hours ago, BufordTX said:

Alt-enter, grab the top bar and drag the window to near the bottom of the screen, exposing the desktop. 

I'll try that.

2 hours ago, roland_lfor said:

I'm usually in full screen, but sometimes windowed, and actually never had a CTD after switching off my monitor.

Hmmm...I'll try again, but every time in the past I've tried to switch it off (and I've tried it a few times, but always when windowed), I've had a CTD - unlike in X-plane where switching off the monitor doesn't affect anything (which is, indeed, what you'd expect to be the case).

Anyway the objective, to anyone who is suffering this problem, is to somehow stop the headset cameras seeing the bright, moving images on the monitor screen 🙂   I'll try both of the above techniques too, but in the event those don't work for me, I'll keep the sheet of cardboard handy 😃

I made a suggestion a while back to show a grid of white dots on a black background or something when in VR. Give the cameras something to track and save a few GPU cycles.  Went nowhere. Switchable on off for oleds. LCDs don’t burn in. 

I mean, the goggle window is useless. 

• Like 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

1 hour ago, BufordTX said:

I made a suggestion a while back to show a grid of white dots on a black background or something when in VR. Give the cameras something to track and save a few GPU cycles.  Went nowhere. Switchable on off for oleds. LCDs don’t burn in. 

I mean, the goggle window is useless. 

Hmmm...I have another piece of cardboard....and a hole punch 😉

If I get a moment, I'll give it a try.  Great idea!