Sign in to follow this  
molleh

Approaches with holding patterms

P2ATC has been assigning me ILS approaches at several airports which appear to have holding patterns which I assume would only be utilized when traffic is heavy and ATC needs you to, err, hold. However what P2ATC keeps doing is assigning me one of these approaches with a 'transition' that includes the airport VOR - so it's this unusual flight path overflying the airport then going into the holding pattern and turning back to intercept the ILS.

Am not a real pilot so I'm fully ready to acknowledge there's a common IRL practice related to this that P2ATC is teaching me about, but something tells me the behavior might be more of a bug than anything else.

spacer.png

This is a common real life approach transition type.

Outbound from the GFK VOR on the 354 radial, at or above 2600'.

After passing FOD1B, make a procedure turn West of the radial to be inbound to FOD1B at or above 2600'.

Descend to 2500' after passing FOD1B and fly the fly the ILS as published.

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

This is a common real life approach transition type.

Outbound from the GFK VOR on the 354 radial, at or above 2600'.

After passing FOD1B, make a procedure turn West of the radial to be inbound to FOD1B at or above 2600'.

Descend to 2500' after passing FOD1B and fly the fly the ILS as published.

Dave

Thanks Dave. P2ATC is teaching me things 😃 

I could make another thread, but I'll just ask here: I have the auto load recommended procedures option checked and filed a flight plan with direct departure waypoints. When getting clearance I was given a SID but the SID does not auto load into the flight plan, I have to manually add it. That's not a big deal, but is the option not doing what it's supposed to or am I misunderstanding the purpose of that option?

Thanks, as always! I've been singing the praises of P2ATC amongst my peers, lol.

The Autoload procedures should load procedures into the plan when you File the flight plan.

After that, if ATC makes a change, then you need to load it yourself, as you would in the real world.

Dave

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

The Autoload procedures should load procedures into the plan when you File the flight plan.

After that, if ATC makes a change, then you need to load it yourself, as you would in the real world.

Dave

Understood. 👍

For clarity, the normal situation would be a vectored approach to intercept unless you requested the full approach for some reason(training). When there is significant traffic flow, you might have to fly the full procedure or hold. It's been a long time since I have had to hold to join an approach. I would get them flying into Frankfurt from the USA. You would arrive during morning rush hour and they would stack you over Rudesheim and you would hold as they step you down until it was your turn to flow into the approach. I would also see this in austere African locations where there was limited RADAR coverage. They would clear you for the approach and you flew the full procedure in order to establish and shoot the approach. In the military, we would ask for the full procedure with a turn in holding for training purposes all the time. I imagined it was annoying for the controller because they would have to deal with our shenanigans while flowing in vectored commercial traffic  at the same time. It would be awesome if flight sims could control AI traffic and flow them in and utilize full approaches if needed. Now days, arrivals and approaches flow you in with sequence.

16 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

For clarity, the normal situation would be a vectored approach to intercept unless you requested the full approach for some reason(training). When there is significant traffic flow, you might have to fly the full procedure or hold. It's been a long time since I have had to hold to join an approach. I would get them flying into Frankfurt from the USA. You would arrive during morning rush hour and they would stack you over Rudesheim and you would hold as they step you down until it was your turn to flow into the approach. I would also see this in austere African locations where there was limited RADAR coverage. They would clear you for the approach and you flew the full procedure in order to establish and shoot the approach. In the military, we would ask for the full procedure with a turn in holding for training purposes all the time. I imagined it was annoying for the controller because they would have to deal with our shenanigans while flowing in vectored commercial traffic  at the same time. It would be awesome if flight sims could control AI traffic and flow them in and utilize full approaches if needed. Now days, arrivals and approaches flow you in with sequence.

That's kind of what I was thinking, based on knowledge I've sort of "osmosised" over the years. It seems like P2ATC is defaulting to this type of approach if one is available at an airport and active runway.

It would be difficult for P2A to differentiate between those approaches where the procedure arrival is required, such as those in a valley, and those suitable for vector. Only option I could think of would be a tick box in the airport manager mandating the procedure arrival.