Sign in to follow this  
Brandon01110

Top Gun DLC?

I uninstalled the Top Gun Update...👎 The spy plane is junk, the carrier challenge is a joke, and all the other challenges either don't work as advertised or a complete waist of time.  It's getting to a point because of drive space any new installs have to be worth it.  I already have Asobo's F/A-18 with a nice third party mod.  I have the Top Gun scenery for Fallon, Miramar, and Area51, and whatever little airport Maverik calls home in the Nevada desert.  TOP GUN to be honest is the worst DLC content Asobo has released and to think this has been sitting out there unreleased for a year the mistakes and cheesiness of the effort is troubling... Asobo had more than enough time to go back, clean things up, really polish it, and make this DLC amazing.  😌😐

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

8 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Could base FSX do solid moving objects, or was that functionality added with Acceleration? IIRC they said MSFS was originally built on base FSX without acceleration, but they seem to be slowly adding in acceleration features. The F-18 has has a tailhook since launch, and SU9 added the launch bar animations.

Also in the config files is something called 'hasmovingplatform' so I guess that means you can attach that to models that move like AI boats. 

No indication of being able to spawn though. 

And the deck crew have many, many different animations that you don't really get a glimpse of in the landing challenge. 

Edited by superspud

17 hours ago, Dillon said:

Your backing him into a corner because he just realized he's not making any since...😁

I know what i'm saying, the message probably didn't get through maybe because i'm not a native English speaker and what makes sense in my mind might not make sense in yours.

I was just ranting/complaining about this kind of publicity stunts which are usually seen in games and it felt out of place for me inside the simulator, but MS sees it as a money-making game anyway, so i guess i have to deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I didn't even touch it, it is there but that don't boder me..

Just do my flight as allways, would not DL this Update.

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

I uninstalled the Top Gun Update...👎 The spy plane is junk, the carrier challenge is a joke, and all the other challenges either don't work as advertised or a complete waist of time.  It's getting to a point because of drive space any new installs have to be worth it.  I already have Asobo's F/A-18 with a nice third party mod.  I have the Top Gun scenery for Fallon, Miramar, and Area51, and whatever little airport Maverik calls home in the Nevada desert.  TOP GUN to be honest is the worst DLC content Asobo has released and to think this has been sitting out there unreleased for a year the mistakes and cheesiness of the effort is troubling... Asobo had more than enough time to go back, clean things up, really polish it, and make this DLC amazing.  😌😐

Just a theory on the DLC needing polish (something I know all too well that Asobo severely lack...), it could well be that once it was "finalised" last year by the licensing agreement that they couldn't go back and alter things as that agreement was Final.

These type of DLCs that are tied to big money making schemes with massive "customers" (the Top Gun Franchise, Hollywood etc in this example) do suffer from immense Red Tape, license demands, contracts and stuff. Not saying that *is* the case here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true (I've seen it before in other simulations).

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

19 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

They want to add the carrier to free flight eventually.

This is extremely disappointing to be honest.  I was looking forward to doing carrier landings in multiplayer without relying on people to download 3rd party content.  What a let down that we have to "wait".  Asobo, you really missed "the ball"  on this guys.

• Upvote 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

all the other challenges either don't work as advertised or a complete waist of time.

Just tried the low level flight challenges - they work and are fun but sure aren’t easy to score high on the first few go arounds.

Hi,

I wonder if the Top Gun Maverick screens are used by Asobo to cover up the lack of success of WU IX Italy and Malta.

Greetings

1 hour ago, John Fields said:

Hi,

I wonder if the Top Gun Maverick screens are used by Asobo to cover up the lack of success of WU IX Italy and Malta.

Greetings

That's complete junk. They did it to advertise the new DLC and movie, nothing more, nothing less.

So I think I've nailed down getting the Darkstar into hypersonic, now I need to figure out how to reliably get it back to Earth.

Edited by Tuskin38

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

So I think I've nailed down getting the Darkstar into hypersonic, now I need to figure out how to reliably get it back to Earth.

By all means share your results.  The Darkstar was one of the reasons I uninstalled the DLC.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

58 minutes ago, Dillon said:

By all means share your results.  The Darkstar was one of the reasons I uninstalled the DLC.

The knack to hypersonic is getting enough speed in your first dive. I wasn't doing that and kept running out of puff. Get up to 1.5 or so in the dive at 35,000 ft ish and then head upwards. 

You should hit Mach 3.6 and then turn on the scram jet by pressing the button made up of squares on the front panel and then flick the jet switch. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, superspud said:

Also in the config files is something called 'hasmovingplatform' so I guess that means you can attach that to models that move like AI boats. 

No indication of being able to spawn though. 

And the deck crew have many, many different animations that you don't really get a glimpse of in the landing challenge. 

I have also been looking into this today splitting the files apart to see if there is something to learn - the problem is that while the carrier can be used outside the Challenge mission (though without the tower), it does not bring the hard deck outside the challenge despite calling the exact same model... There is a runway definition in the carrier file with attach points but... well have to look more into it... I have 300 ships in the Global AI Ship Traffic package which used to have hard decks in FSX and P3D so would really like to crack this one... Henrik

22052607381216112917905961.jpg

22052607371916112917905960.jpg

As the carrier model when used as AI  appears without the superstructure and the bridge I let the USS Bainbridge from Global AI Ship Traffic give her a tow... The frigate include in the landing challenge is so hopeless that I wonder if I should offer Asobo one of my homemade amateur models just to get rid of that ugliness...

Edited by KL791
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Is this a new mod by Fenix?

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

23 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Anyone know why the top secret plane, the Darkstar, has to invert itself? I just did the Darkstar mission.

Was that a common procedure with the SR 71 as well, that the SR 71 had to invert itself? What it the scientific/physics reasoning that the SR 71, or in this case, the Darkstar, has to invert itself?

You can pull more gs that way, in this case downward.  Engines under delta wings don’t like negative aoa. That’ll stall their compressors.  Just ask the tu144 pilots that tried that to avoid the French spy plane at Paris. 

• Like 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

Asobo can model a scramjet at Mach 9, but a turbo charged piston engine from the 1960s has them completely bumfuzzled. 

• Upvote 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58