Sign in to follow this  
TrentXWB

Where to get MSFS

Hi all,

I have been on P3D and wanting to try MSFS and now steam is having a sale but I dont know which platform to get it? Should I go to Steam or Microsoft store which also has a sale now? Which of the 2 platfroms offer the fastest update and simplicity?
Thanks

I have it on Microsoft store but if I had to do it all over again it would be on Steam.  

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

steam without a doubt.  history has shown updates to be easier and less hassle.

• Like 2

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

And, it's 20% off on Steam right now.

• Like 3

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

23 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

steam without a doubt.  history has shown updates to be easier and less hassle.

I agree with that for the first year.  Update process with the MS Store/xBox version has finally settled in after over a year of total frustration when updating.  It has been easy recently. 

Another consideration I realized is that if you purchase from one source and later decide to migrate to the other source you will likely lose the licensing for payware products you purchased and installed for the first source, forcing you to repurchase them.  And that may not, I say may not, be limited to just those add on products purchased from the MS Store. You can purchase addons for either MSFS source from Marketplace, and some products are only available on Marketplace.  So you need to be comfortable with which MSFS source you choose, MS Store or Steam. 

For that reason today it would be Steam for me.  No question.  Be confident you are purchasing only once!

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks all. 

When I buy 3rd party addon like Flightbeam, Orbx, FlyTampa; does it matter whether I buy my MSFS on Steam or MS store?

10 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

Thanks all. 

When I buy 3rd party addon like Flightbeam, Orbx, FlyTampa; does it matter whether I buy my MSFS on Steam or MS store?

They work on both versions equally as long as you buy them from their stores and not the in-sim marketplace.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

Thanks all. 

Not certain how that plays out if you later change your MSFS installation from one to the other. But if you go the current consensus safer route then it does not become a factor.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Not certain how that plays out if you later change your MSFS installation from one to the other. But if you so the current consensus safer route then it does not become a factor.

Back before they did Sim Update testing on steam, I had the MS Store and Steam versions sharing the same community folder via a symbolic link in windows. Worked fine.

Edited by Tuskin38

The one advantage of buying from MS store is that your purchases are also valid on the Xbox version of MSFS. So if you or your family has an Xbox console and might want to add MSFS on it some day, then you would save money by avoiding going through Steam.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

How about if I bought my MSFS on Steam, can I buy stuff from MS market place?

Yes, you can.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

13 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

How about if I bought my MSFS on Steam, can I buy stuff from MS market place?

Note that if you decide to switch to MS Store version later for whatever reason, you won't have those purchases.