Sign in to follow this  
IanHarrison

The new truth or Heresy?

I have always followed the P3D bible that you should run unlimited frames in the sim and limit to 30fps externally (being the refresh rate of my Monitor divided by 2).

By mistake, I ran my sim without NCPanel having those settings. Still had max performance etc. but no fps limiter and vertical sync was set to fast.

To my amazement it made absolutely no difference to the visual display. FPS varied between 5 and 80 (5 when loading Sydney on the approach, the only time it dipped really low).

Stutters on loading were no worse and I could not visually detect any difference in the display.

So, is the Holy Grail of P3D not valid any more?

Ian

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I dont think its been valid for a long time. I run unlimited unlimited no issues here PMDG,FSLABS, Leonardo and Majestic.

Darren Howie

I suppose it depends on what GFX settings and 3rd party items are being run.

I do run unlimited in the sim along with a 30 Hz vsync as it provides for display smoothness while allowing the settings ramped up almost to max.

Noting the 30 hz vsync automatically swaps back to 60 hz when P3D is closed.

I do though have all Orbx and many other options such as HD buildings, Terraflora II, Rex clouds and many HD addons built up over years of use, with a lot purchased back in my FSX days.

Additionally I have some highly customised configurations including customised shaders for the look and feel.

Although even with a 30hz vsync I can still max out my 3080Ti GFX card to 100%, maybe next gen GFX card models will have enough power to always have a fully maxed config. 🙂

Cheers

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

spacer.png

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D