Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

MSFS 2020 is Not Detecting My Sidewinder Joystick

Hi,

I've purchased the MSFS 2020 yesterday and now have it installed. But it's not detecting my joystick. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and I have the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. It works just fine in FSX and P3D. Will the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 work in MSFS 2020, and why is it not detecting my joystick?

Ken.

Edited by kmanning

Hi Ken,

I don't know the why for your issue but I have a MS FF2 and it works fine in MSFS with Win 10.

- TONY -

I also have the FFB2 and it works fine, but I think I know why you're having trouble.

Presumably because it's an older joystick, there's no default profile assigned to it. Basically...it's blank. You have to go into the controller options and do the tedious job of assigning the various functions to your joystick.

NOTE! For the roll, pitch and yaw axis, make sure you assign the correct axis binding! When I first started it, I had them assigned to the wrong bind and ended up going 100% full surface control instead of the responsive axis it should be.

I don't understand that, but thanks for confirming that someone is using the FS FF2 and it works fine in MSFS2020. I'm wondering if I installed MSFS correctly. When I tried to make a purchase, I had a problem and it kept telling me that my cart was empty when it was not. So, I complained about it on Chat and they processed the order for me. When they sent me a confirmation, I never received it, and they even tried to resend it. But they gave me a link with instructions on how to install it. But it does not make clear about a lot of things. I've purchased the Premium Deluxe but in the instructions I've received, it tells me to install the Standard version of MSFS2020. It tells you to click on "Install" but that is NOT what it says. It says, "Install using Xbox, and I don't  have Xbox and don't even know what that is. There are a lot of things that they are not making clear and they are TOO general explaining things and not explaining everything in detail!. I spent hours trying to figure out things because they don't explain everything that needs to be explained. I followed every step, and where it says to click on a button or something, it's not there or that is not what it specifically says. When it says click on "Install," it does not just say "Install." It says "Install using the Xbox," or something like that. They asked me if I would be using Xbox  or a PC to run MSFS2020. I told them I would use a PC. So, I'm  wondering if I should have clicked and installed it from the Xbox, and I'm wondering if this is reason for not detecting my joystick. It shows both the standard version and the premium deluxe version, but it was the premium deluxe that I've purchased, and I don't understand why it shows the standard version in the list of apps. There is an icon that appeared to be a download button, but it didn't do anything when I clicked on it. So am I supposed to install both the standard and the premium deluxe? None of this makes any sense to me and I need a lot more thorough understanding about this. It seems to me that since they knew I would by using my computing to run MSFS2020, they would not send me instructions with buttons that say "Install from word not allowed."

Ken.

Edited by kmanning

19 minutes ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

I also have the FFB2 and it works fine, but I think I know why you're having trouble.

Presumably because it's an older joystick, there's no default profile assigned to it. Basically...it's blank. You have to go into the controller options and do the tedious job of assigning the various functions to your joystick.

NOTE! For the roll, pitch and yaw axis, make sure you assign the correct axis binding! When I first started it, I had them assigned to the wrong bind and ended up going 100% full surface control instead of the responsive axis it should be.

Yes, the Sidewinder FF2 is an old joystick. You're right that it's blank and it's not showing a profile. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly but I went into the controller options and try to assign the axes, but nothing comes up where it allows me to move the joystick. I guess that's what you're referring to. Would you give me the details so I'll know if I'm doing this correctly?

Ken.

Edited by kmanning

11 minutes ago, kmanning said:

it's blank and it's not showing a profile.

If you see this (the question mark), it does not mean that it is not working.

3iqgqt.png

- TONY -

14 minutes ago, Simicro said:

If you see this (the question mark), it does not mean that it is not working.

3iqgqt.png

Well, during the installation, it showed my joystick with a red box around it and it said it was not detecting my controller. But yes, the blank picture and the question mark is what I'm seeing. By the way, in the list of apps that appear when I go to the apps store to download and install, am I supposed to install both the standard and the premium deluxe versions? And did I do it correctly by clicking on "Install from Xbox." even though I'm using the computer to run MSFS and not Xbox?

Ken.

Edited by kmanning

By the way, I do not see anywhere in the sim where is says anything about my controller profile, just Control Options, not Profile.

Ken.

40 minutes ago, kmanning said:

Well, during the installation, it showed my joystick with a red box around it and it said it was not detecting my controller. But yes, the blank picture and the question mark is what I'm seeing. By the way, in the list of apps that appear when I go to the apps store to download and install, am I supposed to install both the standard and the premium deluxe versions? And did I do it correctly by clicking on "Install from Xbox." even though I'm using the computer to run MSFS and not Xbox?

Ken.

Yes you installed it correctly. The Premium Deluxe is like an add-on in some ways - everyone has to install the Standrd edition, and then people with Premium Deluxee get to install that on top, adding the extra planes and airports. 

I have a FF2 and it works perfectly( no force feedback of course). 

47 minutes ago, kmanning said:

am I supposed to install both the standard and the premium deluxe versions? And did I do it correctly by clicking on "Install from Xbox." even though I'm using the computer to run MSFS and not Xbox?

I bought the standard version. If you bought the Deluxe version and it displays Standard + Deluxe, I think there are 2 possibilities:

1) You install the Deluxe (but as Deluxe is higher, it gives you the possibility to install the Standard only)

2) You install the Standard and Deluxe as an upgrade.

But wait for someone who has bought Deluxe say what is right.

Regarding Xbox; it does not refer only to the X Box console but also to the X Box app that you have to install on your PC in order to install MSFS.

Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

I had a quick look at one of three of my controllers in MSFS [2020].

Note: had trouble getting screenshots in so trying again now.

spacer.png

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Here is the Thrustmaster throttle in MSFS [2020].

Note : I did not know how to get two screenshots in the previous post.

So, doing it here:

spacer.png

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

There are YouTube videos explaining this stuff and virtually anything else you want to know regarding MSFS and addons. I would suggest you review them if you're having problems, but here is some basic stuff to get you started.

1.) "New" creates a new profile which you will give a name (typically a generic name like basic if this will be a profile used to copy to create others, or an aircraft name if specific to an aircraft - which I do mostly for aircraft specific sensitivity settings, and/or aircraft specific functions)

2.) "Duplicate" (if you want to use most settings in an existing profile but change a few things for the same or different aircraft - it will ask for a name for the new copy)

3.) "Rename" in case you want to give an existing profile a different name - I find short names are easier to read when scrolling to look for a specific profile.

"X" is to clear all current bindings.

The counter clockwise "circle-arrow" is reset bindings to default

Trash can is obvious.

Here I have created a new profile by clicking on "PRESET MANAGER" (shown bottom left of image 2 below), then I clicked 1.) "New" and named it TBM930. Notice in the "DESCRIPTION WINDOW" there is a "?" - that's okay, and as far as I know it is not possible for the user to edit that info. I could have also just selected 3.) "Rename" to use the empty profile, which is what you have now, and just rename it to something meaningful then make your assignments (I'd actually suggest this route rather than create a new one, or else you'll have a profile called "SIDEWINDER FORCE FEEDBACK 2 JOYSTICK" + the newly created and named profile.

spacer.png

Here is my newly created profile showing control surface assignments for elevator, ailerons, and I use the POV hat for rudder and elevator trim, with buttons 5 & 6 for increase and decrease flaps (increment/decrement)

spacer.png

This image shows the same profile, but scrolled to my throttle settings

spacer.png

And finally, MAKE SURE TO CLICK "APPLY AND SAVE" (or F11) to save the profile before clicking "GO BACK" or you'll lose all the changes you made and will have to start over.

It's all sort of clumsy, but once you get the hang of it you'll find it's not too difficult.

spacer.png

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

kmanning,

Did you get it figured out?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

2 hours ago, somiller said:

kmanning,

Did you get it figured out?

Hi Somiller,

Yes, I finally got my FF2 to work but the flight controls are way too sensitive and have to make very small movements with the joystick, and I can tell you that I've flown planes and you do not make very small movements with the control wheel. I know I can turn down the sensitivity in the Control Options but the problem with that is it's not linear through out the curve. If you move the joystick out far enough, it will rapidly make a violent maneuver because of the sudden rise and drop in the curve. I don't like joysticks where you have to make very small movements to make a turn, a climb, or decend because that's not how the real planes fly. I also don't like joysticks with heavy springs that provide hard return to center forces. The control wheel in real commercial planes do return to center, but not with hard forces like I've experience with some spring action joysticks. Small planes like Cessna's do not have return to center forces. You can feel the forces on the control surfaces when flying but it's not hard and heavy. What I like about the FF2 is that it will return to center without the hard spring action forces but it is so out of date, and uses generic drivers. I'm trying to debate on what is the best one to buy and one that will provide the most realistic control movements. Can anyone give me their opinion on how they like their joysticks?

By the way, thanks for posting the information about how to do this. Where is the manual or the documentation for MSFS2020? I can't find it anywhere.

Ken. 

Edited by kmanning